Previous   Next

Did you date much as a teenager?

Asked at Asked at Five Guys Burgers and Fries, 2040 W. 31st St. on January 26, 2009

Browse the archives

“I haven’t dated anybody yet. I’m only 14.”

“I tried like hell but never had much success.”

“No. I had one boyfriend from freshman year all the way to the end of junior year.”

“No, not really. I had one girlfriend … sophomore through my senior year.”

Comments

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

Generally I've found my significant other through friends. I've never tried the first date blind date etc scene, and from the opinions of those who have, I don't regret it, either. Oh, and I was the quiet wierd guy in high-school, probably because I hated it there, so no.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 6 months ago

not really just kinda went out with groups of friends never wanted to just hang with one peron that much. of course my graduating class was only 33 so you kinda knew everyone to well.

mom_of_three 6 years, 6 months ago

no, not really. Depends on who you compare it to. Remember watching reruns of "The Brady Bunch" and Marcia had like a couple of dates a week, each time with a new guy. Didn't know if that was real or not, but not in my life. I moved a few times in my freshmen - junior year and that made it kind of hard. But I had a boyfriend my entire senior year.

grammaddy 6 years, 6 months ago

I remember "going steady" in 6th grade, although the only place we went to was lunch and recess. It sure seemed more important then than it does now.

trinity 6 years, 6 months ago

much to my mama's chagrin, yes. if you can call what went on between myself and much older guys "dating". don't be readin' this, hawklet! ;) hey it was the early/mid 70's ok???

Tony Kisner 6 years, 6 months ago

Abbi - you stick to your plan, no need to date until around 27.

zettapixel 6 years, 6 months ago

I was in the only rock band in my particular zip code, so yes... I "dated" a lot. ;)

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

I dated a lot....surprised I didn't get some kind of reputation. I guess that's because I never dated a guy from my own town and just dated guys from other towns. Maybe my reputation wasn't so good in neighboring towns. :-) For me it was a game, I wanted to date as many guys as possible. I only wish now I would have dated for quality and not quantity. I would have loved to have had a high school sweetheart that I dated for 3 years instead of 3 months. Then again, maybe that's why I'm happily married....I sowed my wild oats early on.

trinity 6 years, 6 months ago

you md obviously are a better "picker" than i; now that i'm looking hard at the big 5-0, i can see how right mama was! her favorite word for 'em was "bums". :) but hey, i always chose ones with really cool cars! :) and musicians...have always had a musician kinda thing...and no i don't know zetta-i don't think!

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

Yep, Right-thinker, it was the truth. Perhaps because a lot of high-school kids, in general, are terrified of deviation and free thought, often self-delusional, and constantly looking for a scapegoat. . . . . should I say it? . . . . . . yeah why not?Much like wingnuts.

hawklet21 6 years, 6 months ago

much to my mama's chagrin, yes. But she wasn't too worried after that fall musical!!

trinity 6 years, 6 months ago

LOL hawklet! now that made me laugh real out loud&nearly choke on my carrot! :)

trinity 6 years, 6 months ago

omg, now i don't know what was funnier; the "look at this Richard, just look at it", the "yellow shafts of sponge" line, or the "crime scene cookies"! that was a great letter, loved it!

Calliope877 6 years, 6 months ago

I dated a little bit during my junior and senior year of HS, but that's about it. I don't understand people who are still dating someone from junior high or highschool...it seems to me those relationships would get stagnant after a while, but I guess it works for some people. All the more power to them.

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, Right-thinker, but I've rarely had the energy or the inclination to hate. It takes way too much energy.

flux 6 years, 6 months ago

Stop drinking at lunch Multidisciplinary.

hawklet21 6 years, 6 months ago

I wonder the same thing, Calliope. I think back to the guys I was absolutely over the moon for my senior year, and now? Married and married. Thank goodness those prospects didn't pan out for me!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

"Did you date much as a teenager?"Oh, yes... MUCH older women... carbon dating.( nod to none2 )

BaxterC 6 years, 6 months ago

Way to go Lawrence, we're all a bunch of loners!

Omegatron 6 years, 6 months ago

I hung out with girls, did stuff that most consider dating. Movies, restaurants, arcade, hanging by the lake, parties, etc..But the girl I wanted to date... naw, never got the time of day...