Previous   Next

Should Kansas become the ‘Saudi Arabia of wind energy’?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 22, 2009

Browse the archives

“I think it should. … It just seems so natural.”

“Ask not if Kansas should build windmills, but how soon.”

“Absolutely. I think there are many construction jobs that would be available, and it’s a great, clean energy source for Kansas.”

“Yes, absolutely. … This is one of the windiest places on Earth.”

Comments

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 3 months ago

Py:What the hell else occurs naturally here that we can harness and exploit?ROFLYou should have stopped right there and taken this to create a blog. These clowns would have a great time with that question!

ms_canada 5 years, 3 months ago

rantor - am I mistaken in my belief that there is freedom of speach in the good ole USof A? I know that I have no legal right in the US but must I hold my tongue? Can that be right?

Bowhunter99 5 years, 3 months ago

We need cars like the Chevy Volt that runs 100% on electricity for the first 40 miles and can be plugged into a regular outlet. Think about it... most people drive way less than 40 miles a day so they'll be using 0 gallons of gasoline. If you're commuting to KC/Topeka, then you'd be using gas for 10-20 miles as opposed to 50-60.Where would this electricity come from? Windmills... Two for one special... Power your house AND power your car.We can continue to design cars that will run 100% on electricity or have 300-400 miles of range on electricity... Why wait when 40 miles would take care of 90% of your daily drivers?

Marion Lynn 5 years, 3 months ago

Why are these wind turbines not being built in the USA?http://cleantech.com/news/1030/wind-turbine-blades-to-be-made-in-chinWind turbine blades to be made in ChinaApril 13, 2007 Rhode Island company is building a factory in China to make wind turbine blades for General Electric.TPI Composites (TPI), a maker of large-scale composite structures, has signed a long term supply agreement with GE Energy to manufacture wind turbine blades in a new production facility to be established in Taicang, China. The plant will occupy 190,000 square feet with the ability to expand. Production will begin early in 2008 and TPI expects to employ approximately 450 people at the facility at full production rates. The agreement also provides GE with a license to TPI's patented vacuum infusion process technology. “TPI is very pleased to have reached an agreement with GE Energy to manufacture wind blades in China for their use,” says Steven C. Lockard, president and chief executive officer of TPI. “We are eager to provide our partners such as GE with growth capacity and a source of competitive advantage that can come from focused blade factories.” “We have selected the Taicang Port Development Zone to locate our factory. We greatly appreciate the cooperation we have received from the local government and port authorities” said Wayne G. Monie, TPI’s chief operating officer. “We are creating a high tech composites operation to serve the Chinese market as well as the export market in a high-quality, cost-efficient manner.” GE Energy is a world leader in wind energy, with over 9,100 worldwide wind turbine installations comprising more than 8,600 MW of capacity.TPI Composites, with headquartered in Warren, Rhode Island, is a leading manufacturer of large-scale composite structures for the wind energy, transportation, and military vehicle markets.

Pywacket 5 years, 3 months ago

Ms C's opinion matters, wherever she lives. Yes (to the question). What the hell else occurs naturally here that we can harness and exploit? (I know--it would be nice to harness and exploit the racists, homophobes, and fundamentalists but that's illegal, so wind it is.)

rantor 5 years, 3 months ago

ms_c,When you live here your opinion matters, since you don't...

Marion Lynn 5 years, 3 months ago

Mmmmmmm.Yeah.100% in.30% out on the best of days.Go for it!

H_Lecter 5 years, 3 months ago

It should be a breeze...Missouri sucks.

ms_canada 5 years, 3 months ago

snap - hope you and the lemurs have a grand time. Drink some coca tea for the altitude. It is high. and did I read poster max1 right. Limbaugh hopes that Mr Obama fails. Whoop de do, now that sure will be good the USA, won't it. :o) or should that be :o(

Edward Coan 5 years, 3 months ago

The spat between Russia and the Ukraine is settled and natural gas is moving to Europe. Natural gas is environmentally incorrect...Affects the Greenhouse effect negatively.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

FWIW, I'm flying out tomorrow to attend Lemur-rama at Lake Titicaca. The lemurs and I will be staying at the Titicaca Motel 6. Internet access will be limited. Should be home at the end of next week.--------------------------------------------------------------------Hey, Snap, I was at the Lemur-rama last year., I was the women with green hair and Lemur suit. To make the suit I put on a pair of pajamas that have feet and rolled around it the cat hair. My tail was bubble wrap in a long roll and it made such a lovely popping sound. I haven't decided on this year yet.Oh, by the way the Titicaca Motel 6 has wireless Internet now. Seems everyone demanded it when Obama was elected. They love him down there.There is no battle of exotic pets. I just got a little over excited.,Also, Snap, you need to go over the rule book, as of January 15th, 2009, no participate can bring more than 10 lemurs. The event is attracting so many people, it has to be reined in a bit.Also, you know how lemurs mark their territory and all the lemurs at Titicaca must be range free. So, it is a tossup between, gee, don't the flowers look good this year, and what is that stink.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 3 months ago

