Previous   Next

Would a $20-a-month incentive encourage you to ride your bike to work?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 6, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes it would because I should be riding it anyway and it would just be a plus.”

“No, I live in Perry so, it would not. It’s a 30 minute drive.”

“It would be a pretty long ride, but I guess I would try it out.”

“Probably not me because my commute’s a little longer than a bike ride; 35 minutes door to door in a car.”

Related story

Comments

Flap Doodle 6 years, 8 months ago

How many Klondike Bars can you get for $20?

grammaddy 6 years, 8 months ago

I've already asked my kids for a 3 wheeler next year for Christmas. Keeps Grandma in shape and grandma doesn't have room to drag all those pesky little grandkids along.

trinity 6 years, 8 months ago

yet another no. 35 miles one way is a bit much to pedal.

Mary Darst 6 years, 8 months ago

Sure I would. That is if I can still even ride a bike.

Ronda Miller 6 years, 8 months ago

I agree with autie and o_bob...no and no...But I also agree with waka1...for 2,000 a month I would do it....and I work out of my house.

BigPrune 6 years, 8 months ago

Wow! $20 bucks a month if you ride your bicycle to work. No wonder Lawrencians don't get paid enough at their jobs. I wonder what else some of these folks would do for $20 bucks?There is an IRS form bicyclists will have to fill out in order to receive this $20 (tax free mind you) incentive. It takes the average Joe 3 hours in cross referencing the IRS code, but Lawrencians are smart and should be able to fill it out correctly in 4.

trinity 6 years, 8 months ago

nice chopper, blue! i think mine'd have to be way more stock, though! :)

Chris Ogle 6 years, 8 months ago

20 bucks would be perfect. I am temporarily retired, but at 20 bucks per day.... lets see here...yep, by May I will be riding a new bike (with motor).

SMe 6 years, 8 months ago

Then of course they (governments local, state and federal) would have to tax you for the mileage ridden because the tax dollars paid through gasoline taxes were further reduced. Of course the additional tax would have to be more than $20 a month.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 8 months ago

Dear Ms. Irs:I regret to inform you that an error exists on form 674900"g', (bike incentives) . The correct amount is $20.00 per day, not per month. Thanks, Joe the plumber, Lansing

madameX 6 years, 8 months ago

Do you all really think that the point of this is to have all people riding bikes every day, no matter what the weather and no matter how far? No, I think it's much more likely that the point is to encourage folks who have short drives to consider whether or not biking is a viable alternative to driving in their individual cases. Just because it's not viable for you personally doesn't mean it's not viable for someone else. I can't bike to work cause I work 40 miles from home, but my husband already avoids driving to his job downtown because of parking tickets alone. Everyone's situation is different.

Kat Christian 6 years, 8 months ago

No way. Not even $1,000 would convince me. Where would I put the kid, backpack, purse, coffee? Perhaps if I were younger and didn't have a dependent I would if I had a bike, which I don't. Nope - no way.

coolmom 6 years, 8 months ago

this could be fun but a bike would never fit the kids and stuff that i must drag around on an every day basis. i do ride when the weather is nice usually 15/16 miles each trip on weekends then it takes all week to recover so i can do it again.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 8 months ago

If I peddle my bike more than 70mph on the tollroad, will I have to pay a higher toll?

Deja Coffin 6 years, 8 months ago

Thanks Waka1 and Tow Shewmon, that made me smile. The thought of some person walking in to work all pitted out was a gross visual. I'm a stay-at-home mom so n/a for me. If it's the employer paying it don't you think they'll just take that money from somewhere else. Starting wage might be alittle lower or something. Plus how do you monitor that, you gonna have someone come out every day and check out your bike? What if you ride in like 90% of the time, do you still get the 20 bucks? Hmmmm

jonas_opines 6 years, 8 months ago

Nope, my scooter goes faster than a bike, only uses up a gallon of gas a week, and is useable over the same periods of time. You can give me $20 though, if you want to.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 8 months ago

coolmom, you could attach a wagon, now we're talking.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 8 months ago

Would it count if I peddle down to the end of my drive to get the paper? I would look at the "help wanted" section.As they say, Looking for a job is a job !

notajayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Let's see - that's less than $1 per work day. Even if you only make minimum wage, you'd have to have less than a five-minute bike ride each way to be worth your time.

EasilyAmused 6 years, 8 months ago

I walk to work already, so to take advantage of this program I'd have to buy a bike? Why the preference of biking over walking? Biking is MUCH harder than walking when wearing a skirt.

classclown 6 years, 8 months ago

If I ride a unicycle will I only get $10.00?

