Previous   Next

What do you think is the biggest threat to transportation?

Asked at Division of Motor Vehicles office, 1035 N. Third St. on January 14, 2009

Browse the archives

“Guns. … People shouldn’t have guns and be riding around with them in their cars.”

“I’m always afraid of drunk drivers on the street, especially on the weekends.”

“(Our) lack of interest in light rail and passenger railroad systems.”

“People with deteriorating eyesight that are too old to be driving … (cause) way too many fatalities.”

Related story

Comments

Richard Heckler 8 years, 1 month ago

Failing to use public transportation to the maximum. It is good for pollution control,traffic congestion,parking congestion and our wallets. Commuter trains not coming online soon enough. “(Our) lack of interest in light rail and passenger railroad systems.”— Cody Alley, arborist, LawrenceLet's not forget biking and walking at every opportunity as well.

killjoy 8 years, 1 month ago

Roundabouts...definitely roundabouts

rodneyking 8 years, 1 month ago

The police...definitely the police(but I worry about missles from predator drones too)

Flap Doodle 8 years, 1 month ago

& people who want to "edit" the Bill of Rights to suit themselves.

jayhawklawrence 8 years, 1 month ago

Since there is so much money involved in the DOTs, I think the biggest threat is a loss of quality in our decision making by having the departments taken over by politicians. We need strong leadership to maintain a focus on the goal of moving away from fossil fuels and becoming energy independent.

jonas_opines 8 years, 1 month ago

This OTS question has become something of a Rorsharch (sp?) test, hasn't it?

Fangorn 8 years, 1 month ago

The biggest threat is the increasing number of people who seem to believe that they know what my transportation needs are better than I do. And by golly if I'm not smart enough to realize that, they'll make the decision for me and send me the (tax) bill.Roundabouts come in a close second, though.

Flap Doodle 8 years, 1 month ago

Elevators are the safest way to travel, especially if you are wearing bright, cheerful clothing.

alm77 8 years, 1 month ago

Either I didn't understand the question, or those who answered it didn't.... what?

Adrienne Sanders 8 years, 1 month ago

The fact that oil (and therefore gas) is a finite resource.

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

don't know much about the unattended crock pot other than if it's ham n'beans, somebody best be stirring it now&then!

Fangorn 8 years, 1 month ago

Maybe the crock pot is a road test for a new traffic calming device?

Kevin Sontag 8 years, 1 month ago

Old people. Especially the little old ladies who are so short, the only thing you see as you drive past them is a tuft of blue hair and ten white knuckles.

grimpeur 8 years, 1 month ago

Did they check for pods? Could be pods in that there crockpot.No, seriously, the biggest "threat" or problem in Lawrence-area transportation is the lazy bums driving fractions of a mile for every little trip, and then the ones driving from Topeka/JoCo, alone, alongside thousands of other drivers who are clogging the same corridor, alone, in their cars.

Chris Ogle 8 years, 1 month ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says… And the unfinished SLT---------------------------------------I thought the SLT was a sandwich.

Leslie Swearingen 8 years, 1 month ago

thetagger, hey! I am old and very short, 63 and 4 feet 11 to be exact. I always make eye contact with the driver before I cross to make sure they have seen me. I do worry about this.You are guilty of sexism, ageism, and slurring those who are height challenged. I am also fat so maybe you could see portions of me on either side of the windshield.Wow, you're batting a thousand today.Yo mama is so tall and skinny she fell down in the street and someone thought she was a speed bump.

Chris Ogle 8 years, 1 month ago

What do you think is the biggest threat to transportation?..........Someone stealing my car.

Kevin Sontag 8 years, 1 month ago

I guess in your old age, you have forgotten what a joke is. Or maybe, since you are a woman, you were too busy putting on your makeup to figure out it was a joke. Or since you're short, maybe your sense of humor is on the top shelf and you can't reach it. Or since you are fat, maybe you accidentally ate your sense of humor. Lighten up! Laugh once in a while! Oh, and Yo mama so fat, the only thing that's attracted to her is gravity.

Chris Ogle 8 years, 1 month ago

tagger, thanks man. I laughed so hard, bout peed my pants. (sense of humor on the top shelf and you can't reach it) I love it/.

Flap Doodle 8 years, 1 month ago

Excessive and inappropriate use of quotation marks.

jonas_opines 8 years, 1 month ago

"But then those are the kind of people that “liberals” and Democrats want…people who “feel” irrationally rather than think!"As opposed to those who do neither, but just scream and yell about liberals until some one tells them that they're behaving foolishly, and then they scream and yell about criminal libel.

coolmom 8 years, 1 month ago

hey how about some more yo mamma stuff? anyone?

