Previous   Next

Do you participate in a sport regularly?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 10, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I run and I ride my bike a lot.”

“I run and I cycle.”

“I ride my bike and I play ultimate Frisbee.”

“I don’t currently, but I ran track for 15 years. I threw the javelin.”

Comments

logicsound09 4 years, 9 months ago

"Is a spelling bee or Scrabble championships a sport?"

Well, ESPN shows the Scripps Spelling Bee...

...but then again ESPN shows the World Series of Poker, and I would hardly consider poker a sport! :-)

RoeDapple 4 years, 9 months ago

Origin of nascar ( with southern drawal):

First guy,"Nas' car!"

Second guy,"Yep, It's a Nas' one all right."

couranna1 4 years, 9 months ago

so nobody up there plays a REAL sport

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

edjayhawk (Anonymous) says…

NASCAR is a sport. You have to use your arms to lift the beer can up to your mouth.

Add in the gestures as you shout, "they're turning left, they're turning left"....sounds like a workout to me.

edjayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

beatrice 4 years, 9 months ago

Do we too often call competitions "sport"? Food Network Challenge, perfect example logicsound09. It is competitive, and there is that high risk challenge of getting the cake in the shape of a Taj Mahal Death Star from the prep table to the presentation table, for example, but I don't call that a sport. Iron Chef isn't a sport either. Is a spelling bee or Scrabble championships a sport? How about chess? Plenty of things are challenges, but I feel they can't all be a sport.

I've already tossed out there why I don't think racing is a sport. Which "sport" do others think shouldn't qualify as a sport? Now be good sports and lets hear your opinions.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Does whoever asks these questions ever think of the answers they are going to get? Do they read them? Can laughing be a sport? If you're bent over double?

toe 4 years, 9 months ago

I participate irregularly. But I do each a lot of fiber.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

I plan on engaging in one of my favorite "sports" here in a couple of hours. Grilling steak/scotch drinking. Kind of a personal diathalon so to speak. Oh, it is sport cause if the meat isn't right, Mrs. Autie will want to kick my ass.

Satirical 4 years, 9 months ago

LS09....

That sounds interesting. I just wish it weren't on Sundays.

Satirical 4 years, 9 months ago

Do pie eating contests count?

logicsound09 4 years, 9 months ago

Satirical,

I play in the Kaw Valley Kickball League, which I suppose one could consider "adult". You may have seen it going on if you've ever driven by one of many baseball fields or parks around Lawrence on Sunday evenings at 5:30 or 7:00.

If you're curious, check out the website:

And just so there's no guessing--I'm close to 30 years old.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 9 months ago

I've always thought that riding the mares and putting them through their paces was great sport.

Satirical 4 years, 9 months ago

logicsound09....

You play kickball? Are there adult leagues for this sort of thing, or am I just mistaken about your age?

icedoverhillon14th 4 years, 9 months ago

i know how to drive with a bike next to me, slowly get closer and closer to the curb pinching off his route, and have my passenger open the door when the biker tries to fly through a stop sign, then run over the bike.

beer pong is a competition, they hold the championships in vegas, winning team takes 50 grand cash, no joke.

i get my exercise running from the muggers and hobos downtown.

logicsound09 4 years, 9 months ago

"It takes skill to bake a great pie, but nobody is making the argument that baking is a sport."

I think the producers of Food Network Challenge might disagree... :-)

logicsound09 4 years, 9 months ago

I agree with bea's point--a sport must involve competition of some sort.

Although it just occurred to me that one could compete against themself when running--trying to better their time on give distance, that sort of thing. So I guess it depends on the context of an individual activity like running.

Thoughts anyone?

logicsound09 4 years, 9 months ago

"Apparently logicsound09 is unfamiliar with the preface “I don’t currently…” when used in a response such as Mr. Murphys'."

Hardly. My point--that he didn't answer the asked question--still remains. The correct answer would have been "no".

If I didn't understand the preface, then I wouldn't have been able to determine that he wasn't accurately answering the question.

bankboy119 4 years, 9 months ago

Hooray classclown! I love it.

Bea, good points.

classclown 4 years, 9 months ago

classclown 4 years, 9 months ago

Let's see... NASCAR = Non Athletic Sport Created Around Rednecks.

