Previous   Next

Have you ever made ice cream?

Asked at Checkers Food Store, 23rd and Louisiana streets on July 8, 2009

Browse the archives

“No, but I like homemade ice cream.”

“Yes I have, when I was a kid with my family.”

“Yes. My grandparents used to do that all the time.”

“Yeah, I try, but here the ice cream is better.”

Comments

coolmarv 4 years, 9 months ago

We make it quite often. Made some cherry for the 4th of July.

This is my base recipe. 2 cups sugar 1/2 t salt 2 cups scalded milk 1 1/2 cups egg substitute 2 T vanilla 1 quart 1/2 and 1/2 Fill will milk to fill line on freezer can.

Put it in an ice cream freezer and enjoy.

You don't have to worry about raw eggs because the egg substitute is pasteurized. You don't have to scald the milk but it does add a little flavor.

The Brookville Hotel recipe sounds good but sound like it would clog your arteries before you finish the bowl. Cream and whole milk? mmmm

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 9 months ago

Yes, as a kid, we had a strawberry patch and made homemade ice cream, also black walnut ice cream---all from products we picked off our land. This is what developed me and shaped me into the wonderful individual I have become. wink

You guys are terrific LJW on-line neighbors!!

Machiavelli_mania 4 years, 9 months ago

xbusguy has jaloproctitis.

I routinely make ice cream. Made a point of getting a ice cream maker last year.

MissinLawrence 4 years, 9 months ago

For the 4th, my mom made Strawberry Cheesecake, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Vanilla ice cream. It is amazing. When she was making the last canister of vanilla ice cream, her motor crapped out, so we had to take turns using the hand crank. It was harder, but went faster and we think the ice cream was better because we worked out! haha. White Mountain Electric Ice Cream Freezers are no going for 199.99, expensive, but very very much worth it.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 9 months ago

jumpin_catfish (Anonymous) says…

Some of the best memories of my childhood include churning grandma's vanilla black walnut ice cream. I miss grandma and grandpa more than the ice cream but I loved that ice cream."

Marion writes:

Second that motion!

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 9 months ago

BABBOY 4 years, 9 months ago

My dad used to when I was kid. It was pretty good. I wish I knew how to make it.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 9 months ago

Lab, I've had one since the lates 80's. Perhaps used 3 times, stored in a box due to hardship in the family..no time to make ice cream. I only looked for you all. I have no idea where the hubby bought it...most likely at Sam's Club where be bought the business purchases in bulk. Yet he would not set foot in Walmart.

Now we are divorced...and he shops there regularly. After all those years of hearing his Walmart diatribes, I find this quite amusing. He fell out of love with Target when their stuff starting breaking more and more, and he too needed to stretch his dollars.

Kufan57 4 years, 9 months ago

Brookville Hotel is now in Abilene,Ks...The food is not as yummy as it was when it was located in Brookville,Ks but still worth the trip..

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

R_I, is your momma's name necessity?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

I just figured out how to attach my cordless drill up to a single serve blender cup for ultra portable margarita blending.
Now I don't have buy carbon offsets for the noisy Tailgator®, or have the top of the kitchen blender come off during a quick stop while running it on the inverter. So cool.

canyon_wren 4 years, 9 months ago

swine flu, my mother brought us four children up to think it was a treat to scrub the kitchen floor and we didn't feel abused. Our cousins thought we were crazy, though! We also took thought it was a treat to take turns giving Daddy and Mother backrubs on Sunday afternoons! Mother was well versed in the current child psychology in those days.

Valkyrie, here's my recipe if you want to try it:

5 eggs 1 1/2 c. sugar 1 14-oz. can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed milk (there is a 'Lite' EB for sale, but why use that when you will use whipping cream??!) 1 tablespoon vanilla 1 quart heavy whipping cream however much of 1/2 gallon of milk (I do use 1%) needed to fill to the right spot in the freezer can

I don't use salt, but probably it is a good idea. I mix it the way you do, adding the Eagle Brand right after you have combined eggs and sugar. I find that the whole mixture (prior to cream and milk) fits in a quart jar so can be fixed ahead.

imahickerbilly 4 years, 9 months ago

We still make ice cream in the summer a lot. And yes, it is with an old crank White Mountain freezer. However, after using the neighbors electric freezer recently, my husband decided to add a motor to our White Mountain. But on E-bay the motor went for $90. We passed. I have lots of recipes some with eggs and some without. If you add a box of instant pudding to the mix, you can skip the eggs and still have creamy ice cream. I DO NOT want my ice cream melting into thin milk. I want CREAMY.

jonas_opines 4 years, 9 months ago

It's okay, informed. It's possible that you fed some hungry Chinese family for a few days.

SwineFlu 4 years, 9 months ago

"Pop made us turn the crank while making us believe it was fun."

Just like the little ghetto kids in Chicago, turning crank for a buck and think it's fun. Wonder why they grow up thinking it's ok to glamorize crime and abuse drugs.

Kathy Getto 4 years, 9 months ago

wren - Brookville is now off I 70, I think at about K-15. We used to make a side trip to the original as a kid travelling to Hays, Grinnell and Oakley to visit family. The chicken is good - atmosphere in the new place is neat, but not like the original, of course. I would try the recipe with Eagle brand!

blue73harley 4 years, 9 months ago

Does unwrapping a Klondike bar count?

