Previous   Next

Do you participate in a sport regularly?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 10, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I run and I ride my bike a lot.”

“I run and I cycle.”

“I ride my bike and I play ultimate Frisbee.”

“I don’t currently, but I ran track for 15 years. I threw the javelin.”

Comments

shadowbox66044 5 years, 4 months ago

Maybe if the drivers in this town knew how to drive with a bicyclist on the road, I would ride regularly.

whatadrag 5 years, 4 months ago

We do have a nice path for bikes that stretches for many miles, you have no excuse.

shadowbox66044 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm not talking about bike paths, I'm talking about drivers who have no idea how to drive next to a person on a bike.

whatadrag 5 years, 4 months ago

Well lucky for you, there are many other sports where cars are in no position to interfere.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 4 months ago

I watched the bowflex infomercial the other day, but my favorite sport is Bonanza.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 4 months ago

Since I started eating that high fiber cereal, I do everything regularly.

zettapixel 5 years, 4 months ago

I get my pump on... in the gym and in the bedroom.

gsxr600 5 years, 4 months ago

I pick up the remote and push. Does that count?

bankboy119 5 years, 4 months ago

Organized sports? Softball, kickball, dodgeball

Unorganized? Runnning, swimming, biking

Regularly? I know I'll do them at least once a year

BorderRat 5 years, 4 months ago

Senior ice hockey. I'll quit when I have to strap blades on my walker.

classclown 5 years, 4 months ago

Does playing quarters count? How about beer pong and "Hi Bob"?

classclown 5 years, 4 months ago

Apparently logicsound09 is unfamiliar with the preface “I don’t currently..." when used in a response such as Mr. Murphys'.

beatrice 5 years, 4 months ago

Is athletic activity for exercise -- running, swimming, yoga, etc.. -- really a "sport" if it doesn't involve competition against others? I run regularly, but I do so for exercise and because I enjoy it, so I've never once thought of it as a "sport".

I drive, so does that mean I'm an amateur racer, even if I'm not competing? Nope. Of course this is silly, since we all know that racing isn't a sport anyway. It takes skill, sure, but so do a lot of things. It takes skill to bake a great pie, but nobody is making the argument that baking is a sport. For a baker, if you don't have an oven that maintains a constant heat you can't bake well, and if you are driving and don't have the best machine you won't win in a race. It is all mechanics. (I guess that will stir up the gear-heads.)

classclown 5 years, 4 months ago

Let's see... NASCAR = Non Athletic Sport Created Around Rednecks.

Apparently automobile racing is a sport.

Though you do make a good point Beatrice.

classclown 5 years, 4 months ago

bankboy119 5 years, 4 months ago

Hooray classclown! I love it.

Bea, good points.

Satirical 5 years, 4 months ago

logicsound09....

You play kickball? Are there adult leagues for this sort of thing, or am I just mistaken about your age?

Satirical 5 years, 4 months ago

LS09....

That sounds interesting. I just wish it weren't on Sundays.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

Does whoever asks these questions ever think of the answers they are going to get? Do they read them? Can laughing be a sport? If you're bent over double?

beatrice 5 years, 4 months ago

Do we too often call competitions "sport"? Food Network Challenge, perfect example logicsound09. It is competitive, and there is that high risk challenge of getting the cake in the shape of a Taj Mahal Death Star from the prep table to the presentation table, for example, but I don't call that a sport. Iron Chef isn't a sport either. Is a spelling bee or Scrabble championships a sport? How about chess? Plenty of things are challenges, but I feel they can't all be a sport.

I've already tossed out there why I don't think racing is a sport. Which "sport" do others think shouldn't qualify as a sport? Now be good sports and lets hear your opinions.

RoeDapple 5 years, 4 months ago

Origin of nascar ( with southern drawal):

First guy,"Nas' car!"

Second guy,"Yep, It's a Nas' one all right."