Previous   Next

Do you read food labels?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on February 20, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, definitely. I want to know how many calories, how much fat, how much salt and what ingredients are in the product.”

“Yes, I do. I check for sodium and high fructose corn syrup.”

“Yes. It helps me to control the nutrients that I get, helps me watch my fat intake, my carbohydrate intake. I’m trying to lose weight.”

Related story

Comments

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

Chuck Norris can have his cake & eat it too. If fact, Chuck Norris can have everybody's cake and eat it too.

H_Lecter 5 years, 10 months ago

I just noticed one of the labels said "size 13 neck".

Richard Heckler 5 years, 10 months ago

Absolutely no matter if it is labeled organic. Do the same if I buy beer or multi vitamins.

Corporate america is one sly fox that needs to be watched 24/7.

flux 5 years, 10 months ago

Merrill shut your pie hole. Does the world really need your opinon 24/7 ?

sunflower_sue 5 years, 10 months ago

No. But I read the back of shampoo bottles while sitting on the toilet.

trinity 5 years, 10 months ago

dear gods, YES i do; and to my dismay, i just perused the package of starkist tuna i've got here in my office for lunch. "product of thailand"???? i had no idea!

i am swearing off of label reading. forever. i thought tunas came from kansas.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

Too bad members of Congress didn't check the ingredients of the Porkulus bill. They might have discovered the RAT provision.

"The far-reaching — and potentially dangerous — provision that no one knows about. You’ve heard a lot about the astonishing spending in the $787 billion economic stimulus bill, signed into law this week by President Barack Obama. But you probably haven’t heard about a provision in the bill that threatens to politicize the way allegations of fraud and corruption are investigated — or not investigated — throughout the federal government.

Photographers take pictures of the economic stimulus bill after President Barack Obama signed the document during a ceremony at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science in Denver, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2009. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert) The provision, which attracted virtually no attention in the debate over the 1,073-page stimulus bill, creates something called the Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board — the RAT Board, as it’s known by the few insiders who are aware of it. The board would oversee the in-house watchdogs, known as inspectors general, whose job is to independently investigate allegations of wrongdoing at various federal agencies, without fear of interference by political appointees or the White House. In the name of accountability and transparency, Congress has given the RAT Board the authority to ask “that an inspector general conduct or refrain from conducting an audit or investigation.” If the inspector general doesn’t want to follow the wishes of the RAT Board, he’ll have to write a report explaining his decision to the board, as well as to the head of his agency (from whom he is supposedly independent) and to Congress. In the end, a determined inspector general can probably get his way, but only after jumping through bureaucratic hoops that will inevitably make him hesitate to go forward." http://www.dcexaminer.com/politics/The-RAT-hiding-deep-inside-the-stimulus-bill-39805642.html

Chris Ogle 5 years, 10 months ago

Donnuts (Anonymous) says… Why certainly I watch the ingredients.

Let me know if they ever move.

alm77 5 years, 10 months ago

I've just recently started reading labels. What we used to eat is pretty scary!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

I've noticed that some manufactors have been cutting down the amount of mealie bugs and adding more TVP to lemur chow.

labmonkey 5 years, 10 months ago

I hate when you buy something that is obviously supposed to be eaten in one setting and it call it 2 or 3 servings so the calories or fat intake doesn't look so bad.

Roxanne- seriously???

coolmom 5 years, 10 months ago

lol bob you made me laugh this morning thanks.

feeble 5 years, 10 months ago

have too, both the wife and I have food allergies. I really love it when a product specifies that it may contain gluten or peanuts, but leaves milk off of the warning, and then lists something like whey in the ingredient list.

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

Say there, snap - do you think that your lemurs would enjoy a hockey game? I think you should take them for a real treat to a Houston Aeros game next Friday night, Feb. 27. Tell them to pay particular attention to Rockford Icehogs left forward No. 37. The big good looking fellow!!! Let me know how they enjoy the game. Read labels, absolutely! won't buy anything without reading the label. I am very careful what goes into my body. Or on my body. :o)

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

multi - thats the very fella. Is he not handsome? (she asks with puffed out chest) We catch all the Icehogs games on AHLlive.com They beat Milwaukee Admirals last night 4-1. This is good hockey.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 10 months ago

Of course! If the label prominently features the words "Low" or "Free" in the wrong context -- such as "Low Fat" or "Sugar Free" -- I immediately discard that product.

Corn_Refiner 5 years, 10 months ago

High fructose corn syrup may have a complicated-sounding name, but it's actually a simple sweetener, made from corn, that is nutritionally the same as sugar.

The American Medical Association in June 2008 helped put to rest misunderstandings about this sweetener and obesity, stating that “high fructose syrup does not appear to contribute to obesity more than other caloric sweeteners.”

Even former critics of high fructose corn syrup dispel long-held myths and distance themselves from earlier speculation about the sweetener’s link to obesity as the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition releases its 2008 Vol. 88 supplement's comprehensive scientific review.

Many confuse pure “fructose” with "high fructose corn syrup," a sweetener that never contains fructose alone, but always in combination with a roughly equivalent amount of a second sugar (glucose). Recent studies that have examined pure fructose - often at abnormally high levels - have been inappropriately applied to high fructose corn syrup and have caused significant consumer confusion.

High fructose corn syrup is not sweeter than sugar; and high fructose corn syrup, sugar and honey all contain the same number of calories (four calories per gram).

Like table sugar and honey, high fructose corn syrup contains no artificial or synthetic ingredients or color additives.

Consumers can see the latest research and learn more about high fructose corn syrup at www.HFCSfacts.com and www.SweetSurprise.com.

Audrae Erickson President Corn Refiners Association