Previous   Next

Did you have a nickname growing up?

Asked at Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on February 16, 2009

Browse the archives

“My high school guys called me ‘Chester Good from Hollywood,’ I think because I always stayed so clean when I played. I was a pitcher, and I never got dirty.”

“‘Butch,’ because I was so ornery.”

“‘Love Bug,’ because I would go to just anyone when I was a small child — just wanted love from anyone.”

“I got a better nickname now. A version of Holroyd turned into ‘Hemorrhoid.’”

Related story

Comments

not_holroyd 5 years, 1 month ago

nothing irregular down at my end of the neighborhood, or with the dog.

And what a nice surprise.... Hawk has admitted to all of us what we knew....what he is full of.

In Dalhart, he wont' have to drive to a Walgreens or a Walmart to get his tubes of relief. They have nice independent drugstores downtown..

Not too far from the Big Texan Restaurant. 72 oz steak for free if you can eat it. Kind of the way that Hawk thinks government should work.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 1 month ago

'not_holroyd" had a hard time getting to post as the Suppositorie wouldn't fit.

And yes, "commentator_on _the axe" I have been working on this for some time. Wait till you see the campaign buttons, well shall we say, campaign logo tubes.

Preparation H is the solution to city hall. The welcome mat is about to be taken up and replaced with a new one. The present mat at city hall, needs to be laundered as it hasn't seen a scrubbing for years. Lots of dead weight trampling on it daily.

I hope "not-holroyd" got the right dose of suppositories. Too much and the poor thing will be in trouble and won't be able to sit still at The Moronic Temple of entertainment.

German food is that I smell or is it "not-holroyd".

Either way, it 's shchnitzel to me :)

stephenj 5 years, 2 months ago

Zees, Beard-faced Zissou, Beve Stagwell, Bubby, Baggins, Shagwell, Bagworm... My G'ma often calls me "Man-cub."

Deja Coffin 5 years, 2 months ago

Let's see, with the name Deja I was lucky to have many nicknames from Dejavu, Deha, to D.J. I had a math teacher who for some reason couldn't say my first name and just called me by my last name. My mother called me fat baby because I was a.....fat...baby. Then there was freshman year. Right after basketball practice in the locker room changing I declared to all the girls that my chest was uneven. Thinking this was nothing more then girl bonding time. Unfortunately the freshman boys were changing in their locker room and heard the whole thing. One of them came up to me when I left the locker room, looks at me and goes, "you're right! They are uneven....Lopy!!" Yes, I had the nickname Lopy in high school. While my chest changed, the nickname remained. Luckily I was popular enough to just go with it and have fun. But of all the nicknames, it had to be Lopy. Geez.

Liberty_One 5 years, 2 months ago

My latino friends called me "El diablo blanco," whatever that means.

not_holroyd 5 years, 2 months ago

I got a better nickname now. A version of Holroyd turned into ‘Hemorrhoid.’”  — David Holroyd, retired, Lawrence

Is it any surprise one of the community's largest pains in the you-know-what has such a nickname?

This is much better than hawkperchedwithapoleupmybuttontheriverfront

More accurate too. Is Checkers where he goes for dates?

He ought to try out the Red Hat ladies in Dalhart. They have a meeting on Thursday.

prospector 5 years, 2 months ago

R_I, I think it is the cost of doing business, so probably just a deduction of income. Yea, that is double taxation, like the oil and gas severance tax/ ad valorum tax. Join the club.

Newell_Post 5 years, 2 months ago

Cooney Man. It's not a racial slur. It's old fashioned southern slang for "clever and crafty like a raccoon." You can look it up in the Dictionary of American Slang.

Trobs 5 years, 2 months ago

My brother started calling me Trobs when I was....6 or 7. Somehow it got that from Robert. It has stuck around forever. Now it's just part of my name. Can't get rid of it.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 2 months ago

Just a hypothetical question: The Drug Stamp Tax... Is that considered personal property tax , or do you claim it as a large ticket item tax for deduction purposes.

invictus 5 years, 2 months ago

Must be church member on staff. Way to be objective journalists. I guess it is easier to erase questions than have to answer them.

invictus 5 years, 2 months ago

I did? Bloody fascism!! Must of hit too close to home, I didn’t break any posting rules only asking legitimate questions.

