Previous   Next

How should the school board handle the current budget situation?

Asked at The Community Mercantile, 901 S. Iowa on January 16, 2009

Browse the archives

“Have a drink and hash it out.”

“No cuts. I would pay more fees rather than see my kids suffer.”

“Well, I think they should start from the top. They don’t need any more administrators. … Put their funds toward the teaching staff.”

“I think they should think more about teachers’ salaries and less about playing fields and computers for every student.”

Related story

Comments

Fangorn 6 years, 3 months ago

What exactly is the budget situation? I've been...away and haven't really been able to follow the issue. On general principle, I'd say if parents were more active in their children's lives then children would learn more of their life skills at home, and then teachers could concentrate on academics rather than the remedial social skills they seem to have to spend so much time on now. And Mr. Johnson's remark about too many administrators seems relevant as well.It is also nice to see that the Lawrence Journal World actually found some people from Lawrence for today's question. And it was even asked away from downtown. That's showing quite a bit of initiative!

Richard Heckler 6 years, 3 months ago

It has to make USD 497 taxpayers wonder who guides the USD 497 BOE when USD 497 taxpayers wind up withPLAYhttp://www2.ljworld.com/polls/2007/may/should_city_spend_20_million_or_more_play_project/ and:http://www2.ljworld.com/polls/2007/jul/what_do_you_think_proposed_3mill_property_tax_incr/yet this gets left behind:*School Maintenancehttp://www2.ljworld.com/polls/2007/oct/how_should_school_district_pay_20_million_maintena/PLAY is a Chamber of Commerce concept to bring more tourism dollars to town. Instead of maximizing existing resources of which Lawrence has plenty. Who made the the decision that USD 497 would become a tool for the Chamber of Commerce?Who made the decision NOT to put this matter before USD 497 taxpayers? No doubt the movers and shakers felt USD 497 taxpayers would have voted this concept down. At least The T has 70% of voter approval.Why didn't one of banks pick up the tab and donate funds to USD 497 if this was such a great economic growth idea? Sooner or later the bank would get their money back.....maybe.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 3 months ago

Copy/pasting is the answer to all problems, especially if you are wearing bright cheerful clothing.

trinity 6 years, 3 months ago

i like that there aimee! :) friday friday friDAY friday friday friDAY friday friday friDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! :)

jonas_opines 6 years, 3 months ago

Time moves on, college students and vision quests are eternal.

jonas_opines 6 years, 3 months ago

. . . and, of course, sometimes vision quests lead to eternal college students, but that's another matter entirely.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm in this thing Aimee. Just tell me when and where. I just love think tanks.

jonas_opines 6 years, 3 months ago

xbusguy: In this context, I think the proper usage is likely to be "think-tanked."

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

This uproar over separate athletic facilities perplexes me; is it really that strange for schools to have their own fields? As far as I know, most southeastern Michigan towns with multiple schools have multiple sets of athletic fields. I didn't realize this was so out of the ordinary in Kansas.As to the question ... the school board should make its budget fit the money it has. You know, like normal people have to do. Surely not every expense is indispensable.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 3 months ago

Hey jonas, why don't we get an early start and "think-tanked"

jonas_opines 6 years, 3 months ago

Sorry, I gotta introduce myself to two classes today as their instructor. I prefer to not be tanked, even think-tanked, until at least the third week of the semester. I could probably cover Daoism think-tanked.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

I thought so, TOB, but I wanted to be sure.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 3 months ago

I think the school board should come out with a calendar to help raise more money for the budget.

JKBagby 6 years, 3 months ago

Secondary education for all? Is this not kinda socialist? We are a capitalist society, make the parents pay for high-school! Privatized education across the board! BOOM BABY!

Deja Coffin 6 years, 3 months ago

Multi, okay, I had to look...and all I gotta say is that is some crazy armpit hair on Madonna!