SwineFlu 4 years, 9 months ago

Nadia obviously didn't understand the question, and the douchebag asking the question didn't rephrase the question or attempt to give her an opportunity to answer again. So making her sound like an idiot.

canyon_wren 4 years, 9 months ago

Valkyrie, your recipe is similar to mine, but mine calls for Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, so calls for less sugar as a result. Yes, I agree that the White Mountain Freezer has no competitors. I would NEVER have spent that much money on something so relatively frivolous if I hadn't known how successful they were.

I never had a chance to eat at the Brookville Hotel but my "kinfolks" in Lawrence ate there often and said the fried chicken was wonderful! I guess that restaurant has moved--to Hays or Salina or somewhere like that?

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 9 months ago

Sorry, labmonkey, I just checked the bottom of the Informed family Cuisinart -- made in China. We've been using it for years and, frankly, I feel just fine about the purchase. And the ice cream it churns out is mighty tasty.

gphawk89 4 years, 9 months ago

Strange coincidence. I made ice cream for the first time in years for a July 4th party over the weekend. No eggs in mine (allergies).

prospector 4 years, 9 months ago

This unit does a good job and is a lot less trouble, no ice and salt. The best unless freezer space is an issue.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 9 months ago

I've lived my whole life and had no idea eggs were in ice cream. I don't eat much ice cream, but when I do, it is Edy's or the hippies from Vermont's brand.

Kathy Getto 4 years, 9 months ago

Whitemountain is the best - a bit expensive, but worth it as you will not have to buy another in your lifetime. I have always used the Brookville Hotel ice cream recipe that my Mom used - it is very delicious, athough I would like to try the Georgia variety Multi mentioned.

Old-Fashioned Ice Cream(Brookville Hotel)

4 eggs 2 cups sugar 1/2 teaspoon salt 3 cups heavy cream 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 2 quarts whole milk

Beat eggs until very light. Gradually add sugar and salt. Beat mixture well. Then add cream and vanilla. Add milk last. Allow about 2 1/2 inches for swelling in freezer can. Freeze in dasher-type old-fashioned ice cream freezer.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

The only ice cream we had was homemade, with strawberries from the garden. L. L. Bean has a cool ice cream maker that is a hollow ball and you fill it with the ingredients and then toss the ball back and forth until they turn into ice cream.

trinity 4 years, 9 months ago

canyon, your recipe sounds very much like the one i've always used! eggs, whipping cream, etc; and nope we never had any problem or reaction from the eggs, lol. very very rich and yummy stuff, and you can throw just about anything in while it is freezing; my fave was always chopped up milky way bars...mmmmmmm.

i've not owned a freezer for several years now, darnit...need to get another one, but i'll probably have to have a bake sale to raise money for one! :-O

labmonkey 4 years, 9 months ago

Multi-

Please consider trying to find an American made freezer and not the Chinese crap at Wal-Mart. You may pay more, but will feel much better about your purchase in the long run.

I think the last time I had some was when we made some at church when I was little. Pretty good stuff.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 9 months ago

Holy ice cream. I just priced freezers at Walmart.com. When did that happen? $90?

Alton Brown showed a bunch of cool ones. Autie, you should explore you options well.

prospector 4 years, 9 months ago

Yes. It is the best to carry around in your trousers on these hot summer days. Storing the Codpiece in the freezer also helps.

The Free State makes their own ice cream and an Oatmeal Stout float is most refreshing.

canyon_wren 4 years, 9 months ago

I make it every 4th of July and sometimes at other times during the summer (especially when fresh peaches are on). When I was first married, in 1961, we received a White Mountain triple-action ice cream freezer--they were $14.99 at that time. I bought another a couple of years ago--same kind--for $149.99. Quite an increase! But nothing works as well as those White Mountain freezers. In this arid climate (and maybe elsewhere) the wooden tub dries out and we have to remember to soak it a few days ahead, or it won't hold the water from the melting ice.

I have a great recipe that is easy--no cooking. It has eggs in it, so some folks might think that was "dangerous," but it has never been a problem for us. I put in a full quart of whipping cream with the milk, for a gallon of ice cream. I will share the recipe with anyone who wants it.

Peach and banana are both good (you have to be sure to blend the peaches first, or you wind up with hard, frozen bits) but there's nothing like regular vanilla.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

so, some of you experts care to share how it is put together?

Kirk Larson 4 years, 9 months ago

Just last Sunday. Still some in the freezer. Mmmmm, chocolate.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 9 months ago

I scream You scream We all scream for ice cream.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 9 months ago

Both as a kid in GA. Being the littlest I had to sit on top the newspaper on top the ice as they turned. Age 4.

Then later of course, both crank and electric. I don't make ice cream, I make Georgia ice cream. Requires far more sugar and eggs than regular recipes and you cook it first. Many people have converted at my house.

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 9 months ago

Yup. Ice cream, sorbet, sherbet, and granitas. All good and all yummy!

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

When we were kids. It was fun. Of course Pop made us turn the crank while making us believe it was fun. I've been a thinking I need to get one of those little electric ones.

appleaday 4 years, 9 months ago

Homemade peach ice cream is the best!

Chris Ogle 4 years, 9 months ago

Nope, but after the jalepeno peppers, wish I did have Ice cream.