Previous   Next

Do you think KU is a good educational value?

Asked at The Kansas Union on January 10, 2009

Browse the archives

“I believe so. … I haven’t had any hardships beyond my own studying habits.”

“I do. Everything I’ve learned in my classes I’ve found very valuable for what I’m going for in life.”

“Absolutely. … I attended the university before the fixed tuition, but even so I still thought it was a fantastic value.”

“I don’t really have an issue with the cost.”

Related story

Comments

canyon_wren 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm not sure ANY school (at today's tuition rates) is a "good educational value," but KU is surely as good as any.

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 11 months ago

Yes, in much the same way that McDonalds is a good dining value.

Escapee 5 years, 11 months ago

if you can stand living there while you get an education....

Escapee 5 years, 11 months ago

tange, did you think I did not understand that? Something loses its 'value' if you have to 'sacrifice' something else to get it....Quality of life in this case....

sgtwolverine 5 years, 11 months ago

Yes ... if someone else is paying for it. Otherwise, unless you're going into a high-paying sort of job that will allow you to pay off your loans quickly, then there isn't a good educational value available in higher education these days.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago

Escapee: ... "thanks, multi. I can see that now."That's OK... I don't even get my own posts... automatic typing, as it were.And, unlike Multi, I don't get the Escapee part... either.And, often, I don't get Multi's posts. Worst of all, I don't get Ronda.,:-(( ... oh, I understand what she writes.... )

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago

Au contraire, Multi... rumor has it that I had her at "anon.",;-)

1wetwilly 5 years, 11 months ago

In today's society a college degree is a must have, but at the same time it is an incredibly overrated credential and many times it is completely unnecessary.Consider the various jobs you've had, the companies you've worked at, the managers and executives you've known. Can you really conclude that a college degree was actually necessary. In most companies and in most circumstances a "degreeless" person could work, manage and succeed as well as a degreed person. In other words, a "degreeless" person can ruin General Motors, Citibank and AIG as well as any executive with a college degree.

BuffyloGal 5 years, 11 months ago

Anyone who thinks that a high school diploma these days can cut it has low expectations for themselves and their future. Anyone who thinks a degree in business from any university is going to be a winning ticket is equally delusional. A high school diploma only works in developing countries and even that is changing as more and more come here to major in finance.KU is great value for money as it is a state school in a very affordable state. It may not get you into the graduate school of your choice, but a wise selection of major can get you far! Can't get a job? Your standards are probably too high for a starter salary. I know several teens and young adults who won't work because their parents told them they were special and should find work that makes them happy. They forgot to tell them that working at McDonalds is okay in the meantime so at least they are doing something!

JKBagby 5 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, a BA is pretty much like High School diploma with extra credit.