Chris Ogle 8 years, 1 month ago

Come back Cleo. Please hurry, have to go to work soon.

Fangorn 8 years, 1 month ago

A hazmat bag? I guess they forgot to stir the ham and beans like Trinity said.

webmocker 8 years, 1 month ago

Wheeled transportation: PotholesPedestrian transportation: A-holes

Fangorn 8 years, 1 month ago

Webmocker: roflmao!I_R: My civilian job kept me too busy to post much...right up until the day I got laid off. (Auto industry, but I go back 2 Feb.) So I'm spending two months in uniform. And it's bloody cold here! I should have told Webmocker I can't laugh it off only because I've already frozen it off. It's nice that the internet can make me feel connected to home.

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

i just haaad to click on R_I's link...agh.i think i'd rather have the ham n'beans that got spirited away in a hazmat bag. noxious, very noxious.

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

bleh. you folks are really helpful as far as appetite killers! raccoons, nutrias (nutriai? nutri? agh!)-do not want.

spammer89 8 years, 1 month ago

The dude who cut me off on 23rd street, cause he was in such a hurry to get to pricillas and get his astro glide.

Chris Ogle 8 years, 1 month ago

spammer, is astro glide a new form of transportation?

TheOriginalCA 8 years, 1 month ago

Women farding while driving. (That is farding as in putting on makeup while driving)

Fangorn 8 years, 1 month ago

"hey engine, what's up?" [snicker] :)I_R: Not sure I should say, but it's cold. Of course that describes quite a chunk of real estate the last week or so. How does ms_canada deal with this every winter up in Edmonton?! Me, I could use a little "global warming" right now. There are a lot of new names. And I seem to miss some of the old regulars. I hope they are all well.

jonas_opines 8 years, 1 month ago

"quite properly puncutated and deliberately written in that style for effectiveness of delivery."Try again. Definitive fail on first count, subjective fail on second.

woodenfleaeater 8 years, 1 month ago

Pterodactyls.....Darn things always pick my car up and drop it in numerous random farm fields. Big guys think it's funny to watch me struggle.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

snap, I just received the golden fruitcake via fed-ex. Come on up and I'll slice you a piece. :)

Flap Doodle 8 years, 1 month ago

Sue, I'm on the way right now.BTW,stillhavingawonderfulinternetlife.

Leslie Swearingen 8 years, 1 month ago

thetaggerYo mama's so cheap, instead of buying a fire alarm, she hangs Jiffy Pop from the ceiling. Dust off my shoulder!

Deja Coffin 8 years, 1 month ago

Okay so my husband would say my driving is a threat to transportation. I assure him I have superior knee driving skills compared to others. I think the OTS question should not only be asked at Walmart but one of the people needs to have a rockin' mullet.And I will admit it today and deny it forever but I did once buy a joke book in grade school that had a whole chapter on "yo momma" jokes.

Kevin Sontag 8 years, 1 month ago

Yo mama so fat, she deep fries her toothpaste.G'night everybody! Don't forget to tip your waitress!

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 1 month ago

No, really it's Godzilla. Japanese Sci-Fi and Blue Oyster Cult can't be wrong.With a purposeful grimace and a terrible smile,He pulls the city's high tension wires down;Helpless people on subway trains;Scream, "My God!" as he looks in on down;He picks up a bus and throws it back down,As he wades through the village to the center of town;Oh, no! They say he's got to go!GodzillaExcept BOC was wrong about one thing . . . . Godzilla's a girl.

Prairielander 8 years, 1 month ago

Any driver talking on a cell phone at a 4-way stop.More roundabouts PLEASE!

manus_flexibilis 8 years, 1 month ago

Breaking wind in enclosed transitional spaces

woodenfleaeater 8 years, 1 month ago

Yo mama so fat, she got baptized at Sea World

Flap Doodle 8 years, 1 month ago

Stillhavingawonderfulinternetlife&there'snothingyoucandoaboutit.

Poon 8 years, 1 month ago

Hey! Hey! Ho! Ho! All this snow has got to go!What do we want? Heat!When do we want it? Now!

TopJayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Okay, Nathan ain't too bright. He chooses to ignore all of the statistics that say he is wrong, and chooses not to look at the threat already out there with all the criminals who don't care about the law, or society.Pull your head out Nathan, and grow up.