Previous   Next

Do you have a pet?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 13, 2009

Browse the archives

“I have an imaginary pet — Gilbert the turtle.”

“I have many. I have seven cats, and one is pregnant.”

“A scary chihuahua named Prince. He tries to bite people.”

“We have hermit crabs, a dog and a cat.”

Comments

Kathy Getto 4 years, 9 months ago

Three dogs, four cats, two snakes and two turtles. Our turtles love to chase the laser toy, but they don't make clicking noises.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

Your "$" key is sticking, Nick. You might want to have somebody that knows about computers look into that.

H_Lecter 4 years, 9 months ago

Fishing line is for sissies. Real men use trimmer cord.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 9 months ago

Hmmmmmm...

Fed up about 6 lbs of ground beef tonight and 5 lbs of raw chicken quarters.

You think I get a "Thank you!"

I get bitten by the Babies for approaching them while eating so we had to do the whole put-down-on-the-ground thing, growl, etc, in order to reassert dominance.

They had to be held down until they rolled, exposing their bellies and they urinated.

They screamed like Banshees until submission set in.

Anyone looking on would have thought that they were being tortured but the fact is, they were being dealt with in their own language and the rolling and urinating is their confrmation that they understood!

Because I must be, as Cesar Millan says, "I must be the PACK LEADER !

More than that, with these two little a$$holes I MUST be the ALPHA MALE !

Indy and Rocky are Kiki/Ho-kees!

These little boys may well weigh in at around 150 lbs each when grown, so now is indeed the time to set down the invioable rules.

My left arm took a real beating and baby teeth are incredibly sharp, so I've a variety of wounds, the worst of which is about 1 1/2" long and 1/4" deep.

I've cleaned, disinfected and shut it with butterflies.

If the darned thing starts opening up, I'll shoot a couple of fishing line stitches into it tomorrow and all will be well.

My fault entirely and they were allowed to lick the wounds; there is a disinfectant quality to their saliva and it makes them feel a lot better.

denak 4 years, 9 months ago

"... I have a litter trained house rabbit..."

Wow, 9070811, how did you manage that? You are so lucky. We got our rabit from the Humane Society when he was either 3 or 4, and too old to train. If I had known then what a mess rabits make, I don't know if I would have gotten one.

".. does your rabbit pay the taxes too?..."

Are you kidding? That would mean he would have to do something other than sunbathe and eat. No, I do all the work (and pay all the taxes) and he gets all the glory!

Dena

lmn 4 years, 9 months ago

p>dictionary.com definition of a pet:

any domesticated or tamed animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately.

Irish (Irish Swearingen) says…

puddleglum 4 years, 9 months ago

denak, does your rabbit pay the taxes too?

Marion Lynn 4 years, 9 months ago

Irish (Irish Swearingen) says…

Deion is not my pet, he is my friend and companion. I do not own him as living, sentient being can never be owned."

Marion writes:

Yeah, my guys and gals make lousy pets anyway; they are far too smart to be subservient.

They do make wonderful companions even with the associated periodic blood loss.

truthhurts 4 years, 9 months ago

MD - yeah that first cat is pretty close. Our cats only seem to do this with the laser. I was wondering if it's because its the only thing they can't catch.

9070811 4 years, 9 months ago

I have a litter trained house rabbit! Just have to remember not leave paper on the floor or wires exposed.

denak 4 years, 9 months ago

I have a black and white dutch rabbit named Chris who is 9 or 10 years old. He ownes the house!

farfle 4 years, 9 months ago

Do you have a cat as a pet or does the cat have you?

truthhurts 4 years, 9 months ago

logicsound - does Jager make a weird "clicking" sound when he/she is hunting the laser?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

I think of them as associates.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

After reading the stat blog, I get the feeling we all have a pet. Someone will toss him a bone and then he does tricks.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

“I have an imaginary pet — Gilbert the turtle.”

— Amberly Catlett, junior, Free State High School

Don't have to feed it. don't have to catch it. No mess. cool.

mrbig 4 years, 9 months ago

I have 2 blue American Pit Bull Terriers, and one giant black 90 lb mutt that we're not really sure what he is...

Peaty 4 years, 9 months ago

2 dogs (Lab and Corgi), 1 cat (American longhair), 1 Amazon parrot and a Gecko Lizard. I need some fish and I'll have the whole food chain...

logicsound09 4 years, 9 months ago

A cat named Jager.

Originally named for the liquer (as it was a night-ending favorite when I got the cat), but it turned out to have an appropriate double-meaning, as "jager" is German for "hunt".

And my cat is a master of hunting laser pointers...

sustainabilitysister 4 years, 9 months ago

Noah, please ask your parents or guardians to spay and neuter your critters. There is a spay/neuter voucher you can get from the Lawrence Humane Society that all veterinarians in the area will accept if funds are an issue. If they have funds in this account they will normally pay for half of it. Stop those litters and neuter your critters (please). Pet overpopulation is out of control and it is preventable. We as humans have been doing a poor job in our stewardship towards our companion animals. Please help turn the statistics around. Together we can make this happen.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

Gootsie, Does his leg go crazy when you rub that spot?

Dayle Hodges 4 years, 9 months ago

Absolutly!! As I told my brother the other day, in this life here on earth, my best friend will ALWAYS be a dog!!

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

Zoey, Beary Boy, Tiberius, Captain Jack, Loud, Najanie and of course Autie. Is this one a new rip in time space continuum? didn't we cover this a couple of months ago?

jonas_opines 4 years, 9 months ago

Akate, Feanor, Osiris, Elinde, and Spare., IE

Te, Fey, Oz, Floofins, and Spare

RoeDapple 4 years, 9 months ago

I have a cat who is very crabby that lives in the basement. His name is Marion............