Previous   Next

Would you like to speak a foreign language?

Asked at language on January 5, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, because I think it’d be cool to go to that country and learn how to talk to people.”

“Yes, because it would help me in life and it would be interesting.”

“Yes, because you could go anywhere and if you learned the language, you could talk.”

“Yes. I think it’d be cool because if I went there, I could speak it.”

“Yes. If you ever wanted to say something to somebody in that language, they would really know what you’re saying.”

“Yes, because if I happen to move to a different country, I’d like to know how to speak their language.”

Related story

Comments

mom_of_three 6 years, 6 months ago

I wanted to learn a foreign language in school, but Algebra II was easier for me, so I did that instead.

grammaddy 6 years, 6 months ago

I'd like to learn French so I could communicate better with 2 granddaughters in France. I took German for 1 year in high school cus I thought it sounded like I was "talking dirty" all the time. Don't remember much but how to count to 10.

classclown 6 years, 6 months ago

Aisling 6 years, 6 months ago

oh and I also speak Iowegian and sometimes candienne-eh.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 6 months ago

"Ein beir, bitte. ""Wos ist das Null-Null?" That's about the extent of my German language ability these days.(null-null was a slang term for bathroom)

BuffyloGal 6 years, 6 months ago

Stick around long enough and English might become the foreign language allowing you to achieve your goal of speaking a foreign language.-----With lingua francas each lasting a few hundred years, and English only being the latest, I think you might be exaggerating a bit. English is here to stay for a long time. I am fluent in French and recommend a second language for anyone with a sense of adventure. I think I may have to learn Chinese though as my ten-year-old son is showing an interest in martial arts movies (the source of the Slayer's powers!).

Mixolydian 6 years, 6 months ago

I've been to about 30 countries, and there's really only two phrases to learn before traveling:(1) I'd like a beer(2) Where's is the bathroom.Everything else can be hand gestures.

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

Wo de kanfa shi yi xie wiayu xuexi dui ni de shenghuo shuiping you haochu.

John Hamm 6 years, 6 months ago

Sure wouldn't hurt to learn Spanish or Chinese the way Amerika's headed.

BuffyloGal 6 years, 6 months ago

Layogenic: Filipino for someone good-looking from afar but ugly up close - a full-blown Monet in English.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

I took Spanish for 4 years in high school but still can only have basic Spanish conversations. I would love to be more fluent because I feel like nowadays to live here you gotta learn it. I really want to learn Italian because I think it'd probably make me even hotter when I spoke it. Hopefully I'll take a trip to Italy and have an excuse to learn it.

Kirk Larson 6 years, 6 months ago

I took Latin in high school and college. It improved my English and made it easier to later learn Swahili. Latin is like that. The rules are so established, it helps you know what you need to learn when picking up a new language. It was also very helpful in biology.

AjiDeGallina 6 years, 6 months ago

I speak English, Spanish and American Sign Language.It has made my life better in many ways.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

Though not exactly a foreign language,a friend and I are learning twinspeak.We're teaching each other.

AjiDeGallina 6 years, 6 months ago

Marion, you are the natural born liar, you have shamed your family name over and over with your anti-semite sentiments and worse, your lies.You have fallen from society and have become nothing more than an example of what happens when your brain rots.

VTHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Jonas:你说的有道理。我自认为学外语是我们都该做的一件事。

bd 6 years, 6 months ago

Do we live in ENGLAND??NO, so is english a foriegn language????

ms_canada 6 years, 6 months ago

I thoroughly enjoyed learning Spanish and Portuguese. And it made travel in Europe much more interesting. Trying to speak in those countries was fun and I found that the people really appreciated the attempt. I even managed a bit of Italian in Italy. I could order a meal and ask directions. And of course for we Canadians the study of French in High School is required if we are taking a University Entrance course.