Previous   Next

Are you going to buy fireworks?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 2, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I already have … fountains and nightworks.”

“Yes, definitely … sparklers and firecrackers and anything that makes noise.”

“Yes, probably just small, fun stuff. Nothing too big and dangerous.”

“No, I’m not. It’s dangerous, and we can celebrate other ways … drinking or going out or riding a bike.”

Comments

igby 4 years, 9 months ago

Luis, the guy from Hugo-villa has not been in Lawrence, very long. Riding a bike and drinking in Lawrence, has a death rate much higher than being a commie dictator president in South America.

If your lucky, you could get dragged out of bed in your skibies, pushed on too a plane with tooth brush in hand and carted off to another commie state like Hugo-villa, that is, before you blow yourself up with a cherry bomb.

The odds are about the same! Lol.

Jaylee 4 years, 9 months ago

im still waiting on my industrial barrel of potassium to throw in the dam.

ITS MY BIRTHDAY< YALL BET YER ARSES ILL BE LIGHTING FIREWORKS!!!!!!!!!!!

couranna1 4 years, 9 months ago

as your children die foe NOTHING in Iraq and Afghanistan

couranna1 4 years, 9 months ago

but go ahead and celebrate your hypocrisy

couranna1 4 years, 9 months ago

you americans are so sad and pathetic

madmike 4 years, 9 months ago

We need to find spacehog and poppygirl's addresses and set off really big fireworks off outside their houses all night long!:) Afterall, most of the world's problems can be cured with the right application of primary high explosives!

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Poppycock, poppygirl, this white trash woman is going to throughly enjoy the 4th, along with a few blacks, Mexicans, Asians, etc. The Brits do have a 4th, they call it Guy Fawkes night.

GardenMomma 4 years, 9 months ago

Thanks Multidisciplinary! That was too funny! I laughed till I cried. Thanks for sharing.

Pywacket 4 years, 9 months ago

MD~ I think we're related! That sounds exactly like my pyro brother and my controlling sister! Except for the wealthy part. My brother spends more than he should... But he always has a whale of a good time and makes sure everybody else does, too.

What lofty amusements, pray tell, do poppygirl and spacehog spend their money on?

Spacehog says: "Seriously, take a stack of $10 bills, soak 'em in gasoline, and fire em up. Same difference."

With that brilliant logic on a once-a-year splurge, I'm guessing your assessment of going out for a special dinner goes something like this: "Seriously, take a stack of $10 bills, soak 'em in balsamic vinaigrette or bearnaise sauce, and flush 'em down the toilet. Same difference."

Or how about your opinion on a special evening at a dance or theatre program? "Seriously, take a stack of $10 bills, tape them together to form a theatre curtain, then torch them to the music of Tchaikovsky. Same difference!"

Most of our amusements are fleeting. That's part of what makes them memorable. I have no doubt that if the two of you posted a list of fun activities you spend money on, the rest of us would find items on it that we considered wasteful and pointless.

As long as the bills are getting paid, the kids are fed, and safety practices are observed, it really makes no difference whether people amuse themselves by buying fireworks or going bowling or dining at McCormick & Schmidt's or whatever...

Chacun a son gout, in other words.

There are so many things out there for people to totally waste money on, all year round, I can't believe you're acting superior about folks spending a little money on an evening's firework display that takes place once a year. Get over yourselves.

BMI 4 years, 9 months ago

Let's ship those two directly to Iraq, may be they will appreciate the celebration of our American Independence. No Klondike bars for poppy and spacehog. Were you two passed around from foster home to foster home, or are you just failing to outgrown your inner JoCo spoiled brat inner self? Maybe it's your lack of amino acids. Try some meat. It's good for you.

poppygirl 4 years, 9 months ago

Oooohhh, Ahhh, 4th of July, the biggest white trash holiday of the year! It amazes me to see the amusement in watchin your dollars go up in smoke.

couranna1 4 years, 9 months ago

As the son of true Irishmen I could care less about what the fourth of july stands for. I do buy fireworks but only a few they are basically a waste of money but bottlerockets are cool

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 9 months ago

$130 boxes. Back in the early 70's, my oldest sis would fly into town with her young girls. She did not allow them anything other then a couple of little teensy child like firecrackers. Super safe stuff and not much of it. My brother, did not care for my sis, and he was also wealthy. While being safe, he would bring home about $250 worth which filled about 3-4 large brown grocery bags back then. She would be furious the entire day. Which was exactly what he wanted, plus her kids had the time of their life and thought he was a God, which is also what he had in mind, lol. Wasn't too bad for me either as I was not too old to enjoy the fun, and my mom was always on the alarmed side, and who doesn't enjoy watching their mom nerves on edge until the sacks are empty as a teen!

