Previous   Next

What does ‘patriot’ mean?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 4, 2009

Browse the archives

“To be a patriot is to understand where we came from as a nation and to know what the principles and values of our forefathers were.”

“To love their country and its people in all of the good they stand for.”

“A patriot is committed to the goals and institutions of the government and is willing to sacrifice for them as required.”

“It means loving your country and with America especially the principles it was founded on — the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.”

“You stand up for other people’s rights. Stand up for what is right, what is morally right and not being afraid to speak out.”

“Somebody who is in the military because they are fighting for their country.”

“I feel it just means protecting my country, not only my country but the people who live here. I love living here, and I love the fact we have freedom.”

“To be proud of your country and be proud of who you are.”

“To be proud to be a part of something you believe in.”

Comments

bearded_gnome 5 years, 1 month ago

good answers all.

Salute to you Private Thibault. thank you for your self-sacrifice. God go with you.

American Patriot: knows the good in our country; recognizes the freedoms our country has wrought for its citizens and for billions around the world. Does not blindly worship the U.S., recognizes our flaws, many of which we have defeated ourselves such as slavery. Knows that our country has a responsibility because of the freedoms and blessings we enjoy.

God bless America.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 1 month ago

Wow---- Great answers, and not a word about fireworks.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 1 month ago

Main Entry: pa·tri·ot Listen to the pronunciation of patriot Pronunciation: ˈpā-trē-ət, -ˌät, chiefly British ˈpa-trē-ət Function: noun Etymology: Middle French patriote compatriot, from Late Latin patriota, from Greek patriōtēs, from patria lineage, from patr-, patēr father Date: 1605

: one who loves his or her country and supports its authority and interests

Can I be a cheater and still be a patriot?

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 1 month ago

To define one's values as patriotic to the exclusion of the values of other Americans certainly isn't patriotic if you ask me. Good to see than none of the answers have stepped into this territory.

dajudge 5 years, 1 month ago

It's someonone who mows their lawn as often as the neighbors do. Oh, no, he's mowing again, gotta go.

soldier1 5 years, 1 month ago

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.

United States Oath of Allegiance

beatrice 5 years, 1 month ago

A "Patriot" is someone who plays professional football for New England.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 1 month ago

yo Swineflu, the native american groups here in north america when europeans came, often had dispossessed or whiped out previous native dwellers. no such thing as pre-european eutopia.

GardenMomma 5 years, 1 month ago

I find it interesting that the elected official (the Mayor of Lawrence) in this selection is the only one whose answer did not reflect how "patriot" is a noun rather than a history lesson.

Every other answer expressed how one acts as a "patriot". Mayor Chestnut only said that patriot is knowing about where this country came from and what the founding fathers believed in, not how he acts on that knowledge.

Interesting.