Snap -Good luck and keep them damn lemurs out of jail. There is nothing worese than a Bolivian prison. Well, maybe a Turkish prison, but you get the point.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

MD, trying to keep my traveling squad of 20 frisky lemurs out of the Titicaca jail is going to be a full time job I suspect.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 3 months ago

Can turbines be used to mechanically separate chicken, and thus create a duel-industry?http://totallylookslike.com/2009/01/22/mechanically-seperated-chicken-totally-looks-like-strawberry-soft-serve/(What has been seen cannot be unseen)

sunflower_sue 5 years, 3 months ago

I think KS should become the London of roundabouts.Snap, enjoy your trip, my man! Hope the lemurs behave themselves.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 3 months ago

I see the full page most discussed is also not updating headlines, just comment counts.This one is working, it doesn't list the OTS, or blogs, or videos, but it does update which article has been commented on.http://www2.ljworld.com/discussions/stories/

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 3 months ago

Snap,Limited? How are you going to handle that?What's your withdrawal tool..more beer?(Jeezers that's a long time. How are we going to handle that!??!) No snap for breakfast? Guess we'll be eating B&G then.Lemur-rama..is that the one with "The Battle of the Exotic Pets"?http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/2002-12-10/index.html

prospector 5 years, 3 months ago

If the bird brains' can avoid them, okay. Snap, happy trails and keep cool.

spacehog 5 years, 3 months ago

I love the hoveround commercial, Sgt! That guy is the coolest Tom Kruse ever!

sgtwolverine 5 years, 3 months ago

Yes, every state needs countless acres of giant wind turbines.Although if I remember correctly, in one of the Mission: Impossible movies, they used a wind turbine to knock a pursuing helicopter out of the air. So I guess they could be considered some sort of air defense, too ... but only if your name is Tom Cruise. (Or Tom Kruse, inventor of the Hoveround.)

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 3 months ago

:" I think we need to look at wind power for everything. Robert Kennedy,Jr. was just talking about it on Morning Joe."Unless they are near the family compound.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

Mary Darst 5 years, 3 months ago

I wanted a wind mill for my own house. It was cost prohibitive, would have taken a long time to pay for it back. I think we need to look at wind power for everything. Robert Kennedy,Jr. was just talking about it on Morning Joe.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

We do have quite a few wind projects going on in Kansas.check out:http://www.kansasenergy.org/wind_projects.htmThe question is downright silly.Saudi Arabia is by no means the only oil producer in the world. Why pick on them?The spat between Russia and the Ukraine is settled and natural gas is moving to Europe. It is all very well to put your little nose up in the air and make pronouncements to the effect that we need to go all natural and use the wind, the sun, the sea, etc.etc. the earth is our mother so we must blah, blah, blah.That sentiment is just becoming boring whether it be right or wrong. It just makes one want to tune out.

grammaddy 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm all for anything that gets us off foreign oil and creates new,green jobs for the future.!!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 3 months ago

Did someone steal another Time Lords TARDIS?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 3 months ago

After watching Lost last night, I'm convinced the time warp is real. You know, because watching a fictionalized sci-fi drama on ABC is close to real life.

autie 5 years, 3 months ago

8:24 am. Most discussed still not updated. usual time warp?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

TOB, it does appear that the most commented story que hasn't been updated lately.Autie, maybe some peat could be transplanted to the Baker wetlands.

autie 5 years, 3 months ago

I do think that Kansas should become the Scotland of Scotch. Are there any peat bogs in Kansas?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 3 months ago

Nice softball pitch of a question today. Good one, Jonas.Is the LJW broken today?

autie 5 years, 3 months ago

what'd you mean if, harley?

blue73harley 5 years, 3 months ago

Only if Missouri becomes the Afghanistan of cave dwellers and bad smellers.

nobody1793 5 years, 3 months ago

There's a lot of "wind" coming out of Topeka (on both sides of the isle). We need to capture that somehow.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

Oklahoma should become the Kuwait of red clay.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 3 months ago

I think Kansas should become the Amsterdam of coffee shops.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

We're gonna need a lot more sand.

spacehog 5 years, 3 months ago

My haystacks weren’t tied down.-Bob Dylan

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

By this question, do you mean we should create a theocracy, solidified around powerful connections to the wind industry, and quietly produce bands of deadly terrorists, which then goes largely ignored due to our share of the global wind market?No, I really don't think we should. Some wind power generators aren't a bad idea, however.

Donnuts 5 years, 3 months ago

Say, where is Donquipunch?I want to hear something really intelligent.Yeah, windpower.Can we manage it. California already does.

tonythetiger 5 years, 3 months ago

I think Kansas should become the Norway of geothermal.