Previous   Next

Would you ever use a walk-in health clinic?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 25, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes I would, just for the convenience of it … as long insurance still covered it.”

“I would … if it was a place that I was familiar with and it was something pretty minor that I would need.”

“Yes I would. It’s simple, easy, there when I need it and no need to make an appointment.”

“Yes, because it is more convenient. I have a child and it would be faster than trying to take her to a packed doctor’s office.”

Related story

Comments

ms_canada 5 years, 1 month ago

multi - I do have a spare room and you would be welcome. And all you would have to do is register with the Capital Health Authority.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 1 month ago

Ms_C, Can people move from the US to Canada? Do you need a boarder? ;)

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 1 month ago

autie, No, it was a Lawrence office. As for my comparison of small town compared to Lawrence. I've had multiple dealings with the ER at LMH, and one in Emporia. I expected similar results. I've also had many many dealings with KUMC, and CMH. No way. I was very disappointed from the medical end of my experience in Emporia. I hope I never have to go back there. I flat out worried about the people of the community, who don't know any there is better.

In addition, I spoke to my brother who called to say he had been deathly ill, and had spent most of the preceding year in and out of hospitals across the US. He lives far away. He came back to visit, became ill again, and spent 5 weeks at LMH. To my surprise he said, "You know kiddo, out of all the hospitals I've been in, I got the best care right here at Lawrence Memorial. People don't know just how good they have it here."

And a compliment from him is rare.

spacehog 5 years, 1 month ago

When I have a cold, I usually hop a plane to Cedars Sinai in L.A. Heck, everything's so cheap right now, why take a chance?

autie 5 years, 1 month ago

If the wait in the office is too long, simply slump out of the chair on the floor and writhe in pain..you usually get quicker service. MD, was that in a flinthills clinic? or Emporia? Smaller the town, the better the service.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey snap, you have a potential fruitcake recipient on the library increase article. (Too funny)

jaycat 5 years, 1 month ago

No way, I prefer the drive-thru. Just hang it out the window, let them take a look at it. If you need a shot, again just hang it out the window and be on your way. hahahahhahahha

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 1 month ago

Hoots, For comparison, I needed to get into see a local doc this week. They scheduled me in 5 hrs, and the person scheduling didn't even know how serious the injury was,who I was, or all the fallout that they would discover at the time of the phone call. Follow up is in a week, my choice of many times that day.

Maybe you need to get a different doc, or maybe, it's because of the type of illness reported when the call is made.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

FirstMed can be used as a walk-in or as a PCP, which is great b/c even if your doc isn't there, you can get an appt. that day and they have your chart so they know your health history.

Hoots 5 years, 1 month ago

No you don't get what you pay for. I've used walk-ins over seas and the care was better and much cheaper. On my last visit to a clinic over seas it took all of 1/2 hour to do the paperwork, see the doctor, get my meds, pay my bill, and get on my way. This was all for a grand total of $80 and included two prescriptions. We are getting ripped off here in the states. The last time I tried to make an appointment with my local doctors office they told me it would be almost 3 months. Like anyone wants to wait that long.

BABBOY 5 years, 1 month ago

"right_is_right (Anonymous) says…

Why the hell not? What a stupid question."

Hold on partner, it is my job to be the angry poster. Besides, you are wrong. It is actually a pretty good question compared to some in the past.

georgeofwesternkansas 5 years, 1 month ago

Snoozey is right. You get what you pay for.

snoozey 5 years, 1 month ago

This is an interesting question. I don't personally feel all that comfortable getting my medical care from a nurse at Walgreens. It's like taking your significant other out on Valentine's day and getting a Happy Meal. Cheap up front cost, but....

womanwarrior 5 years, 1 month ago

My doctor's office has a walk in service. A nurse practitioner sees you, and if it's just something simple she/he takes it to the doctor and they send out a prescription. If it seems to be something more serious, they bring in the doctor. It's great for sinus infections and other minor irritants that don't need a doctor's attention, but can't be treated with over the counter drugs.

Lisia 5 years, 1 month ago

I had a "regular" doctor for a while, but the walk in clinics were cheaper and the doctors and nurses there actually seemed to care more. The doctor's office I used to go to felt like I was just an income source, that no matter what, my insurance would pay them. The walk in clinic treats me like a customer, who if they do their job right, will be a returning customer.

