Previous   Next

What was your favorite science project?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 8, 2009

Browse the archives

“When I learned how to do the Gram stain in microbiology.”

“Probably the volcano that spewed out when I was a sixth- or seventh-grader. It made a mess.”

“When I made a solar oven my junior year of high school, I met my best friend, Arna. He was my partner.”

“Identifying trees based on leaves. We put them in a scrapbook.”

Related story

Comments

ohjayhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

I'd have to say the tornado in a box. However, because it was an aluminum pie plate full of water heated by a hotplate, it was more of a hurricane in a box. The other eighth graders nor my teacher knew any better though. LOL

H_Lecter 5 years, 11 months ago

Trying to find non-lethal (or at least slowly lethal) blood substitute that will circulate well as a flavorful marinade.

H_Lecter 5 years, 11 months ago

The experiments with Candy were fun and delicious too....I miss her.

grammaddy 5 years, 11 months ago

growing mold on brad in 2nd grade. No, science was never my strong suit.

spammer89 5 years, 11 months ago

I grew some killer stuff in high school back in the early early 80's. Till my parents found it, and they did not believe is was oregano....oops

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

Testing the effect of drinking brandy on a lemur's ability to drive a car on K10.

oldvet 5 years, 11 months ago

Hydrochloric acid and sulphur... resulting in Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) and an evacuation of the school... whew, what a stink... :-)

dajudge 5 years, 11 months ago

Rubbing two of my sticks together to create fire.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 11 months ago

Procrastination.... I have it down to a science.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 11 months ago

The only ones I really liked were the physics experiments...dropping bowling balls out of the 3rd story window and trying to suck kool-aid up a surgical hose from a kiddy pool from 3 stories up were two fun ones. There was one guy in our school that could almost suck the kool-aid all the way up from a 5 gallon bucket. Wow! The experiments did teach us a lot about what we were learning about.I would like to take this opportunity to salute "Rowdy Roggie," my hs physics teacher. You rocked!

Topside 5 years, 11 months ago

Frying a pickle. Take a lamp cord and cut off the end that goes to the lamp seperate the +/- and then plug it in the wall then stick the + end in one end of the pickle and the - at the other. It pops and hisses and the pickle lights up inside. Sah-weet! But kinda dangerous.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 11 months ago

Multi, I think we had the same Physics teacher!! My physics teacher spent the whole hour trying to be friends with the football players. My favorite science experiment was dissecting owl pellets and gluing the bones on a sheet of paper to make the skeleton of a mouse. I liked dissecting rabbits also but those things stunk! They made the whole school stink for days. The worse part was that I had lunch during biology and lost my appetite. It wasn't exactly a science experiment but my favorite science related thing was going with my 8th grade science class and looking for fossils and different rocks around Eudora and Lawrence. So much fun!!

leadstone 5 years, 11 months ago

One of my favs was also one of my 1sts. the 50-lb volcano out of clay and a 3-liter bottle. Won the Blue Ribbon at the fair. it was cool I guess. But I've had some strange gardening projects that turned out to be quite interessting. The pass-out game was another, and testing to see if farts were flammable. And I once ate something that turned ME into a science experiment. Science can be fun, just make sure you've got the right protective gear before you go leaping off roofs with a beach towel tied around your neck like a cape.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

The Six dimensional Wormholes where we showed that the classical solution to a consistent six-dimensional Einstein-Gauss-Bonnet pure gravitational theory has the same spacetime analytical structure as the four-dimensional Tolman-Hawking wormhole for an isotropic Robertson-Walker manifold.Yeah that was cool, definitely.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago

The synthesis of esters... organic chemistry bearing fruit.

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 11 months ago

I was way into model rocketry and aeronautics in my early teens. I did a science project my freshman year of highschool on fin designs on model rockets. I'm still pretty impressed with myself for thinking of it. I had three different fin shapes and made three separate rockets, each one with a different fin design. I launched each of them three different times, measuring the angle at apogee at 100 m from the launch site. By using the tangent of that angle and the time elapsed from launch to ejection, I was able to calculate the average speed of each rocket during each flight. The results were pretty clear, too.