Previous   Next

How do you like your barbecue ribs?

Asked at Gran-Daddy’s BBQ, 1910 Haskell Ave. on January 7, 2009

Browse the archives

“I like them all — smothered in sauce, dry, whichever way they’re fixed.”

“I like baby backs … definitely smoked with a dry rub then sauce on top of that.”

“Every which way — baby backs, slow-cooked, rib tips, it doesn’t matter to me, I love them all.”

“I like baby back ribs, smoked. They taste great.”

Related story

Comments

trinity 5 years, 11 months ago

falling off the bone, edges BURNT, sauce...i'm kind of a 'burg rib snob. those are the only ones i really like, and yeah-i have tried ribs a lot of other places. :)

geekin_topekan 5 years, 11 months ago

Pork ribs only.I never did catch on to beef ribs.

CLARKKENT 5 years, 11 months ago

I LIKE MY RIBS SMOKED ON MY SMOKER, AT MY HOUSE, OR AT jack stack!!!!!!!!!!

Mary Darst 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm with autie. I love those babybacks. Maybe audie could make me some. Right now we are eating Talapia. Got to lose some of the excess weight.

Mary Darst 5 years, 11 months ago

Thanks Bob, that made my day. That is hysterical.

countrygirl 5 years, 11 months ago

Baby backs with my hubby's secret rib rub, my BBQ sauce at the end and about 4 hours of low slow smoky heat on our smoker. I'll sure be glad when we get a warm week-end and we uncover the smoker! I make a mean pulled pork too.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

I am not necessarily a fan of baby backs, but it's all in the prep. Dry rub, maybe a touch of sauce toward the end, but not dripping. If I stay local, then I like Gran-daddys. Not a fan of any place in KC, but loved the ribs in Memphis. Pig on Beale was great!

jonas_opines 5 years, 11 months ago

mmmm. . . .. . . ribs. . . . . . . . kleuuuuhhhhhhh. . . . .

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

If the ribs haven't made under-the-table contributions to my campaign, I disdain them. I eschew them.

Sheila Hooper White 5 years, 11 months ago

Any ribs my husband smokes!!! They are awesome!! I'm open to trying any ribs but can be very judgemental as my husbands bbq is ....awesome! I will agree with momof3 I don't care for alot of sauce, just maybe some to dip it in!!We just had Gran-Daddys this weekend and my husband and I had the rib tips they were pretty good. I can usually get the hubby to cook out anytime, even when it's in the teens outside. It just takes a little longer to smoke when it's this cold.

dajudge 5 years, 11 months ago

I like to soak my stick in water, preferably my hickory or mesquite stick, then lay it on some hot charcoal so as to smokily cook the ribs until they are tender and all the fat is rendered so the ribs aren't tough. Growing up, I hated ribs, because they were never cooked enough and were tough and yucky. Now, I know better. ya gotta cook 'em long enough so the bone releases them. AB's or Gates, although I just ate a pork sandwich from Rosedales, which was quite good, I must say.

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 11 months ago

We shouldn't be killing poor defenseless cute cuddly cows just for our personal gain.

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 11 months ago

beawolf (Anonymous) says… cooked=========================By the way beawolf, I was going to say "Cooked" until I saw that you beat me to it. :-)

coolmom 5 years, 11 months ago

dang it now i have to go to the store and get ribs i am supposed to be getting it better shape and eating fish was on the menu...not fair not fair.....(thanks for the great ideas)

Ronda Miller 5 years, 11 months ago

I like them back to back....with all the sides, a variety of sauces..plenty of soft, white bread (I never eat white bread otherwise), pickles........and lots of napkins for cleaning my face and fingers after the fact...of those baby back ribs...back to back......had some last night....

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

Is Boss Hog's still open in Topeka? They used to do wonderful ribs.

oldvet 5 years, 11 months ago

Take the time to cut/peel the membrane off of the back side, use my personal dry rub that has been applied the day before cooking, smoke them lo and slow for 5-6 hours, serve sauces on the side for those who desire... oh man!!! Get them out of the freezer, honey, I feel the need for smokin"...

Linda Aikins 5 years, 11 months ago

Who drives the big cadillac with DG tags around? It's a convertible and the tag says Boss Hawg. ?Dry rub. No sauce. It's the only way...

trinity 5 years, 11 months ago

i hear leroy's is great-that he actually used to be part of g&m's? tried the place right across the street (hiway, lol) from leroy's this past saturday...meh, so-so is all i can say. but i did like the burnt edges! i do really like jackstack&rosedale, too...forgot about 'em! :)

riverdrifter 5 years, 11 months ago

I like'em straight out of G&M's smoker. Hot dill pickle and line up the ice cold Budweisers.

TheOriginalCA 5 years, 11 months ago

When I worked in Washington, DC we had a datacenter in KCMO that we made numerous trips to. It is no secret that African Americans love BBQ and most of the people I worked with were African american. The first trip we made to KC they just had to go to Jack Stack and Arthur Bryants. Jack Stack is like BBQ flavored ketchup and Bryants was too freaking hot to eat and nearly made us all sick. Next trip I drove them to Haywards the first day there and they went there everyday for the rest of the trip and now Haywards is recognized by all the guys who still work there (in DC) as THEE place to go for lunch. Their burnt ends are to die for IMHO. They also take back several bottles of BBQ sauce on the plane trip back.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

Best ribs in the area are Oklahoma Joe's. Worst in the area is a toss up between The Smokehouse and that place where Don's Steakhouse used to be, just terrible stuff.

jayhawkerincali 5 years, 11 months ago

Vermont Street BBQ...yummmmm.....And I like one of their spicy smoked Bloody Mary's with it. The ultimate.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 11 months ago

Gotta be with lots of beans and cole slaw on the side. Now I gotta go out and get some ribs, that sounds so good!!

