Previous   Next

Do you believe in miracles?

Asked at Checkers Food Store, 23rd and Louisiana streets. on July 1, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes I do. I think it just gives people faith.”

“Yes I do, because sometimes there are unexplained things that happen that you can’t explain it any other way.”

“Yes — the 1980 Olympic hockey team and the KU Jayhawks.”

“Yes I do because Jesus said, ‘I do these things so that you will believe,’ and we are asked to ‘pray without ceasing’ and those prayers will be answered in the Lord’s time.”

Comments

BrianR 5 years, 5 months ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says… "Since you came along, you sexy thing ."

Simply amazing.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't even believe in perCEPtion! YOU do the math.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 5 months ago

Not really. I believe there are things we can't (yet) explain. And things that seem miraculous, but are really misperceived patterns. The only real miracles happen in the heart and mind, not out in the real world.

trinity 5 years, 5 months ago

i absolutely believe in miracles. i've been a part of and have witnessed too many to not believe.

Music_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

Prospector, thanks for the link to that story...it was very interesting.

I do believe in miracles. There are many unexplained happenings in this world. It does give people hope which is sometimes a miracle in itself.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

Proof that miracles exist.... I am still in this thing.

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

No, little Emily, it's just simple chance that you aren't dead, not someone looking out for you from above.

/Miracles: Not Yours.

gsxr600 5 years, 5 months ago

No way. There is a reason for everything. Some people are just to blind, dumb, or careless to see it. Life is merely a sequence of intertwined, random events.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

Anyone reading this paper would think Lawrence to be very antagonistic to the Christian, and indeed all, faiths. As I am the only Catholic Christian who either reads the paper or knows how to type, I will answer this question in a sensible manner. Yes. I have had way too many things happen to me in my life not to believe. So, it is my very personal interior conversation with the Other that has led me to my faith. I know what happened to me when I was baptized and no one can take that away from me. Notice the man in the Red Sox cap. We Sox fans are used to being in it for the long haul. You may have to wait a bit for that miracle you are praying for. I hope the Lord's time is this year for us. Of course Jonathan is praying for a different outcome. What does this mean?

Romans832 5 years, 5 months ago

Two things I believe: (1) There is a God. (2) I am not God. This past April, I saw a miracle. God worked through doctors to spare the life of someone with meningitis. Yes, I said "through doctors." Sometimes God does use others to steer the miracles, but it is ultimately a God-thing. One of her doctors confessed that he was just a tool for God's healing. "We cared for you but God did all the work."

BMI 5 years, 5 months ago

I posted this last night but want to be sure you saw so there were no misunderstandings.

BMI (Anonymous) says…

Gootsie (Anonymous) says…

Big fireworks in my hometown with granddaughter and son and DIL. Since I was small, for 4th of July the firement have always shot one off about every five minutes, we all ooh and aah and honk, then wait for the big finale at the end. Love it!! There will be turtle races, money hill (sand full of coins), duck races, neighborhood parade. And lots of time with family! — RoeDapple (Anonymous) says…

Daughter In Law? — Please note. My earlier comment asking “Isn't Gootsie the one who has an STD?” (which someone suggested removal and it was) was in reference to her own previous comments using the very same STD. That is how she refers to her step daughter. I was tying the DIL with the STD, not making a rude comment. Gootsie has a history of abbreviating her family. I would not insult Gootsie, I was just replaying her own comment. Here is the link to the LJW search for the many comments also using her same STD comment. I suggest who ever suggested removal needs to learn their LJW comment history. http://www2.ljworld.com/search/?query=gootsie+std

BigPrune 5 years, 5 months ago

Will the dog flu cause the domestication of apes as pets? Sounds like a movie............hmmmm.

Yes, I believe in miracles. I have witnessed a miracle.

BMI 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm am uncertain about the miracles. I have had very highly regarded doctors with years of experience discuss ill patients with me. They have told me they have seen hundreds of patients prayed over and nothing happens. They also will tell me, they have seen patients that have absolutely no chance of recovering from what ever some problem is, no treatment is possible. And something causes it to heal all on it's own. They have no way to explain it. So they too are puzzled and it leaves them a bit shaken sometimes. I'm not advocating miracles here, just passing along what I was told. I'm on the science side of things.However I do feel the brain and body are capable of doing far more than science have figured out yet.

Romans832 5 years, 5 months ago

To respond to BMI, "They have seen hundreds of patients prayed over and nothing happens." That is one of life's great unknowns. When we say God did a miracle, by healing someone with meningitis, for example, what about those who do get prayed for and end up dying? What if she had died? By faith I confess, it is God's nature to be good (we say "Good god!" instead of "Bad god!", right?) so even if we can't see good in the outcome, God did not change, nor can He or will He (James 1:17). So if she had died, God would still be good and God would still be God. "I believe; help my unbelief."

pace 5 years, 5 months ago

I do, though I am not into gods and demons, but by a miracle they may exist. My favorite miracles are usually the small warm ones.

Catbacker 5 years, 5 months ago

Like Einstein said..."Either everything is a miracle, or nothing is."

denak 5 years, 5 months ago

I think there are such things as miracles. There are some things that can not be explained by science and a lot of things that people label as miracles that can be.

However, I don't think miracles have to these incredible awe inspiring, enigmatic events in order for them to qualify as miracles. I do think that God uses individuals in very small ways in order to do His works. And that those chance encounters we chalk up to as mere coincidence are His way of working miracles through us.

Dena

Dateable_Shelter_Dude 5 years, 5 months ago

Romans to BMI. If God had intended that scripture to talk about miracles, he should have put the hay down where the goats could get to it. Man that gave me a headache and I've still got no idea what he was saying and now I don't want to know. Anything that convoluted has to be bad news.

5 nights in a row, would that be your miracle or hers?

Ceallach 5 years, 5 months ago

Indeed, I blindly, dumbly and carelessly do! I don't have enough faith to believe that "Life is merely a sequence of intertwined, random events."

Ceallach 5 years, 5 months ago

Right on Romans! I saw the April miracle standing in the narthex talking to a group of people last week. What a wonderful sight.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 5 months ago

Yes, I do. I literally believe that God parted the Red Sea. Now, there is one miracle I'd love to see in my lifetime-a man who can tell the truth!!!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago

I had composed my comment, and then Catbacker attributed it to Einstein.

( ... and, as I await my commemorative Al Franken stein, I ask of Albert, "Is but a single stein enough?" )

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

Catholics do not take the Bible literally and there have been many great Catholic scientists. Our Holy Father has said there need not be a feud between science and faith. I do however take the beliefs about Jesus and Mary and the saints literally and I really don't care if that is a contradiction. I am content with my faith. You be content with yours. That is how I see it.

beatrice 5 years, 5 months ago

While the Arizona Cardinals playing in the Super Bowl may appear to contradict my answer, no, I do not believe in miracles. I also don't believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman.

If there is a god, do you think she would actually bother herself with the trivial matters of our mundain, everyday existence?

Stuart Evans 5 years, 5 months ago

I can't believe so many people still "believe" in this mythology. The greatest story ever told I guess....

Christine Anderson 5 years, 5 months ago

Oh SwineFlu, you've named yourself aptly. To think it's funny to cheat and get away with it-you are a swine!