Previous   Next

Did you have a nickname growing up?

Asked at Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on February 16, 2009

Browse the archives

“My high school guys called me ‘Chester Good from Hollywood,’ I think because I always stayed so clean when I played. I was a pitcher, and I never got dirty.”

“‘Butch,’ because I was so ornery.”

“‘Love Bug,’ because I would go to just anyone when I was a small child — just wanted love from anyone.”

“I got a better nickname now. A version of Holroyd turned into ‘Hemorrhoid.’”

Related story

Comments

Omegatron 6 years, 2 months ago

Everyone called me by the first initial of my first name. Still do.

Topside 6 years, 2 months ago

Schlong. That is still my nickname. I have a long Czech last name and, when pronounced correctly (never happens), that is what the first two syllabels sound like.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 2 months ago

In the Army, I was called Buffalo Bob due to a mishap involving water buffalos. (which were 400 gallon water trailers, not actual buffalo)

Chris Ogle 6 years, 2 months ago

hayseed... Loved the bibs when I was a kid. Now that I am grown out, they are the best.. they go right over my beer belly. Now if I could just find a girl.

mom_of_three 6 years, 2 months ago

When I was in grade school, they used me "shrimp" or shrimp-o at recess during our "soccer" game, because I was so short and small. Didn't bother me too much because it was true.

Trobs 6 years, 2 months ago

My brother started calling me Trobs when I was....6 or 7. Somehow it got that from Robert. It has stuck around forever. Now it's just part of my name. Can't get rid of it.

Newell_Post 6 years, 2 months ago

Cooney Man. It's not a racial slur. It's old fashioned southern slang for "clever and crafty like a raccoon." You can look it up in the Dictionary of American Slang.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 2 months ago

Let's see, with the name Deja I was lucky to have many nicknames from Dejavu, Deha, to D.J. I had a math teacher who for some reason couldn't say my first name and just called me by my last name. My mother called me fat baby because I was a.....fat...baby. Then there was freshman year. Right after basketball practice in the locker room changing I declared to all the girls that my chest was uneven. Thinking this was nothing more then girl bonding time. Unfortunately the freshman boys were changing in their locker room and heard the whole thing. One of them came up to me when I left the locker room, looks at me and goes, "you're right! They are uneven....Lopy!!" Yes, I had the nickname Lopy in high school. While my chest changed, the nickname remained. Luckily I was popular enough to just go with it and have fun. But of all the nicknames, it had to be Lopy. Geez.

stephenj 6 years, 2 months ago

Zees, Beard-faced Zissou, Beve Stagwell, Bubby, Baggins, Shagwell, Bagworm... My G'ma often calls me "Man-cub."