Previous   Next

Should Kansas raise the state minimum wage?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa on February 19, 2009

Browse the archives

“I don’t live here, but I would assume the answer is yes. It sounds a bit low.”

“Yes. People need to be able to live if they’re going to work.”

“Absolutely. People deserve a living wage.”

“Yes, definitely. I think the national minimum wage should be raised again.”

Related story

Comments

dajudge 5 years, 10 months ago

Probably, but if you don't make enough money to live on, why not change jobs, or die?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

The state of Kansas should give each minimum wage earner a carton of smokes every week.

RonBurgandy 5 years, 10 months ago

Yeppers. I am not 100% sure, but of all the states that have a minimum wage, I think Kansas is the lowest in the country. I think only 5 states don't have a minimum wage law.

gogoplata 5 years, 10 months ago

Kansas should get rid of minimum wage.

BigDog 5 years, 10 months ago

show me people that actually make $2.65 for a wage?

most who are paid that is before tips …..

in the end they are not making anything close to $2.65 an ho

d_prowess 5 years, 10 months ago

I agree multi, Mekhi Phifer has been out of the national spotlight too long. I miss him too...

hawklet21 5 years, 10 months ago

I don't know. People are going to gripe about not getting paid enough anyway, so what's the point?

feeble 5 years, 10 months ago

Clearly, minimum wage is a communist plot.

The only way to defeat the giant communist robots who would shackle humanity to the wheel of minimum wage is to re-animate the corpses of Adam Smith, John Maynard Keynes and Milton Friedman, and let loose the free market zombies of yore.

Raider 5 years, 10 months ago

So if the minimum wage for servers goes up, should I decrease the tips I leave by the appropriate percantage? Yes, servers make $2.65 an hour... on paper. Most all of them bring in around $100 per night, and on weekends you can double that.

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 10 months ago

No. There should be no minimum wage. It is an artificial price floor that ends up hurting more people than it helps.

kseagle 5 years, 10 months ago

I agree gl0ck0wn3r!

Of course, leave it to LJWorld to take a left wing loon question to a left wing loon store.

Topside 5 years, 10 months ago

parrotuya-whatever. i bet they tip way better than most people. why dump on frat boys when eveyone knows senior citizens tip pretty lousy as a whole.

Topside 5 years, 10 months ago

btw- that was sarcasm. Also, as a fromer frat boy I guess I should stop tipping. I hate to live down the new added stereotype you just gave us. throw it on the pile.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 10 months ago

The LJW ALWAYS asks the "liberal" questions in front of the Merc.

Poon 5 years, 10 months ago

Just walk around saying AFLAC! That should make the anti-goose crowd mistake you for a duck.

Poon 5 years, 10 months ago

Tomorrow's On The Street Question should be

Is it Duck Duck Goose?

or is it Duck Duck Grey Duck?

Poon 5 years, 10 months ago

Sadly, some sidwalk goers will simply duck the question.

KSChick1 5 years, 10 months ago

"hawkperchedatriverfront (Anonymous) says… No, the state should subsidize wages. If you are making $8.00 an hour in Lawrence, then the state should kick in the difference to equal the living wage of $11.00 something. The state can get more money by reducing the pay of KU staff that make more than $11.00 an hour. It is the right thing to do."

The State cannot and should not reduce a KU staff member's wages to pay some other yahoo. You're such an idiot. A KU hater.

Where do you work? Why don't we reduce your wages to pay somebody else more? You wouldn't like that, would you? Or do you even have a job? Do you make more than $11 an hour? Are you working at KU and making less than $11 an hour so you hate everyone who makes more than that at KU?

When I started at KU in 1997 as a temp, I made $6.40 an hour. Over the years of being a permanent employee, I have been given cost of living increases, some step increases although those stopped for almost 3 years, and have now earned merit raises and promotions that have pushed my pay higher. I deserve every bit of it for what I do here. It's also a natural progression to be raised in wages and responsibilities at your job. Some jobs may not be like that, but even french fry guys can graduate to flipping burgers.

Nobody "gives" it to you though. You have to earn promotions and raises and pay. DUH!!!

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 10 months ago

Again LJW why does it seem you only ask questions downtown and at the Merc? I was asked a question once in front of the downtown post office but you didn't use my comment. Either you didn't like all that common sense or you thing I'm ugly... oh I mean visage challenged.

Kat Christian 5 years, 10 months ago

dajudge are you REALLY this insensitive? You sound like flaky Marie Antionette when she replied "give then cake instead of bread." DUH!! where is your compassion, your soul? Have you gotten in touch with it lately? Sometimes it isn't that easy to just "get another job" at least one paying more, especially in Lawrence. I understand why someone born & raised would not want to leave their home for an hourly job unless they are single perhaps. But getting another paying job is here nor there. Fact remains Kansas has the lowest hourly wage in the Nation. it is an embarrassment. What I've read about the government that the block is some of those high paid fools think minimum wage should be abolished. Well we know why that is so the rich can get richer and they can pay small wages to the hourlys. I'm working poor, work in an office, I have a good job with a lot of responsibilities, a lot of stress and work very hard but I'm not going to get paid anymore than what they have to offer - partly because of the low state min wage. You know you're not the only person on this planet. Open your eyes, put yourself in another persons place and think about how they feel. Maybe then you can have a little compassion for your fellow humans.

think_about_it 5 years, 10 months ago

Why work at all? Looking at all of the freebies and giveaways that the new spendulous package delivers I would make more money if I quit my job and went fishing everyday.

$1000 refundable tax credit per child GIVEN to people who pay no federal income tax? What the hell?

think_about_it 5 years, 10 months ago

Sunshine- What? "I'm not going to get paid anymore than what they have to offer "

So raising the minimum wage is going to increase what they have to offer? Seems to me they would have less.

booyalab 5 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, we should raise it to $1,000,000 an hour. We'll all be rich! (news flash: if it doesn't work on that scale, it doesn't work at all)

davidnta 5 years, 10 months ago

I know...we should go to right wing store, oh wait it's like an hour away...darn.