Previous   Next

What is your strategy for avoiding the flu?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 504 Clinton Parkway on January 19, 2009

Browse the archives

“Eating healthy and working out regularly.”

“Not worry about it, and take Vitamin C.”

“I get a flu shot every year.”

“I got my flu shot and eat healthier — eat lots of fruit.”

Comments

Purell 5 years, 11 months ago

Wash my hands, disinfect common surfaces, and avoid human contact between Nov. - April.

jonas_opines 5 years, 11 months ago

Retroactive plan to be born with a hardy bodily constitution and a highly effective natural disease resistance, which I must say worked perfectly as a retroactive plan.(purell, all that disinfection probably makes your white blood cells fat and lazy. gotta keep them in shape)http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/antenna/cancerkillers/images/cells.jpglike some of these. you can spot the fat and lazy ones.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

When the flu knocks on my door, I pretend I'm not at home.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago

I weave a winding path through the backstreets of Lawrence,avoiding the flu-ridden paths, more traveled.

jonas_opines 5 years, 11 months ago

He does sound, sometimes, like he has the flu, though.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

Oy, vey! Again with the fat!! I do know that you people, and you know who you are, write fat whenever you can just to irritate the hell out of me. Which you do. I want the weight of everyone from now one who writes fat.Oh, I forgot where I was going with this. Okay, flu. I have never had the flu once in my life and do not intend to. The flu germs just bounce off my fat.

spammer89 5 years, 11 months ago

Move to a deserted island and start my own country.

canyon_wren 5 years, 11 months ago

Avoid flu shots. It seems like they're always protection against LAST year's virus. Virtually everyone I know who gets flu during the season has had the shots.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 11 months ago

Hope for the best. Nothing special really the last time I had it some dumb woman was next to me and my kid on a plane sick as a dog, then bam we get home and are sick as all get out worse flu ever for me, stupid airlines letting her on my plane.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 11 months ago

I don't worry about it, and I certainly don't get a shot. Unless you're notably old or young or are at risk for some other reason, it's not that big a deal.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

Containment suits are your best friend.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

Multi RAl and being round I can roll.I can't win for losing on these posts, but that doesn't mean I am giving up.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 11 months ago

For the flu, we get flu shots but for the common cold, apparently I don't have one because all 4 of us are coughing up a storm over here!

Newell_Post 5 years, 11 months ago

Too late. I already had it. It was bad. 6 weeks worth.Forget the flu shots. Avoid airplanes and airports. That's where I always catch these things. If you must fly, be like Bill Gates and buy your own airplane.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 11 months ago

R_I, Happy Feet isn't a film for Penguin Awareness Day; it's a film for Lousy Propaganda In An Animated Movie Awareness Day. Truly, that was one of the most obnoxious movies I've ever seen.

jengaman 5 years, 11 months ago

I embrace the germs...they are my friends.

coolmom 5 years, 11 months ago

get a flu shot, work with kids to build up immunities and eat girl scout cookies after workouts and wash hands often.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

sgtwolverine, you putz! Happy Feet was one of the most darling movies ever. I loved that little guy. The way the penguins were born with a heart song. The one who sang, "don't mess with me, cause I'm right on the edge, and I'm just tryin' to keep my head."You didn't love that? The way they saved Loveless. The trek across the ice.The soundtrack!Move those feet, Mumble and save us all.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

I just now thought, what has this got to do with flu?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

Okay, I thought you guys were just being your weird incomprehensible selves, or maybe making a bizarre slur against Obama as he is being sworn in tomorrow. But, no, I stop and Google the topic and what do I find out, boys and girls? Penguin Awareness Day: Always January 20World Penguin Day: Always April 25thAbout Penguin Awareness Day, and World Penguin Day:Penguin Awareness Day, and World Penguin Day are great opportunities to learn about and appreciate one of the few natives of Antarctica. On these days, spend a little time learning about them.... a pictorial book or Internet site is fun. You can also watch a documentary of these cute and popular, grounded birds.These days are also a time to wear black and white---penguin colors. However, wearing a tuxedo in their honor is optional. It is also popular today to tell a penguin joke or two. Origin of Penguin Days:World Penguin Day coincides with the annual northward migration of penguins. This happens each year on or around April 25th. Penguins do not fly. Rather, they walk, or waddle their way to and from.Did you know? Penguins are found in Antarctica, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. Elsewhere, they are only found in zoos.

Newell_Post 5 years, 11 months ago

Thanks, Multi. I think the real flu part was only about 2 weeks out of the 6 total. It was the opportunistic bacterial infection that set in that required 3 trips to the doc and antibiotics to beat. And since I am allergic to some antibiotics, there are only a few I can take....

sgtwolverine 5 years, 11 months ago

Cleo, no, I didn't love it. The movie wasn't ever really funny, the soundtrack was full of very meh popular music, and its baseball bat of a message -- evil humans are eating fish and killing penguins -- was obnoxious and, as far as I saw, not at all indicated in the advertising for the movie (which told me I'd be seeing a harmless fun movie). I dislike propaganda films, and I especially hate them when they're not advertised as such.

formerlawrenceres 5 years, 11 months ago

Avoid going home to visit when anyone in the family is sick. My germ infested relatives gave it to me on Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. Next time I go home to visit I will be armed with lysol, purell, and a gas mask.