Previous   Next

Have you received a speeding ticket in the last year?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on February 10, 2009

Browse the archives

“Absolutely not. I am a careful driver.”

“No. I don’t really speed that often.”

“Yes, Manhattan, Kansas. I was going 45 in a 30.”

“No. I’m a pretty good driver.”

Related story

Comments

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Nope, the cloaking device is working well.

H_Lecter 6 years, 1 month ago

Just one warning in the last five years...for 100mph in a 70mph zone

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

blue, I had to shell out for the deluxe Romulan Bird of Prey in order to get the cloaking device. It'll make the Kessel run in less than 5 parsecs!

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

Yikes, sci-fi hybridity. Yes, too late slowing down for that construction stretch on k10 by Eudora last summer.

dajudge 6 years, 1 month ago

Well, not in the last year. But, one year, I was able to get it slowed down to 82 before he stopped me. Then he asked if that was one of them new fangled radar detectors there on my dash. I had to say "Why no sir, I guess not."

rusty2 6 years, 1 month ago

no tickets since 1998 when i was buzzing at 72 in a 45 in my last Audi.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

Yep... When the cop handed me the ticket for going 65 in a 55 he said " I see you have a radar detector, how do you like it"

John Hamm 6 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely not. I keep my eyes moving checking what's around (and ahead) of me.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

Reuben is in the "card reproduction" business. Speeding tickets are not his only concern.

hawklet21 6 years, 1 month ago

No, but I did get a bogus ticket for "running a stop sign" a few years ago. I put that in quotes because I actually didn't do it. I went to court to protest, the cop embellished his story and told an outright lie. Guess who has a moving violation on her record now...

sgtwolverine 6 years, 1 month ago

I've gotten one speeding ticket, but I think it was over a year ago. I was doing 56 in a 45. What irritates me is that I can't figure out why that stretch of road has a 45mph limit; it's a divided four-lane road with almost no development around it. Basically, its purpose is to get people from the south end of the Detroit airport to one of the highways running by the airport. Other divided four-lane roads around southern Michigan -- even far more developed roads -- have a 55mph limit, but I guess they decided they wanted a speed trap there.

mistygreen 6 years, 1 month ago

Last speeding ticket, May 1985. Last time I got pulled over, September 2001, for doing 57 in a 45. I was let go with a verbal warning to slow down and pay attention to the speed limit signs.

ThatGirl2 6 years, 1 month ago

alm77 6 years, 1 month ago

I've never in my 15 years of driving (17 if you count the 'back-road training' and learner's permit) gotten a ticket. Just remember kids: when it comes to being over the speed limit the cops say "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine!" (unless you're in town, I NEVER speed in town.)

kmat 6 years, 1 month ago

If you get busted in JoCo now (thanks idiot Kline) you can't just pay more to get it reduced to a lesser charge. You can pay a fee and apply for diversion. If accepted, then you pay more fees and have to attend diversion courses.

ms_canada 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm like babboy, not for lack of trying. I have a lead foot, I think.

kerplunkr 6 years, 1 month ago

I received my FIRST ticket just this last summer in Lawrence. $168 for not using my turn signal. I was at a stop light in a right turn lane only. Believe me, I felt VERY unlucky!

Brandon Devlin 6 years, 1 month ago

Yup. . .50 in a 35 in Tonganoxie. . .double the fine to get it reduced to a non-moving violation. And right after Christmas, too. :-(

mom_of_three 6 years, 1 month ago

I haven't had a speeding ticket in 9 years. It was in town, on 31st street, between Louisiana and Haskell, 57 in a 45. Just lost track of how fast I was going on an empty road, until the officer turned west and boom.

ThatGirl2 6 years, 1 month ago

Mr_Nancy_Boy_To_You (Tom Shewmon) says… “I'm proud to say that despite being pulled over for speed 4 times in the last two years, I have yet to receive a citation.” -ThatGirl2Hmmm, what's your secret ThatGirl2?--------------------------------------------------------------------Brutal honesty. "Do you know why I pulled you over?" "Yes, because I was speeding." "Do you have somewhere important to be right now?" "No, I was just hyper from my aerobics class and had my Outkast CD cranked up too loud and was jamming out."They're usually just shocked that I would admit all that. Works like magic!

Charles L Bloss Jr 6 years, 1 month ago

That, or just pull your skirt back a little. I know for sure that works! Thank you, Lynn

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 1 month ago

Faster, faster the lights are turning red........

gccs14r 6 years, 1 month ago

Got a warning in '04 or so, out by the landfill. I was building up speed, hoping to pass a semi on that stretch before we got to the curves. That particular vehicle had a 0-60 time of three days, so I got started waaaay back, and had just gotten it up to about 65 when I passed the Trooper hiding behind a mound of dirt. My last ticket was in MO in '94, considered a non-moving violation because it was 70 in a 55 on a road that had been 70 prior to 1974. The last ticket that stuck was 70 in a 55 in '86, which was bogus, since I was passing an unsafe tow rig on a 2-lane road and wanted to get out of the way well ahead of the oncoming traffic. Too bad the oncoming happened to be a Deputy.

riverdrifter 6 years, 1 month ago

Got a 62 in a 50 zone on Eudora Road just north of Vinland Road a year ago last fall. Don't know why it's 50 for a ways and then goes to 55 even though the road doesn't change a bit. Weird. I had two dogs in kennels and was loaded down with gear for a pheasant hunt in Iowa. The pleasant young DG officer asked "Going hunting?". I wanted to say "No, dude, we're going bonefishing in the Bahamas" but I shut up. $140 fine. Before that, the last speeder I got was in '88 or '89 on the old missile base road near Warden. I was in an '86 Vette on a Sunday morning at sunrise. 131 in a 55 and had to show up in court to get screamed at by a lady judge. Don't remember the fine. Worth it, whatever.

killjoy 6 years, 1 month ago

Better question, "How fast can you go around a roundabout?"

rightthinkertwo 6 years, 1 month ago

I don't speed or run red lights which is the norm with some drivers in Lawrence.