Previous   Next

Would you buy something from an infomercial?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway on July 13, 2009

Browse the archives

“No, I just don’t trust things on television. If it looks too good to be true, it usually is.”

“Yes, I buy workout videos.”

“Probably not. I don’t ever watch infomercials because they really bother me.”

“Definitely not. I just like to see what I’m going to buy.”

Comments

sgtwolverine 5 years, 5 months ago

Now that Billy Mays is gone...probably not.

RoeDapple 5 years, 5 months ago

No, but have a friend who has. After seeing the poor quality of the purchases she has made only reinforces that "NO"!

(But wait, there's more!)

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

Never..... except for the Popells pocket fisherman, vegematic, sham-wow, oxy-clean, and that pill that makes that special part of the male.... larger, (and it was kinda fun too)

trinity 5 years, 5 months ago

only if vince schlomi(sp?) is the pitchman!

long live vince schlomi! :)

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Speaking of commercials, when are we going to lose the g-string/cellulite combination we've got going a bit to the right?

And no, no to infomercials. Especially when they have the "expert visitor."

Doctor Lesko, you're a doctor, what do you say about a pill that can do all this?

Well Julie, in my professional medical opinion it's physically impossible. . . which is what makes 7 in 1 heartaid/colostomic/weightloss/greymatterinducer/lungcleaner/musclebuilder/manlarger Excitia an absolute dream come true, and not a fraud at all!!

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 5 months ago

bronze (Anonymous) said…a President?

There's a sucker born every minute.

beawolf 5 years, 5 months ago

I've been thinking about getting a "Sham-wow".

SandCoAlmanac 5 years, 5 months ago

"Infomercial" must be a releasing word for me, so here goes: 1. No, but my ex-spouse has 2. No, especially not since I saw what it did to Opus in Bloom County. If 'alcoholism' is the addiction to alcohol, is 'infomercialism' the addiction to infomercials? Poor Opus. 3. I miss Bill the Cat and I miss Opus, especially since learning he was named after two songs recorded by Kansas back in the mid-70's. 4. Since I live in the boonies, I subscribe to DirecTV, although that is beginning to look like a mistake. It seems there are more infomercial channels, and even infomercial programs inserted into previously 'normal' channels than ever before. Here's a question for anyone who subscribes to the Dish network: is the infomercial population boom occurring there also? If you read this, thanks for your time.

trinity 5 years, 5 months ago

sand-from a small town Dish network customer, i doubt Dish is much better; there's tons of inofmercials on Dish also. channels dedicated to 'em plus seemingly normal regular channels that seem to show way too many infomercials. they must be profitable, otherwise how could they keep on&on? watched a documentary just last week about infomercials, it was pretty amazing...it was filmed before billy mays passed away, he was one of the featured guys...and also ron popeil! that dude is rollin' in the dough and makes no apologies or bones about it.

Stat_Guys 5 years, 5 months ago

Go find yourselves. Updated list with a new king of the hill. Take your helmets. http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/you-a...

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

I am happy with my Riddix and very glad I got it. It takes care of the bugs with no chemicals and no traps for my cat to stick his paw into. I also have the Shedender and the claw trimming device and they work very well. My granddaughter got the plastic bags that you can deflate with a vacuum and when she was between apartments stored all of her winter clothes and blankets and other things in one corner of the living room of her mother. Oh, and the can opener that has a magnet and you put it on and it just turns around by itself. Very good for these old hands. The jar opener is very helpful also.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 5 months ago

all commercials are infomercials. the difference is whether or not you want to get off your a$$ and go buy it at the store. With the advent of internet, we can all check out that too good to be true item and see what other people think of it.
I'm sure half the people that said no, will most certainly see a new prescription pill or bottle of laundry soap and make a bee-line to the doctor or supermarket immediately.

Satirical 5 years, 5 months ago

No...unless I had to call within the next 30 minutes to double the offer!!!

Bassetlover 5 years, 5 months ago

Twice, and both items turned out to be true winners!

My husband is a night owl and caught an infomercial a few years ago for these special pillows that offer incredible support when you are watching TV in bed (no, not the old kind with the arms on it!). Absolutely hands-down best pillows we have ever used in our lives.

Also ordered a dripless mop that is a dream to use!

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Marion, if you can't see how embarrassing you look for making a big deal out of them calculating a method that doesn't make you the number one spot on the illustrious ljworld forums, then there's less hope for you than most of us thought. And I assure you, most of us think there is very little hope for you already.