Previous   Next

Do you have a Facebook account?

Asked at Royal Crest Lanes, 933 Iowa on January 12, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I do, to meet people, to network and to have fun.”

“No. I don’t mess with the computer very much. I like to read.”

“No. I do not have time for one.”

“No. I have a MySpace account.”

Comments

sgtwolverine 5 years, 11 months ago

Poor Marvin, still wandering in the aesthetic vomit of MySpace.Dear MySpace:User-customized layouts are a bad idea. Could you standardize your pages and remove the garish backgrounds? Also, get rid of the music player that starts automatically? Thank you.Sincerely,People with the senses of sight and hearing.Oh, and yes, I do have a Facebook account. It's great for acknowledging the existence of people with whom I used to communicate years ago.

schula 5 years, 11 months ago

I do, but don't spend much time on it.

zettapixel 5 years, 11 months ago

Nah, I got rid of it after they went to the "New" Facebook style.

John Spencer 5 years, 11 months ago

I do. It's been great reconnecting with people that I otherwise would never have been able to find.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

I just recently opened a Facebook account, and I've found many people from my past - KU, high school, a camp I worked at for two summers, a previous job. It's actually been really nice.

LA_Ex 5 years, 11 months ago

As someone who has spent the bulk of his life moving around the country, Facebook is great! I get to reconnect with people I thought I would never hear from again. These "social networking" sites are the best tools for keeping contact that came out of this decade. If someone disagrees, then that person probably thought email would never catch on too.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

"What is a “knowledge management leader”?"It's a tech thing, girlfriend. You wouldn't understand.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

tvc, I try to keep my lemurs away from narcotic bugs. They always seem to find a way, tho.

whatatown 5 years, 11 months ago

autie-facebook actually started off being for college students only. To be able to sign up you had to have a college/university email address. That was when facebook was great. Now they let all the creepers in that you find on myspace. Also, I don't like the fact that it's open to younger age kids as well- I'm not so hip on having 16 year olds trying to 'be my friend'.

jonas_opines 5 years, 11 months ago

whatatown: Maybe they let in the 16 year olds so the creepers would bother them and not you.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 11 months ago

I was against having facebook for so many years because I too thought it was for college/high school kids only. I finally gave in and set-up an account within the last few months and I love it!!! Not only do I get to see pictures of people I haven't seen since high school and their family but it has helped my relationships with some friends become stronger. I hate to talk on the phone for a long time. I've got kids screaming in the background, a husband asking questions, and the football game blaring. So for me, I love being able to get on here at night and type to my best friend almost daily when I used to only talk to her maybe once every two-three weeks. For those who don't want to be bothered by ex's, there's so many security preferences that you can only let them email you or see your page once you accept them as a friend. Seriously, facebook is awesome, I drank the kool-aid, I'm hooked and I think everyone should get it. Plus I love putting up pics of my kids for friends and family to see.

Calliope877 5 years, 11 months ago

Yes, I have one.If it wasn't for FB, I wouldn't have contact with extended family members who are scattered all over the country.

MaryKatesPillStash 5 years, 11 months ago

I'd like to see a study on whether/how social networking sites like Facebook and Myspace affect high school class reunion attendance rates. I don't see any reason to ever travel back for mine--I can see who got fat, knocked up, or bald just by checking Facebook.

coolmarv 5 years, 11 months ago

Darn, I guess that means Jill and Marvin will never meet.

itsjustlindsay 5 years, 11 months ago

Sure do. And it was FB that allowed me to track down my step brother and sisters after my step mother died from cancer and my father disowned them.

jengaman 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm sure the LJW crew had a blast going into Royal Crest Lanes to ask a roofer, equipment operator, and "packer" if they have a FB account. I can just see it now...Writer #1: "Oh man, look at this cripsy cat...you've got to ask him next!" Writer #2 (snickering): "Nice throw Dwight! Hey do you have a FB account by chance?"Writer #1: "Nice work! Sweet jesus, another one...six o'clock..."Some people get to have all the fun. I agree with the comments above about the knowledge management leader. What the heck is that? Sounds boring.

staff04 5 years, 11 months ago

"Marion (Marion Lynn) says…OK, I give up!What is a “knowledge management leader”?What kind of Newspeak is that?"It's someone with a job, Marion. No wonder you don't know what it is...

Buggie7 5 years, 11 months ago

I have Facebook and love it. I get to talk with family and get to talk with my nephew and his wife who are in Iraq. I post pics of the growing kids that they wouldnt get to see otherwise unless I used snail mail. They save all the pics to their computer and print or burn them to a disc when they get home. To the user that didnt like 16 yr olds to want them to be friends-Thats the good part about fb because you can choose not to add them and even have them blocked. You can also limit your page to be viewed by only those on your friends list. This way you know its only your personal friends and family that can see and not the pervs.

flux 5 years, 11 months ago

Marion has posted a almost 14,000 times on this site......she obviously doesnt know what a job is.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 11 months ago

Somebody is definitely pulling the cat's tail. Exciting!!