Previous   Next

How did the current economy affect your holiday shopping?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 9, 2009

Browse the archives

“Well, as a consequence, I did none.”

“I made more gifts this year.”

“I do not holiday shop, so it had no effect.”

“I waited ’til after the holidays to do my shopping.”

Comments

Mary Darst 5 years, 11 months ago

Pywacket..I'm with you . Did audie have too much scotch last night watching Oklahoma get beat. Hoo Raw( that's what they say at our casino when some one wins big). Now for saving money at Christmas. Yes I did. We all just don't need all that stuff. We all need to de- clutter. My grandkids kids get so much from their 6-7 christmas' they don't even remember what they get or from whom.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 11 months ago

BestSylviaI have had nightmares my entire life and suffer from what is sometimes referred to as ' thin boundaries”… meaning that I remember dreams in my long-term, rather than short-term memory…thus often confusing reality with something I dreamt.In nightmares I have died in as various a number of ways as Kenny on South Park, here is a sample: Shot in thigh by President Nixon, drowned in car going over bridge, nuclear explosions, alien invasions, volcanic eruptions, floods, earthquakes, tornados, flood/tornado combos, knifed by strangers, decapitated, burned in fire, disemboweled, hung, electrocuted, squashed by Big Foot, shot by thugs, airplane crash, fall into glacial crevasse, fall into mud pit, avalanches, strangulation by Muppets/evil clowns, fall under cracked ice, attacked by ax, scythe, lawn mower, pencil, rake, etc. (* show multiple repeating variations on a theme).

ms_canada 5 years, 11 months ago

We have never been big on spending at Christmas so this year was not much different. I did spend more though. I have 4 grandsons who get a card and a cheque each Birthday and Christmas. Same with my 2 daughters. I don't buy gifts for them anymore. So I only buy gifts for my son and husband. Actually, I lie. I did buy 3 pr. of sox for my son & two boys here in Edmonton. I stuffed the cheques in the sox. I sent a money order to my hockey player grandson in Chicago in US funds. WOW ! did that cost me. Our $$ is so low now. BTW that big fellow has scored 5 goals in his last 4 games Way to go Robbie!!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

TOB, if you are going out badger-teasing, don't forget to take a long stick.

ms_canada 5 years, 11 months ago

sgtwolverine - do you ever cover any of the American Hockey League games? There is a team in Grande Rapids. Is that near to you? My Robbie played there last Wednesday. got one goal and one in the shoot out, which doesn't count for his total as Grands Rapids won the shoot out. Strange way of counting. Or do you cover hockey at all? Just curious!!

coolmom 5 years, 11 months ago

omg i have to stop drinking coffee and reading your comments, its not good for the keyboard.

rubberband 5 years, 11 months ago

The other day, I was vacuuming my kitchen rug with my old Hoover, which is now a downright, as the upright part doesn't stay upright anymore, and there was this big POP and then a flame shot out of the vacuum where the cord is attached. The vacuum kept running, so I was willing to finish the job, but my daughter was quite frightened, what with the burning smell and all, and she thought I should turn it off. I wasn't sure how I would do that because the on/off switch doesn't work anymore either, so I would have to set the flaming downright on the rug while I ran to unplug it. It was quite the conundrum.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 11 months ago

ms_c, I do cover hockey:http://burrillstrong.com/wordpress/photos/thisweek/hockey20081210-92.jpgBut only local high school hockey. I wish my city had a minor league hockey team so I could cover it, but sadly, we don't.