Previous   Next

Should the city ask for volunteers to perform city services?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa on February 28, 2009

Browse the archives

“Sure. I think a lot of people probably would do it if they knew that they could.”

“Yes, because I think in Lawrence there are a lot of people who have the time to and would be willing.”

“It depends upon the service. Planting flowers is fine … but some services should be done by paid and professional staff.”

“Absolutely, because there are a lot of people here willing to volunteer and some things, like planting or grounds upkeep.”

Related story

Comments

hornhunter 5 years, 1 month ago

Marion 13837 writes:

Rantor, just who in the Hell do you think you are?

He is rantor 85 that's who

rantor 5 years, 1 month ago

Marion, you have always benn and always will be a nine-finger loser.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 1 month ago

rantor (Anonymous) says…

I think if you have 8,000 posts on LJW you have way too much time on your hands and need to volunteer for something or get a job."

Marion writes:

Rantor, just who in the Hell do you think you are?

STFU!

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 1 month ago

rantor, how many more posts do I need to make 8,000?

I want to volunteer at a resort community in the southwest. Am I there yet?

rantor 5 years, 1 month ago

Richard Heckler 5 years, 1 month ago

If the city is broke why did they annex more area? Perhaps the city commission wants to use money aka tax dollars to further expand our tax bills? How you ask? Sewer lines,water lines,road additions and/or improvements or another way to put it is taking on more when they are not maintaining existing resources.

If Lawrence cannot afford to fix streets east of Iowa and east or Mass why do commissioners approve new housing etc etc?

I call it irresponsible management.

spacehog 5 years, 1 month ago

I'll be happy to volunteer. How much do the jobs pay?

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh, now I get it. The question was asked at the Merc.

Go ask it at Checkers. Go ask it at Walmart. Go ask it at McDonald's on 6th near Maine street. Let's see what cooley and friends will volunteer for. Would Cooley volunteer to have no pay for his legal services for the city?

I want to get Gloria Squitiro to come and volunteer in the city manageer's office, that would be a hoot.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 1 month ago

Dawn Adams, jump on it. You be the woman!

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 1 month ago

REticent reverend, one would think that the paid neighborhood coordinator would pick up that trash, or maybe one certain person in Neighborhood Resoures should do it instead of pulling up yard sale signs.

Marge or Madge, it's all the same when it comes to "not_holroyd"," it/he/she" goes wherever the "s^&^$t is .

Marge was on my mind as Marge replaced Precious, the gal from Dalhart, the one referred to me when I called 1-800 Hfr 4you

The only way to meet people in this town is to waste your time going to endless meetings , chamber of commerce mixers, that have nothing strong enough in the mix to even find new businesses, not to forget now the possiblity of instead of Bowling Alone, you can now do a Planter Alone.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 1 month ago

Topeka is having volunteers preform maintenance on the Police Dept's cruisers.
I still don't understand why Sanitation Department workers are picking up trash in peoples yards on Kentucky St. in the mornings.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 1 month ago

I would volunteer to remove roundabouts.

I would volunteer to help clean the streets more than I already do, if the city cut the pay of the current city workers.

I think there is not much need to promote this volunteerism but rather a reorganization of duties and staff at City Hall.

After all, how many city workers at City Hall are going to clean the bathrooms at city hall, mop and vac the floors and wash the windows, and clean their offices. Not to forget the city commission meeting room. Yeah, I am sure that the commissioners will clean it on weekends and after every meeting held in it.

What a goofy question.

'not_holroyd' can help after it gets done shoveling s&*%t for Marge at the Animal shelter, oh, I forgot , it is going to Washington to keep the doggie from Kansas company as it travels to Obama's , the new Neverland of DC. Is Micheal's merry go round still around? Pelosi can volunteer to host on it.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

"How about downtown businesses adopting planters and getting a free advertising plague like, “Beautifully maintained by Amyx Barber Shop” or something?"

Good idea. If I had a downtown business, I'd consider that.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 1 month ago

I mentioned it on the other thread.. how about a planter competition? Seasonal, best by individual,minor, adult, by group, by business?

redmoonrising 5 years, 1 month ago

Maybe we should find groups to "adopt" a roundabout like they do stretches of highways. Was by one twice yesterday and both times there was a city employee, complete with large truck, working to clean it up.

alm77 5 years, 1 month ago

prospect, LOVE your Adopt-a-Planter idea!!

Chris Ogle 5 years, 1 month ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says… As long as some fellow doesn't use gasoline to kill the weeds in the planters, and then some smoker tosses a butt in right after that.

I knew this job wouldn't last long. Well, at least I tried.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 1 month ago

Lots of taxpayers already volunteer their services to the city:

*ushers at the art center are volunteers as are many of their advisory board members

*Vinland Valley Nursery has organized volunteers to do work at the Prairie Park Nature Center more than once and donated some material.

*Volunteers sitting on the Homeless advisory committee spend hours upon hours trying for a solution

*tons of volunteers make themselves available to set forth a creditable growth plan

There are a tons of volunteers working with the city as we speak...

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 1 month ago

imagine the planters having signs painted all around them like an ice rink.

prospector 5 years, 1 month ago

Sure, I do lean on a shovel real good. Kidding, the city folks do a very good job and would be freed up for more work and repair with simple upkeep and maintenance augmented by volunteers. How about downtown businesses adopting planters and getting a free advertising plague like, "Beautifully maintained by Amyx Barber Shop" or something?

grammaddy 5 years, 1 month ago

Good idea. And why not include the guys in jail? They used to wash the squad cars for the police department when it was still downtown. Why couldn't they be used to paint picnic tables, clean up the parks, and other non-skilled jobs the city is currently paying for. We ALL need to pitch in. What can I do for my city?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 1 month ago

monkeyhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Why not just put some decorative gravel in those planters and call it good? The weed free parks should be an indication of the advocates putting their time where their mouths are. How did that work out?

viewfromahill 5 years, 1 month ago

Ask for volunteers? Maybe they should just continue whitewashing the fence.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 1 month ago

When/if the city gets serious..... yes I will be there to help. However, if they continue to spend, spend, spend... then I will continue to bitch, bitch, bitch.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 1 month ago

In case you haven't figured it out, this cyper-begging on the part of the City of Lawrence is an admission that the City is broke!

Duck and cover!

eastside46 5 years, 1 month ago

I think it is a good idea. Maybe that is something that Some of the Homeless could help out with. I also think the City Commission should be out helping!!!!!!