mom_of_three 5 years, 2 months ago

When I was in grade school, they used me "shrimp" or shrimp-o at recess during our "soccer" game, because I was so short and small. Didn't bother me too much because it was true.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 2 months ago

Alert.. looks like invictus got disappeareded on the church thread today?

commentator_on_the_axe 5 years, 2 months ago

hawkperchedonriverfront, It doesn't look like your little friend is biting today. They did take a nice picture of you shopping as you were, brave of you! Bet you were enjoying that moment. I would have expected a big %^&* eating grin to go along with that. Did you have that "Hemorrhoid" line planned out, just so you could say that about not_holroyd and City Hall? Have you planned this for years, just hoping to be asked someday? Do tell, I'm sure you probably have a few more lined up after that "doozey".

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 2 months ago

And the Preparation H needs to go to city hall, with "not_holroyd' administering it. Then that welcome mat will open up :)

prospector 5 years, 2 months ago

Marion could relate twice when he heard Johnny Cash sing "A Boy Name Sue".

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 2 months ago

When I was very a very little boy, it was "Tommy Toilet Tongue" because I had a dirty little mouth on me.

hawklet21 5 years, 2 months ago

Kitty Karry-All was one of many.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 2 months ago

Oh that was a softball lobbed. Too easy. I shall pass.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 2 months ago

No but I certainly wish I had!

Chris Ogle 5 years, 2 months ago

hayseed... Loved the bibs when I was a kid. Now that I am grown out, they are the best.. they go right over my beer belly. Now if I could just find a girl.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 2 months ago

Stripes"..good one Psycho and Ox!

Too many starting from birth, but when Jessie's Girl came out, I got tagged with it.

(Can't believe not_holroyd hasn't posted yet!)

flamingdragon 5 years, 2 months ago

"cherrypicker" .....I was the 'quagmire' of my high school

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 2 months ago

In primer school, the little red haired girl used to call me "Boom Boom"

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

In the Army, I was called Buffalo Bob due to a mishap involving water buffalos. (which were 400 gallon water trailers, not actual buffalo)

bndairdundat 5 years, 2 months ago

Let's see............

Stepinfetchit.. (a modification of first name)

Christmas..................... (algebra teacher thought I needed to move a little quicker) "Comeon, Christmas!"

Fugee.... (a slaughter of last name)

I'll answer to anything, just don't call me late for a meal.....

prospector 5 years, 2 months ago

No, but I have been call prosphincter on some of these discussion a couple times and can relate with Holroyd.

blue73harley 5 years, 2 months ago

"Crash"

An early job was driving a NAPA truck. You can guess the rest.

Fortunately, for all involved, the nickname did not stick.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

Mostly Dork. ya'know how it goes.

Topside 5 years, 2 months ago

Schlong. That is still my nickname. I have a long Czech last name and, when pronounced correctly (never happens), that is what the first two syllabels sound like.

Donnuts 5 years, 2 months ago

" You can call me Ray and you can call me Jay and you can call me Ray Jay and you can call me Blue and you can call me Blue Jay and you can call me Blue Ray and you can call me Blue Ray Jay and you can call me Blue Jay Ray, but I'll give you a clue. You can call me Sam and you can call me Hamm and you can call me Sam Hamm but don't call me Sam the Hamm!!

I am Sam Hamm the Blue Rays Jay.

POTATOCHImPs 5 years, 2 months ago

Hmmm... let's see.

When I was in 6th Grade they called me Patricia for a while when I forgot to put my name on a book report and had the author's on the top instead. A substitute came the following day and called out the name of the author and when I went up to get it after everyone had a moment of confusion there was some huge laughter when I went up to claim it because I am a male and the sub had to wonder and did not want to give it to me because everybody knew that there was no Patricia Lauber in the classroom and I was very clearly a male in addition to that. I guess I forgot to put my name at the top.

The other nicknames would give away my real name because it is really easy to rhyme with and I had nearly a million of them.

commentator_on_the_axe 5 years, 2 months ago

My name's Dewey Oxberger. My friends call me Ox.

militant 5 years, 2 months ago

"Everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you." "Also, I don't like no one touching my stuff. So just keep your meathooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. And I don't like nobody touching me. Any of you..."

Omegatron 5 years, 2 months ago

Everyone called me by the first initial of my first name. Still do.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 2 months ago

Oh no! Tell me I'm dreaming this!!