Previous   Next

Did you ever want to be an astronaut growing up?

Asked at Southwind 12 Theater, 3433 Iowa on January 5, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I did. When I was in high school, I wanted to be a research physicist. I wanted to get into the space program, work for NASA and possibly be an astronaut.”

“No. I was afraid I would get dizzy and get sick spinning around in the training sessions.”

“No. I am not a risk taker.”

“No, because it’s one of the toughest jobs you can have; tough training, get sick and go through all kinds of trouble to put your life in danger.”

Related story

Comments

KyleXY 5 years, 11 months ago

On my planet, we're all astronauts. BTW, the harvest from Earth looks good this year.

gccs14r 5 years, 11 months ago

I didn't want to be an astronaut, I wanted to be part of Starfleet.

BuffyloGal 5 years, 11 months ago

When I was a kid, we had nine planets. Go figure. The coolest thing about science is its ability to change! Since I've worn glasses since grade one, I never felt a career in space was in my future.

Tony Kisner 5 years, 11 months ago

Donnuts,Thanks for the FYI on Venus. We had talked to our travel agent and he was very excited about Venus. Based on your post I think we will just go to Branson like last year.

jonas_opines 5 years, 11 months ago

I was about 7 when the Challenger exploded.No.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

In a shaved New York minute. Think about it space is the only place where people of different countries are working together in peace. Scientists consider knowledge something to be shared by all. My granddaughter has been accepted for the masters program at KUMC and I imagine her planning communities on Mars.When she was five she would take broken paper towel holders and pretend they were Star Trek Communicators.The original Star Trek had a interracial crew which infuriated many at the time. Anyone old enough to remember "the kiss"?

coolmom 5 years, 11 months ago

i thought that would be the coolest ever and i was a daredevil kind of kid but alas i get dizzy spinning in circles, wear glasses and my math skills shouldnt leave the planet. i have a young son who dreams of space and settling new planets and it is fun to dream and plan with him.

Mary Darst 5 years, 11 months ago

audie.... Yes I am! I signed in yesterday. Lilly is too busy watching western movies. I'll ask him? And No , I never wanted to be an astronaut. I couldn't stand the idea of the bathroom stuff.

BrianR 5 years, 11 months ago

At one point I thought I wanted to be an astronaut but I was tempted by the Dark Side (because they have cookies) and became a Sith Lord instead.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 11 months ago

inmate shoots and scores!!! Well, maybe he didn't want to score though...Nope. But I've met Steve Hawley and he is a wonderful guy and loved space travel. Standing by his patches and his space food souvenirs was enough for me.

Poon 5 years, 11 months ago

If boys go to Jupiter and girls go to Mars, I think I will show up in crossdress and try to get on the wrong ship intentionally.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 11 months ago

No, I didn't want to be an astronaut growing up; I wanted to be a full-grown astronaut.Actually, I don't think I ever did want to be an astronaut. I'm not really sure what I wanted to be.

Poon 5 years, 11 months ago

I mean if they are over 18 of course - lest my post get misconstrued.

tatchity 5 years, 11 months ago

Heck yes I did. After watching the movie Space Camp I worked as a paper boy in central Iowa for a year. I saved up and eventually went to Space Camp and it was the best week of my life.

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

I can honestly say I never wanted to be an astronaut. Not a job for someone who doesn't like heights...or .....science.....claustrophobic...or flying

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

Just once I would like to see a serious question taken seriously!You know, the women who played Uhura actually received death threats for the nerve of playing an officer? She was going to leave the show and Martin Luther King Jr. persuaded her to stay on to persuade black girls that they could be anything. Many astronauts and scientists were motivated by that show.Science is extremely important and also very interesting as it is a study of the universe or verses in which we live.India and China have both landed probes on the moon.What does this mean to all of us in terms of the future?

RonnieM 5 years, 11 months ago

I graduated for Univ of Missouri at Rolla in 1970 as a mechanical engineer, and my first job was in Florida working on a proposal to design the main engine for the Space Shuttle. I got the paperwork to become a mission specialist, but a couple of kids later, I gave up on the idea. We used to watch space shuttle launches from the windows at work in West Palm Beach.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 11 months ago

No way. But I think I'd make a decent astronaut's wife or maybe be a M.I.B. like Will Smith only a W.I.B. I look good in black.Oh and waka1, again, you crack me up.

phyllyphat 5 years, 11 months ago

the naked ape has a lot more evolving to do before therell be any kind of viable off-world living. solar radiation plays havoc with our cells folks. but, maybe this type of mutating is what we need to evolve into a space ape. though this progression will take hundreds, maybe thousands of yrs to accomplish. sorry to burst yer bubble cities moon and mars phreex. think about solar power plant satellites insteads, freds...