Chris Ogle 6 years, 8 months ago

you get $50 if you pull a wagon behind the unicycle.

sjschlag 6 years, 8 months ago

I already bike to work.,,the additional $20 would be nice.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 8 months ago

If I could ride a bike to work, I'd do it without incentive -- it would save me money, and I don't need an incentive to save money.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 8 months ago

We are all very proud of you sgtwolverine. But for me... I want money.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 8 months ago

What I meant to include but forgot is that I also have an incentive to drive -- being self-employed, I get a deduction for business mileage, and that deduction is incredibly helpful. So yeah, I'd ride a bike, but not too much.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 8 months ago

"“No, I live in Perry so, it would not. It’s a 30 minute drive.”— Katherine Williams, Webmaster, Waco, Texas"Does anyone else see the problem here?

kathyw105 6 years, 8 months ago

Hey OldEnuf2BYurDad,Did you ever think that she is "originally" from Waco Texas, as Allison Burch is "originally" from Rochester, Minn.??? Just a thought...

kathyw105 6 years, 8 months ago

My boyfriend had an interesting question: how would they administer/enforce such a program? Couldn't any one off the street say that they'll ride their bike to get the $20/month? Maybe someone can clue me in on something we're missing.

kathyw105 6 years, 8 months ago

Interesting thought JackRipper...interesting indeed.

GardenMomma 6 years, 8 months ago

The $20 is probably considered employee income and as such would be subject to payroll taxes - federal income, social security, medicare, and state income taxes. So in all actuality, the $20 "incentive" would probably really only net about $15. And then of course, since there would be no gasoline tax to pay for the maintenance on the streets, toll roads would be introduced for the bike riders. Figure at least $1 each way and your net incentive is close to halved. Figure in the cost to purchase a bike lock, headlight (because you wouldn't want to be fined for not having one if you are riding after dark), highlighted clothing, fanny pack, helmet, water bottle, etc. Oh.....shoot.

MeAndFannieLou 6 years, 8 months ago

No, because I can't make it up that hill on a bicycle. Would they pay employees to walk to work? I would do that (and often do)....

Richard Heckler 6 years, 8 months ago

Roller skaters/bladers,walkers and cyclists should be considered for the $20 a month.If more locally employed would consider such it would help a great deal regarding traffic,parking,clean air,health and keeping gas prices down. Prices on the east coast were 30-40 cents higher than in Lawrence last week. Increasing here as well.Bike commuting helpers:http://www.burley.com/products/child/dlite.cfm

allateup 6 years, 8 months ago

only white people live in Perry..........doh!

FMT6488 6 years, 8 months ago

HAH! I've been doing this for years - now I can get $20 dollars a month to continue? Sure thing. Now can I get rebates for all the years I've been doing this? At $20/ month, ($240/yr.) for say .... 12 years(it's more, but I'm not greedy)... hmmm. Wow! that comes to $2880, not including the interest.

Godot 6 years, 8 months ago

Depends on whether you work for the government, where time does not matter, cause you know you will be paid no matter how late you are or how smelly you are when you get to work, or whether you work in the private sector where you have to get to work on time, looking good, and smelling sweet.

vladpop 6 years, 8 months ago

Lets see..... If you commute by car 30-35 minutes per day its probably about 15 miles one way. That means you would save about $120 per month on gas. Plus wear and tear on your car. Make that another $50 per month less on oil changes and general wear and tear. Total $2,040 per year. If you smoke, it will make you quit smoking so it will save your life. Priceless. If you don't smoke, you will get into such great shape it will lower your healthcare costs. You'll cut down on the Tylenols, Antibiotics, Throat Medicines, doctor visit co-pays, etc. At least another $500 per year. Plus you'll feel like a million bucks, think more clearly and function more productively. With less weight you'll also look better, which always helps, at work or social situations. Oh yes, and you will do your own to help the environment.I commute to work on a bike and ride regularly, which took me from a slow and sloppy 185 lbs to a lean and mean 145 lbs and less than 5% body fat. By the way, given the wind resistance on your bike you actually don't sweat that much. Unless its 100 outside and you're riding in to work in the middle of the day, you will not coming in sweaty. Win win all the way....

persevering_gal 6 years, 8 months ago

You would have to pay me a lot more than $20 to have me ride my bike to work in Lawrence with the crazy drivers around here! Also give me some hockey pads to wear as I ride my bike and then we'll talk.

kathyw105 6 years, 8 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad wrote:"““No, I live in Perry so, it would not. It’s a 30 minute drive.”— Katherine Williams, Webmaster, Waco, Texas”Does anyone else see the problem here?"allateup wrote: "only white people live in Perry……….doh!"Dear OldEnuf2BYurDad and allateup,It must be difficult to be so ignorant and pitiful. Why do you feel the need to always point out if someone is different. Maybe you should be happy that someone is a strong enough individual to live in a rural community when they may not look like everyone else. This world will never change until people like you just disappear!!! So go gather your confederate flags, rub your beer belly, screw your first-cousin, and get a life. Good bye and good riddance!

gsxr600 6 years, 8 months ago

great. more people on the road to ignore stop signs and right of ways.