Previous   Next

Do you like to listen to your grandparents’ stories?

Asked at Quail Run School on January 12, 2009

Browse the archives

“They’re interesting. It’s like talking about my heritage and history.”

“No, because they’re really boring.”

“I like listening to my grandma’s stories on my mom’s side because she grew up during the Great Depression.”

“Yes, because I like to know what their life is like.”

“Yes. They tell me about New Mexico and the desert.”

“My grandparents don’t usually tell stories, but when they do, I like them.”

“Yes. They tell me about New Mexico and the desert.”

“My grandparents don’t usually tell stories, but when they do, I like them.”

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

Yes, I do. We all get together and have a seance. It's the only time I get to hold hands with someone.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 11 months ago

Yes I really enjoy hearing my grandparents stories. I do need to write them down also. I hope to one day write a family tree book for my kids that not only give birth/death, marriage, etc. dates but a real sense of who these people are. My grandparents are amazing, all of them!

Aisling 5 years, 11 months ago

at the time no but they've been gone now for 5 or 6 years and I'd give anything, really-just about anything-to be able to pop in for a chat and hear the stories. My Grandpa was a bus driver and drove out of what is now Free State Brewery so everytime I go in there (and it's a lot b/c, let's face it, I do loves me some oatmeal stout) I think of him.

Newell_Post 5 years, 11 months ago

My grandfather was a conductor for the Union Pacific railroad. He had great stories about the old days of railroading. I wish I could listen to those stories again.

George_Braziller 5 years, 11 months ago

My paternal grandparents were both great recounters of the past. I loved hearing their stories. Fortunately I don't have to rely on memory. After my grandmother died I found a spiral notebook where she had written out all the ones she had told. It's about 80 pages long with amazing detail.One of my favorites was when she was painting her parent's house in 1927. It involves a ladder, white oil-based paint, a broken ladder rung, and stinking of the kerosene she had to use to wash her hair to make it in time to take her teaching exam.

Mike Blur 5 years, 11 months ago

T_O_B cutting and pasting from a Simpsons script site. Very imaginative.My gramdma on my maternal side was a political activist involved in Native issues in the sixties and seventies. The FBI even tapped her telephone! I have an FOIA request pending with the FBI to obtain her case file. She had dozens of amazing stories.

rubberband 5 years, 11 months ago

My parents tape-recorded personal histories from my grandparents on my dad's side years ago. Years later, after they had both died, my step-mom typed them up and made a book out of them and gave a copy to all of the grandkids. Reading them is like a history lesson on the depression, cold war era, etc., but from a more personal perspective, and SO much more interesting than a history book. What a cool gift. My only regret is that we didn't do the same with my grandparents on my mother's side. My grandpa was the best story-teller--I really miss that and wish we had some of his stories in writing.