Bassetlover 5 years, 1 month ago

In a heartbeat! We have good insurance coverage and a great family physician. But these clinics are a huge time saver when a health issue arises in the evenings or weekends that we know can be treated very easily with an antibiotic or other prescription. On a few occasions we have bypassed the family doctor and headed to Prompt Care or First Med just to avoid the typical long waiting room waits and mega bill. All of the treatments we have received in the walk-in sites have been accurate and effective. We love having this option for our health care.

ms_canada 5 years, 1 month ago

We have a lot of walk-in clinics here in Canada and they are all covered by our Medicare System. I have visited one on a weekend and received good treatment. Our province at present is in the process of building and opening more walk-in clinics. The one I have used several times is absolutely wonderful. It is not just for minor ailments. There are about 15 stretcher beds that can be used for overnight stays. X-Ray, ultra sound and other tests are available on site as are treatments. If further care is needed an ambulance is called and you are transfered to a major hospital. This happened to me recently when I had an inner ear inflammation which caused my BP to skyrocket. An IV was started with meds to bring down my BP to a safe level and at 1am. I was transferred to the hospital for a CScan of my head which discovered the problem. Now then, all this was done with no cost to me as a senior. The same treatment would be available to any and all residents of this province. We have Universal Medicare, NO ONE is excluded, rich or poor. Able to pay or not. I find it very difficult to understand how such a great country as the US does not take care of its citizens' health needs. I was encouraged when your President, last night, in his speech declared that changes need to be made to health care in your country. Step One, do you think?

Chris Ogle 5 years, 1 month ago

prospecter- hate to tell you this....you still have to walk in. .

prospector 5 years, 1 month ago

If they will see me after I drove there.

Kat Christian 5 years, 1 month ago

If only we had decent doctors in this town to fill them. They may have some great bedside manners but as far as medical skills I would rate most doctors in this town a 4. They don't think outside the box and all their knowledge is textbook which in medical technology changes as rapidly as electronic components.

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

It depends on what it is for. If my kid has strep on the weekend, perhaps, if it is the right one. But during the week, my doctor can get me in and the wait has never been long.

jesuslovingmomX9 5 years, 1 month ago

I like First Med personnaly, they never got mad if you bring all your smelly babies with you. Once I had to go there because my gynecologest couldn't see me and I had terrible itching and burning and they were more than friendly enough to me until they took care of my problem. Dr. Burt is THE MAN!

autie 5 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely. We have had one open up in our town recently that is open to like ten in the evening and some weekend hours. Hopefully it will keep all the non urgent cases out of the ER. This is a good step to trying to reduce overall cost. When you need to go somewhere..and right now..that $25 co pay beats the hell out of walking into ER and watch the meter ding up into at least triple digits just to say "Hi".

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 1 month ago

we have for those emergancy that are not er type but you still need to get in to see a doc. but yours' can't see you for a week.

right_is_right 5 years, 1 month ago

Why the hell not? What a stupid question.

solsken66 5 years, 1 month ago

Yes, we have used walk in clinics. One here in Lawrence and the Stormont-Vail clinic in Topeka. Less expensive than going to the ER for minor ailments. Hospital emergency rooms are expensive when compared to the cost of using a clinic.

pace 5 years, 1 month ago

I was referred to a walk in clinic, when I was on vacation, A few minutes, one simple test, a prescription antibiotic, the bill came to $475. the diagnosis was wrong, and the billing was so screwed, that a year later I am still working with Bcbs and the remote billing office of the clinic which is in a different state than the clinic. Yes, I did ask what the cost would be, but it turned out the girl that told me $70. was mistaken and that I didn't ask the question right.

Mary Darst 5 years, 1 month ago

I wish we had one in our town. Much better than the usual wait for the same result.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 1 month ago

If there was an i-phone app to find them, I might.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 1 month ago

Leave it to Postal analyst to have second thoughts.

ohjayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Already have. My co-pay is much cheaper than visiting the ER. It's actually identical to the co-pay as a regular doctor's office visit. Plus, they have longer hours than a doctor's office. Yes, it's not my regular doctor, but it is run by my regular doctor and his associates.

Donnuts 5 years, 1 month ago

Certainly because there are many benefits to being seen by somebody with experience whether they are your regular practitioner or not. First of all an opinion can be good and if there is another one you can be seen by it and get a second opinion if you like. I have had bad advice by one though and I would suggest you get second opinions if you think need be.