Previous   Next

Do you have triskaidekaphobia (fear of the number 13)?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 13, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yeah, I do. … I’ve got an uncle who was born on the 13th, drafted on the 13th, had his first heart attack on the 13th… . We’ve learned to respect the number 13 in our family.”

“No, I don’t. I was born on October 13th.”

“No. Thirteen is my lucky number.”

“No, I don’t. I’m not superstitious at all.”

Comments

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 10 months ago

I forgot it was the 13th until I saw the question so I guess not besides yesterday was my bad day.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 10 months ago

No, but I am still spooked over Night of the Lepus.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 10 months ago

Multi- you do know your last post was the 13th one. What luck !!

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

The number seven is said to be the perfect number.

ms_canada 5 years, 10 months ago

Oh, the question. No I am not afraid of the number 13.

sourpuss 5 years, 10 months ago

No, but I'm not a Knight Templar, so...

Never loan money to the crown.

BuffyloGal 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm only afraid of ABBA music. It's the musical equivalent of crack.

denak 5 years, 10 months ago

No, my birthday is June 13th and I always thought it was really cool when I had Friday the 13th birthdays especially when one of the Friday the 13th movies is set on June 13th.

Dena

make_a_difference 5 years, 10 months ago

Until yesterday I would have said that the number 13 doesn't hold any particular meaning to me, but...

I broke a glass...one of a new set...so after dropping child off at school, I decided to see if I could replace it (purchased on sale month ago). Got lucky and there were a few left...marked down even further. I decided to get an extra, you know, just in case. Then I realized I would have 13 glasses. I felt kind of sheepish for stopping to consider that...considered not getting an extra...considered getting just the one & ignoring that number 13. Then I proceeded to purchase 3 glasses...the replacement, an extra plus another extra. So I don't have 13 glasses. I don't have the orginal number of 12. I have 14. How dumb is that?!?! None of that was like me at all. Never before have I given the number 13 any power...don't know what happened.

And I didn't realize that today was Friday 13th until reading this blog.

Omegatron 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm with Charisse Bacchus. Not superstitious.

Also, I thought it was 4 and 9 over in japan...

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

4 in Japanese and Chinese is pronounced the same as the character for death, so it's considered very unlucky. Dunno about 9.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 10 months ago

Nope, numbers are just numbers. Seven is considered special because that is how many non-fixed objects can be seen in the night sky with the naked eye. I thought that was pretty cool when I learned it since it explained a superstition in real world terms.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 10 months ago

Quite the contrary... the universe has literally wrapped me in elevens... echoes and mirrors.

( I would explain, but that would exceed my allotted eleven words... plus Ronda's three. )