I wouldn't mind throwing a few bottle rockets or holding another Roman Candle over a lake before I kick the bucket.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 9 months ago

I almost did, but now we've had rain.

Here's a good laugh. Sweden has their own version of American Idol, Britain's Got Talent called Sweden's Got Talent. A clip sent to me "Naked Men Dancing- The Crispbread Dance". For those who don't know, crispbread is like a cracker, comes in many shapes, small or large (11" round). Before you hit "Suggest removal", this has been pre-approved through Jonathan. I'm just to add NWSF. :) Have a giggle with the Swedes today. http://vodpod.com/watch/1548742-sweden-got-talent-naked-guys-dancing

spacehog 4 years, 9 months ago

No wonder this page is so long. Consumer1 took over half of it. I'm broke, can't pay the bills. But hell yeah, I'm spending thousands on fireworks. I'm gonna get drunk and ride my bike while throwing fireworks at people. Seriously, take a stack of $10 bills, soak 'em in gasoline, and fire em up. Same difference.

BorderRat 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm just going to hang out at the fireworks stand to meet the two girls from China.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 9 months ago

Nah, we just go to the party and let someone else buy/set off the fireworks. Maybe a couple small things for the girls but nothing too exciting.

Music_Girl 4 years, 9 months ago

consumer, thanks for the reminder. Everyone needs to thank a soldier for their hard work and dedication. They do what they have to in order to keep us free and oftentimes are not even thanked for their sacrifices.

Music_Girl 4 years, 9 months ago

Personally no, but my brothers and uncles will and then I'll get to enjoy the show. I'll be busy making food for them instead.

consumer1 4 years, 9 months ago

I just rec'd this email. Thought I should share it.

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men

who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured. Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Remember: freedom is never free!

I hope you will show your support by sending this to as many people as you can, please. It's time we get the word out that patriotism is NOT a sin, and the Fourth of July has more to it than beer,

picnics, and baseball games. enjoy the 4th. Con1

dajudge 4 years, 9 months ago

Why don't all the stay-at-home moms, stay at home?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

Coach_Eric, The UK may not have a July 4th, but apparently North Korea either has a July 2nd, or is getting an early start..

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Brought quite a few. I am envious of those who can buy the $130.00 boxes.

jonas_opines 4 years, 9 months ago

"Yes, drinking is much safer than shooting off fireworks."

Not to mention drinking and riding a bike.

grammaddy 4 years, 9 months ago

Nope, we'll just sit in the driveway and watch the neighbors do their thing. It's always a good show!!

Eric Neuteboom 4 years, 9 months ago

That's funny Bob! Reminds me of my English sister-in-law, who humors me after a few too many adult beverages, when I repeatedly ask her "if there's a fourth of July in England." She never finds it as funny as I do.............

Mary Darst 4 years, 9 months ago

No, I won't buy any. I do remember those years past growing up. My parents always had a party that lasted all day. Their friends came about ten and they drank and cooked out. We blew everthing and anything up we could find. I think my fondest memory was that my dad would just give us lit cigarettes instead of punks. Those punks would never stay lit. But, let me tell you, a good ole lit cigarette worked like a dream. We never tried to smoke them though. I'm sure looking back, that my parents were probably toasted most of the day...It was always a good time. We all looked forward to it.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

Got the charcoal, got the saltpeter. Who has a couple of pounds of sulphur to spare?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

Bought some M33 ball, does that count?

blue73harley 4 years, 9 months ago

Yes, and ammo...lots of ammo.

I've got some really cool 12 gauge shells called "Dragon's Breath". Nothin' like a flame throwing shot gun with an 18" barrel. Good for riot control.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, I wouldn't suppose a guy from Venezuela gives a crap about the 4th of July.

hail2oldku 4 years, 9 months ago

“No, I’m not. It’s dangerous, and we can celebrate other ways … drinking.”

— Luis Santamaria, businessman, Venezuela

Yes, drinking is much safer than shooting off fireworks.