Previous   Next

Should the city ask for volunteers to perform city services?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa on February 28, 2009

Browse the archives

“Sure. I think a lot of people probably would do it if they knew that they could.”

“Yes, because I think in Lawrence there are a lot of people who have the time to and would be willing.”

“It depends upon the service. Planting flowers is fine … but some services should be done by paid and professional staff.”

“Absolutely, because there are a lot of people here willing to volunteer and some things, like planting or grounds upkeep.”

Related story

Comments

eastside46 5 years, 9 months ago

I think it is a good idea. Maybe that is something that Some of the Homeless could help out with. I also think the City Commission should be out helping!!!!!!

Chris Ogle 5 years, 9 months ago

When/if the city gets serious..... yes I will be there to help. However, if they continue to spend, spend, spend... then I will continue to bitch, bitch, bitch.

viewfromahill 5 years, 9 months ago

Ask for volunteers? Maybe they should just continue whitewashing the fence.

monkeyhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

Why not just put some decorative gravel in those planters and call it good? The weed free parks should be an indication of the advocates putting their time where their mouths are. How did that work out?

grammaddy 5 years, 9 months ago

Good idea. And why not include the guys in jail? They used to wash the squad cars for the police department when it was still downtown. Why couldn't they be used to paint picnic tables, clean up the parks, and other non-skilled jobs the city is currently paying for. We ALL need to pitch in. What can I do for my city?

Richard Heckler 5 years, 9 months ago

Lots of taxpayers already volunteer their services to the city:

*ushers at the art center are volunteers as are many of their advisory board members

*Vinland Valley Nursery has organized volunteers to do work at the Prairie Park Nature Center more than once and donated some material.

*Volunteers sitting on the Homeless advisory committee spend hours upon hours trying for a solution

*tons of volunteers make themselves available to set forth a creditable growth plan

There are a tons of volunteers working with the city as we speak...

Chris Ogle 5 years, 9 months ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says… As long as some fellow doesn't use gasoline to kill the weeds in the planters, and then some smoker tosses a butt in right after that.

I knew this job wouldn't last long. Well, at least I tried.

alm77 5 years, 9 months ago

prospect, LOVE your Adopt-a-Planter idea!!

redmoonrising 5 years, 9 months ago

Maybe we should find groups to "adopt" a roundabout like they do stretches of highways. Was by one twice yesterday and both times there was a city employee, complete with large truck, working to clean it up.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 9 months ago

"How about downtown businesses adopting planters and getting a free advertising plague like, “Beautifully maintained by Amyx Barber Shop” or something?"

Good idea. If I had a downtown business, I'd consider that.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 9 months ago

If the city is broke why did they annex more area? Perhaps the city commission wants to use money aka tax dollars to further expand our tax bills? How you ask? Sewer lines,water lines,road additions and/or improvements or another way to put it is taking on more when they are not maintaining existing resources.

If Lawrence cannot afford to fix streets east of Iowa and east or Mass why do commissioners approve new housing etc etc?

I call it irresponsible management.

hornhunter 5 years, 9 months ago

Marion 13837 writes:

Rantor, just who in the Hell do you think you are?

He is rantor 85 that's who