Previous   Next

Did you ever want to be an astronaut growing up?

Asked at Southwind 12 Theater, 3433 Iowa on January 5, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I did. When I was in high school, I wanted to be a research physicist. I wanted to get into the space program, work for NASA and possibly be an astronaut.”

“No. I was afraid I would get dizzy and get sick spinning around in the training sessions.”

“No. I am not a risk taker.”

“No, because it’s one of the toughest jobs you can have; tough training, get sick and go through all kinds of trouble to put your life in danger.”

Related story

Comments

not_so_greek 5 years, 3 months ago

Ariadne: "not qualified to be an Air Force pilot."__what an understatement.

phyllyphat 5 years, 3 months ago

the naked ape has a lot more evolving to do before therell be any kind of viable off-world living. solar radiation plays havoc with our cells folks. but, maybe this type of mutating is what we need to evolve into a space ape. though this progression will take hundreds, maybe thousands of yrs to accomplish. sorry to burst yer bubble cities moon and mars phreex. think about solar power plant satellites insteads, freds...

ariadne 5 years, 3 months ago

yes - too old now but should have would have couldn't have -- probably due to eyesight, not qualified to be anAir Force pilot.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 3 months ago

No way. But I think I'd make a decent astronaut's wife or maybe be a M.I.B. like Will Smith only a W.I.B. I look good in black.Oh and waka1, again, you crack me up.

RonnieM 5 years, 3 months ago

I graduated for Univ of Missouri at Rolla in 1970 as a mechanical engineer, and my first job was in Florida working on a proposal to design the main engine for the Space Shuttle. I got the paperwork to become a mission specialist, but a couple of kids later, I gave up on the idea. We used to watch space shuttle launches from the windows at work in West Palm Beach.

rubberband 5 years, 3 months ago

Yes, so I could collect moon rocks.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

Just once I would like to see a serious question taken seriously!You know, the women who played Uhura actually received death threats for the nerve of playing an officer? She was going to leave the show and Martin Luther King Jr. persuaded her to stay on to persuade black girls that they could be anything. Many astronauts and scientists were motivated by that show.Science is extremely important and also very interesting as it is a study of the universe or verses in which we live.India and China have both landed probes on the moon.What does this mean to all of us in terms of the future?

Pywacket 5 years, 3 months ago

Not really--I hate astroturf. Moon Pies are good, but only in moderation. The closest I came to wanting to be an astronaut was a brief romantic desire to fly fighter planes... brief, because I soon discovered that myopia would disqualify me.When I was growing up, astronauts flew in those claustrophobic capsules and I well remember the horror when Gus Grissom, Roger Chaffee, and Ed White burned to death in their Apollo capsule--on the ground. Even as a kid, the idea of being locked into a tiny enclosure with no good escape route gave me the willies.I loved watching the televised take-offs & splashdowns and, later, the lunar landings, but was content being a spectator.I really wanted to be a farmer--or a veterinarian--or an artist.

mom_of_three 5 years, 3 months ago

I can honestly say I never wanted to be an astronaut. Not a job for someone who doesn't like heights...or .....science.....claustrophobic...or flying

tatchity 5 years, 3 months ago

Heck yes I did. After watching the movie Space Camp I worked as a paper boy in central Iowa for a year. I saved up and eventually went to Space Camp and it was the best week of my life.

Poon 5 years, 3 months ago

I mean if they are over 18 of course - lest my post get misconstrued.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 3 months ago

No, I didn't want to be an astronaut growing up; I wanted to be a full-grown astronaut.Actually, I don't think I ever did want to be an astronaut. I'm not really sure what I wanted to be.

Poon 5 years, 3 months ago

If boys go to Jupiter and girls go to Mars, I think I will show up in crossdress and try to get on the wrong ship intentionally.

Gootsie 5 years, 3 months ago

inmate shoots and scores!!! Well, maybe he didn't want to score though...Nope. But I've met Steve Hawley and he is a wonderful guy and loved space travel. Standing by his patches and his space food souvenirs was enough for me.

BrianR 5 years, 3 months ago

At one point I thought I wanted to be an astronaut but I was tempted by the Dark Side (because they have cookies) and became a Sith Lord instead.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 3 months ago

I always wanted to be a disgraced cosmonaut.

Mary Darst 5 years, 3 months ago

audie.... Yes I am! I signed in yesterday. Lilly is too busy watching western movies. I'll ask him? And No , I never wanted to be an astronaut. I couldn't stand the idea of the bathroom stuff.

coolmom 5 years, 3 months ago

i thought that would be the coolest ever and i was a daredevil kind of kid but alas i get dizzy spinning in circles, wear glasses and my math skills shouldnt leave the planet. i have a young son who dreams of space and settling new planets and it is fun to dream and plan with him.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

In a shaved New York minute. Think about it space is the only place where people of different countries are working together in peace. Scientists consider knowledge something to be shared by all. My granddaughter has been accepted for the masters program at KUMC and I imagine her planning communities on Mars.When she was five she would take broken paper towel holders and pretend they were Star Trek Communicators.The original Star Trek had a interracial crew which infuriated many at the time. Anyone old enough to remember "the kiss"?

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

I was about 7 when the Challenger exploded.No.

autie 5 years, 3 months ago

Well I see that charliejohnson showed up yesterday...bout time. Did Lily think about it also?

prospector 5 years, 3 months ago

No, I never could stomach Tang. Blah

autie 5 years, 3 months ago

not for a second...I can't get over ten feet off the ground without veritgo anymore..besides..in space, no one can hear you scream, I don't think I would like that much..

Tony Kisner 5 years, 3 months ago

Donnuts,Thanks for the FYI on Venus. We had talked to our travel agent and he was very excited about Venus. Based on your post I think we will just go to Branson like last year.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 3 months ago

Nopers...I gave up wearing diapers.

dajudge 5 years, 3 months ago

Astronaut--no.Stick-minder--yes.

BuffyloGal 5 years, 3 months ago

When I was a kid, we had nine planets. Go figure. The coolest thing about science is its ability to change! Since I've worn glasses since grade one, I never felt a career in space was in my future.

Donnuts 5 years, 3 months ago

Maybe I should clarify this for people that are not familiar with their planets and never have been. The misconception of Venus previous to 1991 was that it's surface was a continual dust storm that was very high in temperature. The landing unit they used to measure data of Venus was flawed in that it did not last long enough to continue. Currently we know that Venus has many volcanoes, so many in fact it would be hard to land not near enough to one to be measuring an eruption.

gccs14r 5 years, 3 months ago

I didn't want to be an astronaut, I wanted to be part of Starfleet.

KyleXY 5 years, 3 months ago

On my planet, we're all astronauts. BTW, the harvest from Earth looks good this year.

waka1 5 years, 3 months ago

dude i dont no if i could handel being that high

inmate 5 years, 3 months ago

Astronauts scare me. Yesterday another inmate looked at me and said in a pirate-like voice, "Someday I'd like to visit Uranus."

blue73harley 5 years, 3 months ago

No but I have often been accused of being a space cadet.

Donnuts 5 years, 3 months ago

Certainly did. I knew all there was to know about astronomy. It is amazing what we have discovered since the '70's. For instance Venus surface is a lot different than we expected in the '70's and '80's. Skylab fell though and it made me leery. Space travel was a really romanticized thing for me in the '70's. There was even a fellow at church that loved to talk to me as a kid about it. I was merely 10 years old.