Previous   Next

Would you ever participate in an organized protest or demonstration?

Asked at 31st and Iowa streets on January 4, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yeah, if it was for a good cause; something I believed in.”

“Yeah … if I was willing to stand out in public and show people I believed in it.”

“I would not. It’s just not my style.”

“No, I don’t think so. It doesn’t seem to do a lot of good usually.”

Related story

Comments

BuffyloGal 6 years, 6 months ago

Have. Gulf War I in 1991. Drove all night to DC and had a blast. There were close to 70,000 people in the protest but the radio said under 10,000.By Gulf War II I decided to stay home since I knew how useless it would be.

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

Uh oh! Flash-grenade on the OTS! Thankfully, it's a Sunday so we can just ignore it.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 6 months ago

I protested the role of George W. Bush in the breakup of Pangaea.

labmonkey 6 years, 6 months ago

I might join an organized protest protesting organized protests.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 6 months ago

Only to help the frogs cross the road at Haskell Ave. Now that is dangerous.

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

Amendment: No matter where I currently am in the world, if I hear news that Fred Phelps has passed away, I will come back to protest his funeral.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 6 months ago

One of my favorites was when the 'tree huggers' were at KFC protesting the way chickens were being treated. That didn't last long..... I think they went inside and had lunch.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

jonas: "Amendment...."Irreverence in the face of death is relegated to irrelevance.

flux 6 years, 6 months ago

Danielle....thats a great answer.....ha ha ha..........what the hell shes cute.

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

tangent: There are few things more irrelevant than reverence for death.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

jonas, Multi, alm... sad. Just sad.But I suppose there's no better way to know one's enemy than to become him.

dajudge 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, if Fred Phelps passed away, now, that would be something I could shake my stick at, in an organized fashion, of course.

flux 6 years, 6 months ago

Tangential.....are you related to Nietzsche?

flux 6 years, 6 months ago

Those guys actually put up instead of just talking big. They have been freezing their asses off for years getting their messege out. I have respect for those stoners

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

flux: Tangential…..are you related to Nietzsche?She's my mom.

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

tangent: Bah, it's justice, not contamination.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

I'd join a protest even if I didn't believe in what it stood for. I'm a sucker for social scenes. I like looking like I care even if I don't.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

Really, jonas, if you could let go of the emotional involvement and just assume the role of poser, like Deja, I think I could respect you for that.

alm77 6 years, 6 months ago

tang, well Fred says he's a Christian right? And Jesus told us to treat others how you want to be treated, right? So really, Fred must want us to protest his funeral. So, maybe I wouldn't... in that case... I dunno. It's a conundrum.

mom_of_three 6 years, 6 months ago

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if a large group came to protest Phelps wherever he was. Surround the group with a much larger group of people and drown them out. I have always wondered.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 6 months ago

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it."Mitch HedbergSeriously, I don't think much of protests and demonstrations, especially when they take place in a country where protests and demonstrations are allowed. If you want to effect change, don't just hold signs and yell slogans; go DO something.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

alm77, I think that the best defense against ole' Freddie would be to go where he's protesting and then just have a line of same sex people making out in front of them and tuning them out. I'm sure that'd get their blood boiling. The way those people work is they get people so upset that the other people act violently towards them and then they bring out their lawyers and sue the person that goes against them.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

Deja: "alm77, I think that the best defense against ole' Freddie would be to go where he's protesting and then just have a line of same sex people making out in front of them and tuning them out."
Faginot Line?

Jim Phillips 6 years, 6 months ago

Only if a protest really changed anything. So no. They are a huge waste of time and energy that create an unnecessary economic burden on public safety organizations. And yes, I know one has a Constitutionally protected right t do so.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

I was thinking more like the Rainbow Guard

rubberband 6 years, 6 months ago

While dajudge shakes his stick, I'll throw rocks. In an organized fashion, of course.....

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, Tangent, but that scenario, though it might gain your respect, would lose me the respect of someone who's respect I consider, realistically, to be more important: my own.

Mary Darst 6 years, 6 months ago

I protested against "Fred" once. His group had come to my town to protest a gay rights group that was starting at our local high school. What a pitiful display of Christian people. Ha!!! I wasn't suprised about how his people looked, a little unkept. There were quite a few people who did come and stand up against him. Sad to think there are people out there who think that way. No wonder people can't just get along.

flux 6 years, 6 months ago

Guardian....you are an idiot! I bet you are just a huge inspiration to the people around you.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 6 months ago

So enlighten me, O Great and Wise flux!

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

Wow Marion, tell us how you really feel

Mary Darst 6 years, 6 months ago

Back in the day...when younger people really cared about social injustice and freedoms ,they stood tall and did protest what they felt was wrong. Kids today seem to care only about a couple of things. Themselves and who is going to be there to entertain them next. I miss the compassion and comitment to those issues of old. Even if protesting doesn't change much, at least you know someone out there really cares.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 6 months ago

Oh, Benny! If you really believe it was the protests and marches that brought about those necessary changes, you obviously believe in the Easter bunny. Those changes were brought about through hard work in the legislature after the proper candidates were elected on specific platforms and not from holding up a sign and marching. I will grant you that the protest marches put Dr. King and Dr. Abernathy in the spotlight and it was they who were instrumental in getting reforms passed, but the legisiation was passed on the floor of the Senate and not in the streets of Selma, Alabama.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 6 months ago

yeah but you gotta admit Marion, it'd probably be some really good reading material.

mrjunglemaster2 6 years, 6 months ago

If I could throw an egg at Fred Phelps, then yes I would.

Romans832 6 years, 6 months ago

Thanks, informed, for being willing to lay your beliefs on the life. I, too, will take a stand for unborn babies and their mothers (such as Life Chain and marches on Jan. 22) whenever possible. I've never been arrested, though.

Romans832 6 years, 6 months ago

... and for being willing to lay your beliefs on the LINE. (Spotted the typo from the last message after the fact.)