Previous   Next

How do you plan to ring in the New Year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 31, 2009

Browse the archives

“I plan on ringing in the new year by hanging out with my old lady in Oakland, New Jersey.”

“(I’m) going down to Power and Light (District in Kansas City, Mo.).”

“I’m probably going to be lying in bed, watching some movies and drinking some wine.”

“I’m going to the Split Lip Rayfield show at the Bottleneck.”

Comments

Nikki May 4 years, 7 months ago

That was asked today? I really don't like how they label these. If it was asked today, presumably before press, it would be pitch black out.

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

I'll probably be up for the second or third time relieving myself and wondering 'if the doctor says my prostate is fine why do I have to do this so often?'

grammaddy 4 years, 7 months ago

Like I have every year since becoming Grandma, at home with my favorite party animals. We pop corn and watch movies and finish the last of the Christmas candy and goodies.There are no obnoxious drunks and I have 5 people to kiss at midnight. To all my LJWorld friends out there, Have a happy and SAFE New Year's Eve and a blessed and prosperous New Year!!

Bill Lee 4 years, 7 months ago

Kelley Hunt's benefit show for ECKAN at Liberty Hall if I can get my car started. It's been buried under snow for so long that the battery's dead.

preebo 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm w/Dylan, the wife and I are going to the Split-Lip show and then to the Jazzhaus to catch Mystic Rhythm Review after midnight.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 7 months ago

Roe, make an appointment with Krider Rehab, they can make it go away, they do wonders with bladder control problems for men and women. We will be watching a horror movie marathon.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

Alcohol, tobacco and firearms will all have roles to play (not all at once, tho) .

Richard Heckler 4 years, 7 months ago

Mostly sober,sipping ever so lightly and no hangover.

Mary Darst 4 years, 7 months ago

Wishing I was going to be at the Bottleneck. And, Doesn't Autie sound like fun? He has New Years Eve bah humbug.

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 7 months ago

Oh, I'm jealous of those going to see Split Lip - this will be the first time I've missed one of their NYE shows, since I discovered them in '05. :-( Ya'll have fun watching those men throw it down!

Damn cold. I guess I have to be the good person and spare others from my nasty germiness. It'll be me, the cats, dogs and old man lazing on the couch like any other night. I think a midnight cocktail of Nyquil seems like an appropriate way to ring in the New Year. Heck, maybe I should spring for some Jaeger...it makes a decent cough syrup.

jonas_opines 4 years, 7 months ago

Vodka martinis. Bought myself a bottle of Grey Goose with my xmas cash.

ms_canada 4 years, 7 months ago

Nothing special - gonna cook up some shrimp and rice with peppers. Gonna drink some Riesling and watch The Return of the King for the umpteenth time. All the best to you all in Kansas, Texas and Michigan from this old gal in the REALLY frozen north. Hope 2010 is a good year for you all. Blessings.

meggers 4 years, 7 months ago

Marcy,

If you want an alcoholic cold remedy that tastes better than Jaeger, try Rumpleminze. It's a peppermint schnapps (but much better than most) and especially good in cocoa. At 100 proof, it'll clear your lungs and keep you nice and toasty.

As for my NYE, I think the plan is a bottle of wine, pizza, and Dexter. I like to stay off the roads on 'amateur night'.

labmonkey 4 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully watching old-timey Twilight Zone episodes with my wife.

dajudge 4 years, 7 months ago

Fixing a fried catfish dinner with sweet potato fries and breaded fried okra, then later some blackeyed peas and greens for luck in the New Year. Also, staying home and away from the "amateurs".

budwhysir 4 years, 7 months ago

I will ring it in with a bell

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 7 months ago

meggers - the Rumpleminze in cocoa sounds delightful. Thank you for your suggestion, I will definitely give it a go!

T_O_B - I doubt you're all that old, but I understand the sentiment. The young crowd at SLR shows, especially NYE, gets to be a bit rowdy/obnoxious at times.

BMI 4 years, 7 months ago

The usual suspects, the little woman and the cat and this has given me a idea. http://video.yahoo.com/network/100000086?v=6681019&l=100000085

Richard Heckler 4 years, 7 months ago

Move YOUR Money for a better New Year

"Our money has been used to make the system worse -- what if we used it to make the system better?"

Meanwhile, America's Main Street community banks -- the vast majority of which avoided the banquet of greed and corruption that created the toxic economic swamp we are still fighting to get ourselves out of -- are struggling.

We talked about the outrage of big, bailed-out banks turning around and spending millions of dollars on lobbying to gut or kill financial reform -- including "too big to fail" legislation and regulation of the derivatives that played such a huge part in the meltdown. And as we contrasted that with the efforts of local banks to show that you can both be profitable and have a positive impact on the community, an idea took hold: why don't we take our money out of these big banks and put them into community banks? And what, we asked ourselves, would happen if lots of people around America decided to do the same thing?

The idea is simple: If enough people who have money in one of the big four banks move it into smaller, more local, more traditional community banks, then collectively we, the people, will have taken a big step toward re-rigging the financial system so it becomes again the productive, stable engine for growth it's meant to be. It's neither Left nor Right -- it's populism at its best. Consider it a withdrawal tax on the big banks for the negative service they provide by consistently ignoring the public interest. It's time for Americans to move their money out of these reckless behemoths. And you don't have to worry, there is zero risk: deposit insurance is just as good at small banks -- and unlike the big banks they don't provide the toxic dividend of derivatives trading in a heads-they-win, tails-we-lose fashion.

Think of the message it will send to Wall Street -- and to the White House. That we have had enough of the high-flying, no-limits-casino banking culture that continues to dominate Wall Street and Capitol Hill. That we won't wait on Washington to act, because we know that Washington has, in fact, been a part of the problem from the start. We simply can't count on Congress to fix things. We have to do it ourselves -- and the big banks are the core of the problem. We need to return to the stable, reliable, people-oriented approach of America's community banks. ...

Find a Bank

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 7 months ago

9 year old, no sitter, that all good, plus recovering from trip to garden city, baby is great, means night at home. Life is good.

lmn 4 years, 7 months ago

Sven: please just go away.

A brief review of your comment history reveals you as Sven.

LJWorld editors: I thought he was banned.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

I'll be watching the trade routes.

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 7 months ago

meggers - just had my first taste of the Rumpleminz. A +++

I have problems taking shots because of the taste, but this goes down smooth (a little too smooth). I think you're my new best friend! ;-) Thanks again.

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 7 months ago

Multi -

You could probably start a pool on whether or not I'll make it to midnight w/out passing out. I'm guessing not, because this stuff is too good and I have a low tolerance.

mom_of_three 4 years, 6 months ago

I am staying home and drinking, and eating, and drinking, and having fun with the family.

riverdrifter 4 years, 6 months ago

Still having a good laugh over Misery getting scuttled by Navy big time. Too Funny! Off to bed & tomorrow will throw the beagles into the briar patch & hope to bag a rabbit or 2. Fry'em up with sage, throw in mashed taters & gravy and a good bottle of marsala. Watch football. All good. Happy New Years to all.