Previous   Next

What was your favorite movie this past year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 27, 2009

Browse the archives

“‘Burn After Reading’ because Brad Pitt was awesome. He was different.”

“‘Milk.’ I liked it because it had a unique story line to it and a message … (about) equal rights.”

“‘Milk.’ I thought Sean Penn was fantastic. He totally engulfed himself in the role. There was never a moment where I (thought) ‘That’s Sean Penn acting.’”

“‘Quarantine’ because it was really scary.”

Comments

ohjayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

I haven't been able to see any of the Academy Award contenders, but "The Dark Knight" was great.

Kevin Sontag 5 years, 10 months ago

It was way back in January, but There Will Be Blood was my favorite. I could watch Daniel Day-Lewis play Daniel Plainview all day long. Masterful.

2piecespicy 5 years, 10 months ago

the same one thats been my favorite the past 20 years...Better Off Dead

trinity 5 years, 10 months ago

i loved "there will be blood" could watch that'un again! and also liked "burn after reading", was different! grand torino was pretty ok...oh yeah and tropic thunder, lol. those are my faves-i cannot pick just one.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 10 months ago

"In Bruges" is one of the few movies I saw at the theater and on video. "The Wrestler" was also great. "Rocknrolla" was very good (out on video today), and other good ones are "The Wackness", "Wanted" and "The Bank Job".

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

A few weeks ago, the marquee on a movie theater in Ann Arbor said this: "Sean Penn in Milk." My first thought was wait, why would I want to see that?My favorite movie of 2008? Wall-E.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 10 months ago

"3:10 to Yuma"R_I, since when have you been against gun toting?

preebo 5 years, 10 months ago

Slumdog Millionaire, by far, was the best movie in the past year. My wife and I watched it in New York around Christmas, last year. Great film! A true must see artistic expression on film.

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 10 months ago

The last 3 moves I saw were SlumDog Millionaire, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and gran torino.They were all very good. My favorite was gran torino. Probably because I am an old guy. I understood the movie in ways the the young folks might not.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 10 months ago

I always forget which movie was released this past year or the end of the year before. What about Hancock? I liked that one. The two movies I actually went and saw were 4 Christmases and Madagascar 2 so I guess those were okay too. Not exactly moving and inspirational though.

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

Does it have to be one made in 2008? Don't know if my two favourites are from '08. but I really liked Love In The Time Of Cholera and Goya's Ghost. Both starred Javier Bardem. You remember him, the guy with the bad hair cut. I will go to see The Wrestler. I have always liked Mickey Rourke and I am so happy to see him at last really appreciated for the great actor that he is.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 10 months ago

Ok, I don't get the list. But knowing R_I, they probably belong to an organization that is against something he loves...like...well...I have no idea. What do you love, R_I?

jayhawkerincali 5 years, 10 months ago

I liked "Burn After Reading"...Brad Pitt was hilarious in that movie. And I liked "The Darjeeling Limited" a lot too...although I haven't found many people who would agree with me there. I thought it was very funny.

Brandon Devlin 5 years, 10 months ago

"In Bruges." Dark humour with a terribly tragic storyline. All three main characters, Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes, are phenomenal, and some of Farrell and Fiennes' lines are absolutely hysterical.

mom_of_three 5 years, 10 months ago

I haven't went to the theatre in the past year... Pretty sad, huh.

schula 5 years, 10 months ago

Last movie I saw was Kung Fu Panda and before that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, neither at the theatre.

Brandon Devlin 5 years, 10 months ago

Multi: No, written and directed by Irish playwright Martin McDonagh.

Chrissy Neibarger 5 years, 10 months ago

I'd have to go with either Dark Knight or Saw V

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

I was just thinking ---- that crossbow I received for Christmas ---=- Sean Penn would be great for target practice. I think I could easily get a bolt just where it would count.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 10 months ago

It's a tossup between:"Young People Watch-your-mouth!-The-words-'f--k'-are-not-allowed-here-ing" and"Paranoid Park."( Guess I should have watched my fingertips... and that tip of my mind....)