Previous   Next

Do you ever go bike riding?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 3, 2009

Browse the archives

“No, getting too old for that. I need four wheels.”

“I would if my bike tires weren’t flat. I should get on that.”

“I prefer to only ride my bike back home on country roads where I’m free to roam in the middle of the street because my coordination on a bike is not so hot.”

“Not in Lawrence.”

Comments

urthatguy66044 5 years ago

I agree with Caroline, I would never ride a bike on the street in Lawrence... People in this town do not pay attention, but don't let me limit that to those in cars, most people on bikes don't pay attention either!

jonas_opines 5 years ago

I like to go drinking and biking like that guy from yesterday's question. It's okay though, I wear football pads when I do it, and only go on the trails at night.

trinity 5 years ago

happy berfday to the autiedaughtie!

yes i go bike riding frequently-oh wait, does my 96 cubic inch engine&6 speed tranny count??

flux 5 years ago

Rick kinda looks like Bill Self

jaywalker 5 years ago

Only when I dance. It's not a pretty sight.

average 5 years ago

Yes. Lots. Every inch of marked "bike route" in this town, every semi-paved county/township road in Douglas County, and among other mid-length trips, from the Arch in St. Louis to Lawrence (primarily via the Katy trail). Thousands of miles.

That said, I've never needed to ride on the road on 6th (west of Mass anyway), 23rd, or Iowa (south of 6th anyway). I always hope that the people I see riding those streets are out-of-town visitors that don't know the plethora of better alternatives to those roads.

shadowbox66044 5 years ago

Adam Johnson, what is up with that hair?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

Is there an ongoing feud between bicycle riders like Harley owners and -others?

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

1) Kansas Junior Duck Stamp Entries Now on Display at Nature Center 2) Repaving to begin on Naismith Drive 3) City infrastructure improvement projects ================================= 1) Kansas Junior Duck Stamp Entries Now on Display at Nature Center PREPARED BY: Laurel Kupka, 785-832-3458 (Lawrence, Ks) - The top 36 Junior Duck Stamp entries from Kansas youth are on display at Prairie Park Nature Center, 2730 Harper St., through July 27, 2009. Recognized by many sportspersons and conservationists, the Federal Duck Stamp is a stamp required to be purchased by waterfowl hunters. Revenues generated from the sale are used to purchase lands for the National Wildlife Refuge System. The Junior Duck Stamp program was created to help American youth increase their awareness and appreciation for wetlands and waterfowl. The Great Plains Nature Center, the Coleman Company and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service sponsor the Junior Duck Stamp program in Kansas. This year, Christina Stockton, a 15-year-old home-school student from Wichita, was awarded Best of Show in the annual Junior Duck Stamp program on Wednesday, March 25. She narrowly beat her twin sister, Rebekah, in the final round of judging. This was her fourth year participating in the program and her first Best of Show finish. Her colored pencil drawing of two mallard ducks, entitled Relaxing in the Shade, is featured at the top of the display along with her ribbon. Christinas entry was chosen from a record-setting 1,107 entries submitted by Kansas students from 22 public schools, seven private schools, eight home schools or home projects, two art studios and one recreation center. The competition had four age categories: K-3rd grade (670 entries), 4th-6th grade (241 entries), 7th-9th grade (122 entries) and 10th-12th grade (74 entries). Her entry went on to compete alongside the other 49 states Best in Show entries in the national competition on April 22 at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. The first-place national winner received several prizes, including having their entry made into a Junior Duck Stamp to be sold nationwide. The judges chose three first place, three second place, three third place, and 16 honorable mention entries in each of the four age groups for a total of 100 entries. For more information regarding the Kansas Junior Duck Stamp display, contact Marty Birrell, nature interpretive supervisor, at (785) 832-7980.

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

All right!

what has happened to Waka1?

this is serious. has he been abducted, probed by aliens, and returned a changeling?

did the CIA slip something into his Kool-aid?

or, is Waka1 in love? is there an Argentine bombshell in Waka's life?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Richard Heckler 5 years ago

Quite a few ride bikes in Lawrence....

BigPrune 5 years ago

I do not include myself in the 1/2 of 1% that ride a bike in this town. But I do understand why the City of Lawrence has spent millions upon millions of dollars on bicycle paths. It's called idiocy.

denak 5 years ago

Yeah, I go downtown and blow through stop signs all the time. Just to hear everyone scream at me. Ahhh, good times, good times. :)

average 5 years ago

@BigPrune -

1/2 of 1% of Lawrence is 400. There are more than 400 riders on a nice day on the SLT trail alone.

budwhysir 5 years ago

next article to read "Do you participate in slowing down traffice and not obeying posted laws?" Riding a bike in lawrence appears to be alot like not knowing how to tie yer shoes, there is a good chance yer going to slip and get hurt. Now we have these nice bike lanes on roads that never see bikes. I have seen a bike lane that has NEVER had anyone in it. Lots of people crowding walkers off the sidewalk, but no one in the bike lane.

BigPrune 5 years ago

400 on the SLT trail on a good day? You've got to be kidding me average. You mean to tell me there are 40 (forty) people riding the SLT trail every hour? No way in hell.

I just love how the vast majority of the citizens are forced to subsidize a minor group of citizens' recreation enjoyment. We also have to subsidize the T bus as well.

I wonder if Merrill ever did a cost/benefit analysis on all the bicycle paths in town?

Haiku_Cuckoo 5 years ago

I don't ride a bike because I am a lazy fatso just like everyone else in this town who refuses to ride a bike.