Previous   Next

Do you have triskaidekaphobia (fear of the number 13)?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 13, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yeah, I do. … I’ve got an uncle who was born on the 13th, drafted on the 13th, had his first heart attack on the 13th… . We’ve learned to respect the number 13 in our family.”

“No, I don’t. I was born on October 13th.”

“No. Thirteen is my lucky number.”

“No, I don’t. I’m not superstitious at all.”

Comments

bndairdundat 5 years, 2 months ago

I have NO fear. (Well, except for Mrs. bndair)...........

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 2 months ago

Quite the contrary... the universe has literally wrapped me in elevens... echoes and mirrors.

( I would explain, but that would exceed my allotted eleven words... plus Ronda's three. )

Kirk Larson 5 years, 2 months ago

Nope, numbers are just numbers. Seven is considered special because that is how many non-fixed objects can be seen in the night sky with the naked eye. I thought that was pretty cool when I learned it since it explained a superstition in real world terms.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 2 months ago

Maybe Louise, like the Bonnie Raitt song. They all, said Louise, was not half bad..it was written, on the walls, and the window shades...

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 2 months ago

I've had a lot of ideas but of course, the first one that came to mind was Shoemaker!

I'll have to check out the names of the moons.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 2 months ago

Not sure on the naming of the lemur. It was Snap's thing and MD came out with the awesome pic. I'm leaving it up to them, although we should have nomination process. Site Editor comes to mind.

autie 5 years, 2 months ago

Shouldn't you be at the free state by now? Friday afternoon and it is past three.

autie 5 years, 2 months ago

Now I'm suddenly hit with the urge to go home and put in some Jerry Jeff Walker..?? It most be something in some lyrics..that sinking feeling. Momma always took the dishes out first. That's where I got all my baths as a small fry.

prospector 5 years, 2 months ago

Did you take the dishes out first?

I have been in sinkholes.

autie 5 years, 2 months ago

I was thinking Francisco. He would lead us to enlightenment through humor. Yeah, the split second I hit the post button, I realized what a horrible error I had made. I wasn't In Sync but I was in a sink one time.

prospector 5 years, 2 months ago

You never told us you were in a boy band!

Mascot, either a moon of Neptune or Jupiter, or Skippy.

autie 5 years, 2 months ago

For snap, multi, prospector and TOB. Any ground gained on naming the lemur? I've been gone all day and am a little out of sync..Not like I'm ever in sync.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

4 in Japanese and Chinese is pronounced the same as the character for death, so it's considered very unlucky. Dunno about 9.

Omegatron 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm with Charisse Bacchus. Not superstitious.

Also, I thought it was 4 and 9 over in japan...

make_a_difference 5 years, 2 months ago

Until yesterday I would have said that the number 13 doesn't hold any particular meaning to me, but...

I broke a glass...one of a new set...so after dropping child off at school, I decided to see if I could replace it (purchased on sale month ago). Got lucky and there were a few left...marked down even further. I decided to get an extra, you know, just in case. Then I realized I would have 13 glasses. I felt kind of sheepish for stopping to consider that...considered not getting an extra...considered getting just the one & ignoring that number 13. Then I proceeded to purchase 3 glasses...the replacement, an extra plus another extra. So I don't have 13 glasses. I don't have the orginal number of 12. I have 14. How dumb is that?!?! None of that was like me at all. Never before have I given the number 13 any power...don't know what happened.

And I didn't realize that today was Friday 13th until reading this blog.

denak 5 years, 2 months ago

No, my birthday is June 13th and I always thought it was really cool when I had Friday the 13th birthdays especially when one of the Friday the 13th movies is set on June 13th.

Dena

8. More tax cuts!
  9. More tax cuts!
  10. More tax cuts!
  11. More tax cuts!
  12. More tax cuts!
  13. More tax cuts!

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

BuffyloGal 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm only afraid of ABBA music. It's the musical equivalent of crack.

sourpuss 5 years, 2 months ago

No, but I'm not a Knight Templar, so...

Never loan money to the crown.

prospector 5 years, 2 months ago

Compensate Abbreviate Compensate Abbreviate Compensate Abbreviate Compensate Abbreviate

Deeeeep breath

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Okay

It must be the hippo thing, peanut butter and I get along pretty good.

ms_canada 5 years, 2 months ago

Oh, the question. No I am not afraid of the number 13.

ms_canada 5 years, 2 months ago

The number seven is said to be the perfect number.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 2 months ago

prospector, I think that falls under hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia or arachibutyrophobia. Either way, it's a tough way to live...

prospector 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm scared. I have a fear of words you can't say three times fast. Is there a name for that? If so, it better be one or two syllables.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 2 months ago

Multi- you do know your last post was the 13th one. What luck !!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 2 months ago

So,snap, you're always afraid 'the rabbit will die"? Or that it won't?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

No, but I am still spooked over Night of the Lepus.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 2 months ago

Nope. My lucky numbers are 13,31,3,and so forth. I know this because a little slip of paper out of some quarter machine at Bagnell Dam told me so as child. Oddly enough..I've scored some good things on those first two.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 2 months ago

R-I

Prime numbers are overrated. Thirteen has no use except to bakers and the occult. Of course, there are meaningful numbers, but thirteen is not one of them.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 2 months ago

T_O_B, Then what are meaningful numbers? If there are meaningless numbers, then there must also be meaningful numbers.
The balance must be maintained, good and evil, Yin and Yang, right and wrong, light and dark, men and women; what's pleasure without pain?

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 2 months ago

Autie -

Just getting it out of the way this morning. You know how topics about meaningless numbers can cause a ruckus on these here message boards.

autie 5 years, 2 months ago

rather early for Godwin, don't you think. I would be more afraid of 13 lemurs. or 13 Klondike bars.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 2 months ago

Hitler had no fear of the number 13.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 2 months ago

I forgot it was the 13th until I saw the question so I guess not besides yesterday was my bad day.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 2 months ago

I would fear it if I had 13 kids....

blue73harley 5 years, 2 months ago

Since my wife's birthday is on the 13th, it kind of makes me uneasy...now if I could only remember which month....

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 2 months ago

No, just hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 2 months ago

No, but I have a fear of 13 Triscuits.