Previous   Next

What was your most unique pet?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 3, 2009

Browse the archives

“It’s a chinchilla. I was going to raise a coat.”

“Baby Jersey calves (because) they’re so cute.”

“Sam the goldfish … jumped out of the tank … into a garbage can and didn’t survive.”

“Sabrina, my dog. She is 4 pounds and she’s wild, and she jumps all over.”

Comments

yellowhouse 5 years, 3 months ago

I had a spider monkeySeveral O'PossumsA pet Pig named Saraha nest of baby grackelsand a pet goat.Cant decide which was more wierd!

ariadne 5 years, 3 months ago

a 21 year old University of Denver art student?LOL

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 3 months ago

Hah!The pet crayfish! I remember now.

rubberband 5 years, 3 months ago

That just brings tears to my eyes. I am so sorry! :(

dajudge 5 years, 3 months ago

rubberband--I did have a pet rock with my pet stick, but I had to hide the key under it, so they didn't get to play together.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 3 months ago

devo: "Tighten it up LJW." Lighten it up, devo. ,;-) renegade: "Uhmmm, instead of 'Sebrina' being hot, I meant to say “Tracy” is hot. My bad." Yeah... yeah... yeah... next it'll be Conk. .;-D

renegade 5 years, 3 months ago

Uhmmm, instead of 'Sebrina' being hot, I meant to say "Tracy" is hot. My bad.

renegade 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey devobrun, why don't you just go to your Mensa society gathering.

devobrun 5 years, 3 months ago

Unique: definition is one-of-a-kind. Singular. Without duplicate.Unusual: definition is rarely found. Non-typical. Odd.Are you asking about a one-of-a-kind pet? Or are you misusing a word?If the poor understanding of English was the only erroneous reportage, then oh well.However, sloppy use of the language is also accompanied by articles in this paper that show the inability to understand science, engineering, and definitions of many things. Tighten it up LJW.

renegade 5 years, 3 months ago

I never had a unique pet,,, but,,, OMG, Sabrina is just SMOKIN' HOT!!!!!!! I swear I saw her at the 'Bird',,, or Baby Dolls! LJW, do have her last name?

Pywacket 5 years, 3 months ago

Which grammarian? Anyone I know?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 3 months ago

Py,Beef-eating newts and hair-tethered flies.And I thought the grammarian was scary.,;-D

waydownsouth 5 years, 3 months ago

Had a pet snake once. Stayed to itself didn't bother anyone. Didn't have to walk it or give it food everyday or listen to chatter.

Pywacket 5 years, 3 months ago

I came out of work one night and found that "someone" had left a coffee can in my locked car. In the coffee can was a salamander, contentedly snuggling into the damp earth provided for that purpose. I took him home and he was an entertaining pet for several years. I named him Newt the Newt. He enjoyed swimming in the bathroom sink and would eat raw hamburger from my hand. He also ate greens and a variety of other stuff. He traded up from the coffee can to a terrarium condo.I've also had several snakes, including boa constrictors. The snake I've had for about 10 years now is a corn snake (snow coloration). He is very docile and much quieter than the resident dogs and cats. When I was an errant schoolgirl, I sometimes entertained myself by catching a big ol' fly, tying a long hair to it, then taping the other end of the hair to my desk. The fly would whiz around in circles at the end of the hair. The hard part was tying the knot without cutting the fly in half. Takes steady hands. Not sure that qualifies as a pet, but it would take the edge off the boredom of a Civics class in late May...

merrywidow033 5 years, 3 months ago

how exactly does one manage a golf club? unless someone is swinging it, don't they pretty much just sit there? wah-wah-wah!!!!

autie 5 years, 3 months ago

when we were kids, we had two bull head catfish in a bathtub for awhile..and a drake mallard...certainly made brushing my teeth interesting at times...

George_Braziller 5 years, 3 months ago

When I was in third grade it was a salamander that my dad found while he was working on a plumbing project. He brought it home to show us and I decided to keep it. I named it "Zachary" and kept it for a couple of years before I let it go.

Donnuts 5 years, 3 months ago

I am saving up for a falcon actually. I have had birds before and think I am ready for something more advanced. I have often admired birds of prey.

Calliope877 5 years, 3 months ago

denak,I agree! I love rats. I used to have a couple. They were very sweet and cuddley! :)

coolmom 5 years, 3 months ago

kids, iguanas, dogs, fish, pigeon, cockatiel, various assorted bugs and small creatures dragged in by the kids and the hubby.

rubberband 5 years, 3 months ago

dajudge--No pet rock to go with that stick?

denak 5 years, 3 months ago

Rats...... I don't know how "unique" they are but they are great pets. Unlike hamsters(especially female hamsters) they don't bite. They are incrediably intelligent animals, very social and just really playful, sweet animals.

Donnuts 5 years, 3 months ago

Oh, that is besides my roommates Don, Traci and Rebecca. I am not even sure if Rebecca was a roommate of mine, actually.

Donnuts 5 years, 3 months ago

My roommate Dan was the worst pet I ever had.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 3 months ago

I've had a few unusual pet peeves.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 3 months ago

thanks prune, without your link, I would have missed thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73s... anyone else loose all their stored verizon phone messagess recently? Someone just left me one, which should have been impossible, as my mail box was full. So I checked. Down to one saved message. This is very sad, as some of mine were from friends who died or important memories. Perhaps it' was a 1-1 thing?Very very sad.

MsMegsy 5 years, 3 months ago

Well - my husband is my most unusual pet! But HE once had a hedgehog for about 3 years!!

Deja Coffin 5 years, 3 months ago

A baby red-ear slider turtle that turned into a massive beast of a turtle. I miss my shelly!

BigPrune 5 years, 3 months ago

A Tarsier until it committed suicide. -They actually commit suicide in captivity, no joke. They bang their heads into the cage until they die. Not really serious about having one as a pet though.Here's a mislabeled film of a Tarsier. This is NOT a Lemur.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTMf40...

sgtwolverine 5 years, 3 months ago

A gecko. Sadly, it didn't have a British accent ... but that was also probably a good thing, since it didn't try to sell me insurance.

trinity 5 years, 3 months ago

lemur. hands down. ;) never did get in to the ranchin' end of things, tho. lilly lemur did not wish to breed.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 3 months ago

judge, you're killin me! lolthanks BrianR, that was good. (Those were really good outfits!)

not_so_greek 5 years, 3 months ago

a very stupid self-absorbed monkey. species Svenius Alstromious

mom_of_three 5 years, 3 months ago

My most unusual pet was a horse. And I had a younger sister that used to follow me everywhere like a puppy dog.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

When I was six, I thought I had a turtle that slept all the time. Turned out my parents had given me a rock.

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

Truthfully, Sabrina sounds like a pretty common 4 pound dog.

BrianR 5 years, 3 months ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says… "(Can we keep people as pets?)"This may help to answer that one:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7204543.stm

dminear60 5 years, 3 months ago

The dust bunnies that live under my bed.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 3 months ago

That IS one of my favs Dan. I want a "Pet Charlie", he's cute too.(Can we keep people as pets?)