Previous   Next

Are you going to buy fireworks?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 2, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I already have … fountains and nightworks.”

“Yes, definitely … sparklers and firecrackers and anything that makes noise.”

“Yes, probably just small, fun stuff. Nothing too big and dangerous.”

“No, I’m not. It’s dangerous, and we can celebrate other ways … drinking or going out or riding a bike.”

Comments

hail2oldku 5 years, 5 months ago

“No, I’m not. It’s dangerous, and we can celebrate other ways … drinking.”

— Luis Santamaria, businessman, Venezuela

Yes, drinking is much safer than shooting off fireworks.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

Got the charcoal, got the saltpeter. Who has a couple of pounds of sulphur to spare?

Mary Darst 5 years, 5 months ago

No, I won't buy any. I do remember those years past growing up. My parents always had a party that lasted all day. Their friends came about ten and they drank and cooked out. We blew everthing and anything up we could find. I think my fondest memory was that my dad would just give us lit cigarettes instead of punks. Those punks would never stay lit. But, let me tell you, a good ole lit cigarette worked like a dream. We never tried to smoke them though. I'm sure looking back, that my parents were probably toasted most of the day...It was always a good time. We all looked forward to it.

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 5 months ago

That's funny Bob! Reminds me of my English sister-in-law, who humors me after a few too many adult beverages, when I repeatedly ask her "if there's a fourth of July in England." She never finds it as funny as I do.............

grammaddy 5 years, 5 months ago

Nope, we'll just sit in the driveway and watch the neighbors do their thing. It's always a good show!!

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

"Yes, drinking is much safer than shooting off fireworks."

Not to mention drinking and riding a bike.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

Brought quite a few. I am envious of those who can buy the $130.00 boxes.

dajudge 5 years, 5 months ago

Why don't all the stay-at-home moms, stay at home?

Music_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

Personally no, but my brothers and uncles will and then I'll get to enjoy the show. I'll be busy making food for them instead.

Music_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

consumer, thanks for the reminder. Everyone needs to thank a soldier for their hard work and dedication. They do what they have to in order to keep us free and oftentimes are not even thanked for their sacrifices.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 5 months ago

Nah, we just go to the party and let someone else buy/set off the fireworks. Maybe a couple small things for the girls but nothing too exciting.

BorderRat 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm just going to hang out at the fireworks stand to meet the two girls from China.

poppygirl 5 years, 5 months ago

Oooohhh, Ahhh, 4th of July, the biggest white trash holiday of the year! It amazes me to see the amusement in watchin your dollars go up in smoke.

BMI 5 years, 5 months ago

Let's ship those two directly to Iraq, may be they will appreciate the celebration of our American Independence. No Klondike bars for poppy and spacehog. Were you two passed around from foster home to foster home, or are you just failing to outgrown your inner JoCo spoiled brat inner self? Maybe it's your lack of amino acids. Try some meat. It's good for you.

GardenMomma 5 years, 5 months ago

Thanks Multidisciplinary! That was too funny! I laughed till I cried. Thanks for sharing.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

Poppycock, poppygirl, this white trash woman is going to throughly enjoy the 4th, along with a few blacks, Mexicans, Asians, etc. The Brits do have a 4th, they call it Guy Fawkes night.

Jaylee 5 years, 5 months ago

im still waiting on my industrial barrel of potassium to throw in the dam.

ITS MY BIRTHDAY< YALL BET YER ARSES ILL BE LIGHTING FIREWORKS!!!!!!!!!!!

igby 5 years, 5 months ago

Luis, the guy from Hugo-villa has not been in Lawrence, very long. Riding a bike and drinking in Lawrence, has a death rate much higher than being a commie dictator president in South America.

If your lucky, you could get dragged out of bed in your skibies, pushed on too a plane with tooth brush in hand and carted off to another commie state like Hugo-villa, that is, before you blow yourself up with a cherry bomb.

The odds are about the same! Lol.