Previous   Next

Should Kansas become the ‘Saudi Arabia of wind energy’?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 22, 2009

Browse the archives

“I think it should. … It just seems so natural.”

“Ask not if Kansas should build windmills, but how soon.”

“Absolutely. I think there are many construction jobs that would be available, and it’s a great, clean energy source for Kansas.”

“Yes, absolutely. … This is one of the windiest places on Earth.”

Comments

tonythetiger 5 years, 11 months ago

I think Kansas should become the Norway of geothermal.

jonas_opines 5 years, 11 months ago

By this question, do you mean we should create a theocracy, solidified around powerful connections to the wind industry, and quietly produce bands of deadly terrorists, which then goes largely ignored due to our share of the global wind market?No, I really don't think we should. Some wind power generators aren't a bad idea, however.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

Oklahoma should become the Kuwait of red clay.

nobody1793 5 years, 11 months ago

There's a lot of "wind" coming out of Topeka (on both sides of the isle). We need to capture that somehow.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

TOB, it does appear that the most commented story que hasn't been updated lately.Autie, maybe some peat could be transplanted to the Baker wetlands.

grammaddy 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm all for anything that gets us off foreign oil and creates new,green jobs for the future.!!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

We do have quite a few wind projects going on in Kansas.check out:http://www.kansasenergy.org/wind_projects.htmThe question is downright silly.Saudi Arabia is by no means the only oil producer in the world. Why pick on them?The spat between Russia and the Ukraine is settled and natural gas is moving to Europe. It is all very well to put your little nose up in the air and make pronouncements to the effect that we need to go all natural and use the wind, the sun, the sea, etc.etc. the earth is our mother so we must blah, blah, blah.That sentiment is just becoming boring whether it be right or wrong. It just makes one want to tune out.

Mary Darst 5 years, 11 months ago

I wanted a wind mill for my own house. It was cost prohibitive, would have taken a long time to pay for it back. I think we need to look at wind power for everything. Robert Kennedy,Jr. was just talking about it on Morning Joe.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

sgtwolverine 5 years, 11 months ago

Yes, every state needs countless acres of giant wind turbines.Although if I remember correctly, in one of the Mission: Impossible movies, they used a wind turbine to knock a pursuing helicopter out of the air. So I guess they could be considered some sort of air defense, too ... but only if your name is Tom Cruise. (Or Tom Kruse, inventor of the Hoveround.)

sunflower_sue 5 years, 11 months ago

I think KS should become the London of roundabouts.Snap, enjoy your trip, my man! Hope the lemurs behave themselves.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

MD, trying to keep my traveling squad of 20 frisky lemurs out of the Titicaca jail is going to be a full time job I suspect.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

FWIW, I'm flying out tomorrow to attend Lemur-rama at Lake Titicaca. The lemurs and I will be staying at the Titicaca Motel 6. Internet access will be limited. Should be home at the end of next week.--------------------------------------------------------------------Hey, Snap, I was at the Lemur-rama last year., I was the women with green hair and Lemur suit. To make the suit I put on a pair of pajamas that have feet and rolled around it the cat hair. My tail was bubble wrap in a long roll and it made such a lovely popping sound. I haven't decided on this year yet.Oh, by the way the Titicaca Motel 6 has wireless Internet now. Seems everyone demanded it when Obama was elected. They love him down there.There is no battle of exotic pets. I just got a little over excited.,Also, Snap, you need to go over the rule book, as of January 15th, 2009, no participate can bring more than 10 lemurs. The event is attracting so many people, it has to be reined in a bit.Also, you know how lemurs mark their territory and all the lemurs at Titicaca must be range free. So, it is a tossup between, gee, don't the flowers look good this year, and what is that stink.

ms_canada 5 years, 11 months ago

snap - hope you and the lemurs have a grand time. Drink some coca tea for the altitude. It is high. and did I read poster max1 right. Limbaugh hopes that Mr Obama fails. Whoop de do, now that sure will be good the USA, won't it. :o) or should that be :o(

H_Lecter 5 years, 11 months ago

It should be a breeze...Missouri sucks.

ms_canada 5 years, 11 months ago

rantor - am I mistaken in my belief that there is freedom of speach in the good ole USof A? I know that I have no legal right in the US but must I hold my tongue? Can that be right?