Previous   Next

Have you ever made ice cream?

Asked at Checkers Food Store, 23rd and Louisiana streets on July 8, 2009

Browse the archives

“No, but I like homemade ice cream.”

“Yes I have, when I was a kid with my family.”

“Yes. My grandparents used to do that all the time.”

“Yeah, I try, but here the ice cream is better.”

Comments

Chris Ogle 5 years, 2 months ago

Nope, but after the jalepeno peppers, wish I did have Ice cream.

appleaday 5 years, 2 months ago

Homemade peach ice cream is the best!

Kirk Larson 5 years, 2 months ago

Just last Sunday. Still some in the freezer. Mmmmm, chocolate.

canyon_wren 5 years, 2 months ago

I make it every 4th of July and sometimes at other times during the summer (especially when fresh peaches are on). When I was first married, in 1961, we received a White Mountain triple-action ice cream freezer--they were $14.99 at that time. I bought another a couple of years ago--same kind--for $149.99. Quite an increase! But nothing works as well as those White Mountain freezers. In this arid climate (and maybe elsewhere) the wooden tub dries out and we have to remember to soak it a few days ahead, or it won't hold the water from the melting ice.

I have a great recipe that is easy--no cooking. It has eggs in it, so some folks might think that was "dangerous," but it has never been a problem for us. I put in a full quart of whipping cream with the milk, for a gallon of ice cream. I will share the recipe with anyone who wants it.

Peach and banana are both good (you have to be sure to blend the peaches first, or you wind up with hard, frozen bits) but there's nothing like regular vanilla.

labmonkey 5 years, 2 months ago

Multi-

Please consider trying to find an American made freezer and not the Chinese crap at Wal-Mart. You may pay more, but will feel much better about your purchase in the long run.

I think the last time I had some was when we made some at church when I was little. Pretty good stuff.

trinity 5 years, 2 months ago

canyon, your recipe sounds very much like the one i've always used! eggs, whipping cream, etc; and nope we never had any problem or reaction from the eggs, lol. very very rich and yummy stuff, and you can throw just about anything in while it is freezing; my fave was always chopped up milky way bars...mmmmmmm.

i've not owned a freezer for several years now, darnit...need to get another one, but i'll probably have to have a bake sale to raise money for one! :-O

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 2 months ago

The only ice cream we had was homemade, with strawberries from the garden. L. L. Bean has a cool ice cream maker that is a hollow ball and you fill it with the ingredients and then toss the ball back and forth until they turn into ice cream.

Kathy Getto 5 years, 2 months ago

Whitemountain is the best - a bit expensive, but worth it as you will not have to buy another in your lifetime. I have always used the Brookville Hotel ice cream recipe that my Mom used - it is very delicious, athough I would like to try the Georgia variety Multi mentioned.

Old-Fashioned Ice Cream(Brookville Hotel)

4 eggs 2 cups sugar 1/2 teaspoon salt 3 cups heavy cream 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 2 quarts whole milk

Beat eggs until very light. Gradually add sugar and salt. Beat mixture well. Then add cream and vanilla. Add milk last. Allow about 2 1/2 inches for swelling in freezer can. Freeze in dasher-type old-fashioned ice cream freezer.

gphawk89 5 years, 2 months ago

Strange coincidence. I made ice cream for the first time in years for a July 4th party over the weekend. No eggs in mine (allergies).

canyon_wren 5 years, 2 months ago

Valkyrie, your recipe is similar to mine, but mine calls for Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, so calls for less sugar as a result. Yes, I agree that the White Mountain Freezer has no competitors. I would NEVER have spent that much money on something so relatively frivolous if I hadn't known how successful they were.

I never had a chance to eat at the Brookville Hotel but my "kinfolks" in Lawrence ate there often and said the fried chicken was wonderful! I guess that restaurant has moved--to Hays or Salina or somewhere like that?

Kathy Getto 5 years, 2 months ago

wren - Brookville is now off I 70, I think at about K-15. We used to make a side trip to the original as a kid travelling to Hays, Grinnell and Oakley to visit family. The chicken is good - atmosphere in the new place is neat, but not like the original, of course. I would try the recipe with Eagle brand!

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

It's okay, informed. It's possible that you fed some hungry Chinese family for a few days.

imahickerbilly 5 years, 2 months ago

We still make ice cream in the summer a lot. And yes, it is with an old crank White Mountain freezer. However, after using the neighbors electric freezer recently, my husband decided to add a motor to our White Mountain. But on E-bay the motor went for $90. We passed. I have lots of recipes some with eggs and some without. If you add a box of instant pudding to the mix, you can skip the eggs and still have creamy ice cream. I DO NOT want my ice cream melting into thin milk. I want CREAMY.

canyon_wren 5 years, 2 months ago

swine flu, my mother brought us four children up to think it was a treat to scrub the kitchen floor and we didn't feel abused. Our cousins thought we were crazy, though! We also took thought it was a treat to take turns giving Daddy and Mother backrubs on Sunday afternoons! Mother was well versed in the current child psychology in those days.

Valkyrie, here's my recipe if you want to try it:

5 eggs 1 1/2 c. sugar 1 14-oz. can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed milk (there is a 'Lite' EB for sale, but why use that when you will use whipping cream??!) 1 tablespoon vanilla 1 quart heavy whipping cream however much of 1/2 gallon of milk (I do use 1%) needed to fill to the right spot in the freezer can

I don't use salt, but probably it is a good idea. I mix it the way you do, adding the Eagle Brand right after you have combined eggs and sugar. I find that the whole mixture (prior to cream and milk) fits in a quart jar so can be fixed ahead.

Kufan57 5 years, 2 months ago

Brookville Hotel is now in Abilene,Ks...The food is not as yummy as it was when it was located in Brookville,Ks but still worth the trip..

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 2 months ago

Some of the best memories of my childhood include churning grandma's vanilla black walnut ice cream. I miss grandma and grandpa more than the ice cream but I loved that ice cream.

MissinLawrence 5 years, 2 months ago

For the 4th, my mom made Strawberry Cheesecake, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Vanilla ice cream. It is amazing. When she was making the last canister of vanilla ice cream, her motor crapped out, so we had to take turns using the hand crank. It was harder, but went faster and we think the ice cream was better because we worked out! haha. White Mountain Electric Ice Cream Freezers are no going for 199.99, expensive, but very very much worth it.

coolmarv 5 years, 2 months ago

We make it quite often. Made some cherry for the 4th of July.

This is my base recipe. 2 cups sugar 1/2 t salt 2 cups scalded milk 1 1/2 cups egg substitute 2 T vanilla 1 quart 1/2 and 1/2 Fill will milk to fill line on freezer can.

Put it in an ice cream freezer and enjoy.

You don't have to worry about raw eggs because the egg substitute is pasteurized. You don't have to scald the milk but it does add a little flavor.

The Brookville Hotel recipe sounds good but sound like it would clog your arteries before you finish the bowl. Cream and whole milk? mmmm