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

Not a fan of Jack Stack ribs - maybe it was a bad day when i had them. THey were tough and dry. I have had some good vermont street ribs, and some bad Vermont street ribs. Went to the bbq place at the old Don's steakhouse, and will never go back. Had Gates bbq once, and half the party got food poisoning.Never went to Arthur Bryants - chain restaurants don't interest me. My family had a party a couple of summers ago, and friends of the family came with their LARGE smoker. We had the best brisket, ribs, and pork tenderloin.

Sheila Hooper White 5 years, 11 months ago

autie - ROFL!! That is my husband. He would bbq even if it were 30 below.coolmom - I'm with you. It so hard to go on a diet when you have good cooks around. Still need to have the bbq though. At least it's not fried. Right?ronda - i completly agree about the pickles and white bread.babboy - didn't care to much for Arthur Bryants. haven't tried any of the other places, though.i'm gonna have to go to the store and find some ribs for this weekend.

feeble 5 years, 11 months ago

Oklahoma Joe's is the way to, as far as ribs are concerned.I prefer beef to pork as well.As a Virginia transplant now living in Kansas, I can confirm that folks on the east coast don't know their tips from their ends, when it comes to BBQ. The midwest/Kansas City does it right.

jayhawkerincali 5 years, 11 months ago

Well.. I wouldn't say that the ribs at VSB are my favorite...but the brisket..de-lish. And the wings are always good too. But you catch their baby backs fresh out of the smoker and you're in for a tasty treat.And they have hands down the best Bloody Mary's in town. Especially when you get the habanero vodka with it..I love a good kick in the mouth.

ms_canada 5 years, 11 months ago

Tony Roma is my fav place for ribs other than my own. But I am hearing some things here that I have never heard before and I am goin' have to look into them. Smoked ribs? Dry rub ribs? Sounds good. I am goin' search for a recipe right now. Ribs are my favourite way to eat meat. I did some beef short ribs one day and they were yummy. I really don't like meat all that much, so sauce and plenty of it to hide the meat is the way I do it.

ms_canada 5 years, 11 months ago

TOB - I do thank you kindly sir. My mouth is watering already and guess what is on the menu for supper today? I did find a recipe for Kansas City Rub for ribs. And I do have a smoker. I will dust it off and get going on those ribs. I have only used the smoker for white fish that my good man catches, but I will give the ribs a try. Can't hardly wait.

formerlawrenceres 5 years, 11 months ago

Just stumbled upon a place called Wyandotte BBQ just east of 435 on State Ave, couple minutes from the Legends. Kind of a scary area, but amazing BBQ. You get mammoth portions for about 6 bucks a plate. Love Jack Stack myself - - can anyone say burnt ends and cheesy corn! Yummo!!

Clickker 5 years, 11 months ago

Biggs always undercooks their ribs..Always.The flavor is good, but they need another 2 hrs in the smoker

riverdrifter 5 years, 11 months ago

Zwarthoop: True, that. Rosedale Barbeque in KC is most excellent, as good as G & M's in Williamsburg. Joints that crank out hundreds of slabs a day lose consistency. I have had good ribs from Bryants and Gates -and bad ribs.

trinity 5 years, 11 months ago

i just can't think that any rib place could outdo the personalities you get when you go to 'burg for ribs! oh man. and if you go during a slow time, mid-afternoon or something, and order a sannich? they load that puppy down but good! :) i always have some spare g&m sauce in my fridge. the OLD airport in miami county used to be super great; it is "ok" now, but nothin' like what it once was when brownie had it.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

Okay, I stand corrected about Arthur bryants - must have been confused with another restaurant. have had a some good ribs and brisket and pulled pork from Rib crib when visiting relatives. Not too bad for a chain...But Pig on Beale - man, I want to go back to Memphis, and try it again, and other places.....Even my non-rib loving kid liked them!

FredGarvin_MP 5 years, 11 months ago

Trinity, you are correct, the owner & smoker of ribs at Leroy's was at Guy & Mae's for years. It's worth the drive for the ribs (no sauce needed) and if you want a sandwich, order the brisket pepper jack, oh my.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 11 months ago

On a sheet of newspaper at Guy and Mae's

coolmom 5 years, 11 months ago

yes, the doc will soon hear that excuse...i did eat meat i am a meatatarian but at least it wasnt fried right? this sounds like the argument we had about coffee lol he said one cup and i kept buying bigger cups lol.

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 11 months ago

TOB:The cherry Jello trick is more for competition BBQ, but is a good way to impress the family too. Don't use too much, just about a Tbsp. Brings out the color.Damn, I'm hungry now!

misseve 5 years, 11 months ago

with a dry rub and SOS (sauce on the side)

Deja Coffin 5 years, 11 months ago

How about all of you who are giving tips and do your own ribs have a competition to see whose ribs are better and I'll be the judge. Sounds like a good plan to me!

dajudge 5 years, 11 months ago

When the bones release the meat, like I said, they're ready.

Sheila Hooper White 5 years, 11 months ago

coolmom - LOL, this is so true. I didn't think of it that way.pink-sock - when was the last time you ate there? we just ate there this weekend and it was awesome! i'm so glad to they are on our side of town, so when my hubby doesn't want to smoke anything we can go there. I still would eat anything smoked at home then go anywhere else.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 11 months ago

TOB, don't all men think their meat is the best?

pissedinlawrence 5 years, 11 months ago

Are you kidding me??We can't afford them anymore.