Apparently automobile racing is a sport.

Though you do make a good point Beatrice.

beatrice 4 years, 9 months ago

Is athletic activity for exercise -- running, swimming, yoga, etc.. -- really a "sport" if it doesn't involve competition against others? I run regularly, but I do so for exercise and because I enjoy it, so I've never once thought of it as a "sport".

I drive, so does that mean I'm an amateur racer, even if I'm not competing? Nope. Of course this is silly, since we all know that racing isn't a sport anyway. It takes skill, sure, but so do a lot of things. It takes skill to bake a great pie, but nobody is making the argument that baking is a sport. For a baker, if you don't have an oven that maintains a constant heat you can't bake well, and if you are driving and don't have the best machine you won't win in a race. It is all mechanics. (I guess that will stir up the gear-heads.)

RoeDapple 4 years, 9 months ago

CowTipping!

(but I may take up multi's idea!)

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 9 months ago

Hey..all you record setting folks..how about Largest Simultaneous Skinny Dip ? http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,531375,00.html?test=latestnews

classclown 4 years, 9 months ago

Apparently logicsound09 is unfamiliar with the preface “I don’t currently..." when used in a response such as Mr. Murphys'.

classclown 4 years, 9 months ago

Does playing quarters count? How about beer pong and "Hi Bob"?

logicsound09 4 years, 9 months ago

Apparently Mr. Murphy is unfamiliar with the term "regularly"...

BorderRat 4 years, 9 months ago

Senior ice hockey. I'll quit when I have to strap blades on my walker.

bankboy119 4 years, 9 months ago

Organized sports? Softball, kickball, dodgeball

Unorganized? Runnning, swimming, biking

Regularly? I know I'll do them at least once a year

logicsound09 4 years, 9 months ago

Kickball and softball in the summer, soccer in the spring and fall.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 9 months ago

Playing fetch with the cat, but we play more if he brings the toy all the way up onto my lap in the recliner.He wants to play, why shouldn't he to the work? Sounds like my new PT schedule may have plenty of "sport' in store for me. New stuff starting tonight. Sure hope I can walk in the morning.

Does exchanging humorous volleys with you peeps count?

BABBOY 4 years, 9 months ago

I think whatadrag pretty much wins this silly debate with shadowrider who appears to be just a little cry baby.

Me, I play golf, lift weights, spend too much money at GNC, walk on treadmill and various cardio machines at the gym. Oh, shawdowrider, they got bikes in the gym and there is no cars anywhere near you!!!

LOL

consumer1 4 years, 9 months ago

I like helping those on bicycles learn how to increase their skills, turning quickly, dodging, flying over theri handle bars, stopping at stop signs, Oh,thats a game not a sport.

edjayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

I play basketball 3 or 4 times a week at the age of 51.

blue73harley 4 years, 9 months ago

Weight lifting - 12 ounces at a time. Many reps.

gsxr600 4 years, 9 months ago

I pick up the remote and push. Does that count?

prospector 4 years, 9 months ago

I have regularly participated in a coin toss at the tip cans or coaster sailing with the bartenders when they are slow. They always seem to be busy these days, so what can I do?

Go fishin'

Darn right it is a sport, so is huntin'.

zettapixel 4 years, 9 months ago

I get my pump on... in the gym and in the bedroom.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

Since I started eating that high fiber cereal, I do everything regularly.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 9 months ago

I watched the bowflex infomercial the other day, but my favorite sport is Bonanza.

whatadrag 4 years, 9 months ago

Well lucky for you, there are many other sports where cars are in no position to interfere.

SwineFlu 4 years, 9 months ago

Katherine Dick can give me a vocal performance anytime for a workout......

shadowbox66044 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm not talking about bike paths, I'm talking about drivers who have no idea how to drive next to a person on a bike.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

There are those that think I spend to much energy on fishing.

Does drinking tequila in a hot tub while listening to old Lynard Skynard CD's count as a sport?

whatadrag 4 years, 9 months ago

We do have a nice path for bikes that stretches for many miles, you have no excuse.

shadowbox66044 4 years, 9 months ago

Maybe if the drivers in this town knew how to drive with a bicyclist on the road, I would ride regularly.