Previous   Next

What is your most embarrassing cell phone moment?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 8, 2009

Browse the archives

“I don’t have one because I’m a new cell phone user, so I hardly ever carry it with me.”

“It’s usually in classes … and teachers take them from you, even though you’re an adult.”

“My cell phone went off during an interview I had to work in a law firm during college.”

“Never had one. It’s always on vibrate.”

Related story

Comments

jonas_opines 7 years ago

That time when I was answering my phone while I was eating a burger! Man, I shouldn't have done that while I was driving! Thankfully, the only casualty was that one small family crossing the street! How embarrassing.

geekin_topekan 7 years ago

I was talking while driving and dodging flying cell phones,and trying clean up dribbled Mcd special sauce and I kept hearing this knocking sound.I thought I was a bearing or somthing in my rear axle but it turned out to be the illegal aliens in the trunk trying to tell me they needed to use the bathroom.How embarrassing.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years ago

When my single-cell phone repeatedly underwent mitosis one night, leaving me unable to determine which of 256 was ringing in time to take the call.(Then, there was that meiotic moment when I exceeded my allotted minutes halfway through the month.)

dipweed 7 years ago

When my vibrating cell phone startled me so much I spilled the glass of red wine I was holding on my wife. I'm not allowed to have the cell phone in restaurants any longer.

Deja Coffin 7 years ago

When I bought my first cell phone there was a really hot guy that worked at Verizon. So any time I had to buy a cell phone accessory I would go to Verizon and stare at him but never talk to him. It probably wasn't embarrassing then but to think I was the weird girl that stared down some guy while he was working is pretty embarrassing. And to think I used to think I had game!

labmonkey 7 years ago

One time, the LJW asked an OTS question about cell phones, and like Mike, I forgot there was a dead mouse on my chin.

1wetwilly 7 years ago

Hey labmonkey,I was thinking the exact same thing....too funny.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years ago

MD: "The inevitable, in bed with one man, when another decides to call... they cajole, so I show them. Then THEY are embarrassed...."Them? THEY?Multi, Multi, Multi... compartmentalize.

hammysammy 7 years ago

It’s usually in classes … and teachers take them from you, even though you’re an adult.”— Ann Nickelson, student, Overland ParkThen act like one and have a little respect and don't text message during class. It is completely disrespectful! And you guys aren't smooth. Some do it for the entirety of class. I guess I just don't understand why they even come. Doing it underneath your desk does not a clandestine text message make. Ahem. Sorry, a huge pet peeve of mine.

dajudge 7 years ago

It was at my uncle's graveside service. I can't stand it when someone's phone rings at functions like that. A phone went off. Everyone looked around. It happened to be in my inside coat pocket. It never, ever rings, but on this embarrasing moment, someone from work, who calls maybe once in two or three months was checking in with me. Ooops! I forgot to turn it off.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years ago

Well, there was that cell phone pocketed in pants so tight it had people asking whether that was my cell phone or if I was just happy to see them. Couple that with uber-vibrate mode and a persistent caller from whom I was unable to take a call at the moment and....

Maddy Griffin 7 years ago

I for one will be very sad the day the land lines disappear, as I don't own a cell phone. I don't feel the need to be that accessable to anyone.

notajayhawk 7 years ago

rantor (Anonymous) says… "If you have to share your sex life in a post, it screams, “I'm desperate and classless.”"If you have a problem with someone else talking about sex, it's most likely you who are desperate, and making personal comments re: the person isn't exactly the epitome of class.And multi, I don't think it's a hairbrush - maybe something moving and furry?****Most embarassing? An older model cell, which would frequently self-dial while in my pocket, once transmitted about 45 minutes of an argument my wife and I were having to one of my brothers.Most amusing? My ringtone was set to something classical, I think something from Beethoven's 9th, one of the big fanfare-type passages, and the phone rang exactly at the pinnacle moment of one of those experiences rantor doesn't want to hear about.

BaxterC 7 years ago

One time, my friend was molesting a dead dog and his cellphone went off while the cops were booking him...how embarrassing..

labmonkey 7 years ago

Multi and notajay-Rantor wishes it was that thing on Mike's chin.

notajayhawk 7 years ago

rantor (Anonymous) says… "notajayhawk,You were alone when your phone rang weren't you?"As I said, rant, if that's all you're capable of imagining, you really are the only one here who's desperate.

Corey Keizer 7 years ago

If Ms. Nickelson were an adult she'd know a ringing cell phone is a tad disrespectful... leading her to never have that problem.

lubyloo 7 years ago

When I was driving on the highway talking to my boss (about my evaluation, no less) and, all of a sudden, another car starting coming into my lane and almost hit me. I yelled out, "Holy, s, you ing idiot from hell!!!!" My poor boss said, "Excuse me?"

JKBagby 7 years ago

Oh we make harsh comments on the man's facial hair but what of the sidewaays trucker hat? Ashton Kucher called from 2003 and wants his juvey style back.

labmonkey 7 years ago

You're right JK.....I just never looked at the others after Mike.

Christine Anderson 7 years ago

Well, I for one find multi's comments very funny.A couple months ago, I was sending some very explicit, sexy texts to my 56 yr. old significant. I didn't have my bifocals on. Should have known better. Instead of entering area code 785, I punched in another area code. Turns out my dear one's phone number, with the wrong area code added to it, is actually a working number in a small town in Ontario, Canada! Those texts went to a 23 yr. old man, who found it all pretty entertaining.

bad_dog 6 years, 12 months ago

Funny stuff, multi/notaj.

Not an embarassing moment for me per se, but... I was at a conference a couple of years ago and went out for dinner and drinks with a group I know from the industry; hosted by a vendor. After dinner and a "few" drinks the (married but unaccompanied) vendor began dancing with a female dinner guest and getting rather "cozy" with her.

Unfortunately, the vendor's cell phone had his home number on speed dial. As you may have guessed, the keypad got pressed accidentally and called the home number. For the next few minutes the spouse at home got an earful of how much the two "admired" one another.

Bad Karma-Ouch!