Previous   Next

How do you plan to ring in the New Year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 31, 2009

Browse the archives

“I plan on ringing in the new year by hanging out with my old lady in Oakland, New Jersey.”

“(I’m) going down to Power and Light (District in Kansas City, Mo.).”

“I’m probably going to be lying in bed, watching some movies and drinking some wine.”

“I’m going to the Split Lip Rayfield show at the Bottleneck.”

Comments

riverdrifter 4 years, 3 months ago

Still having a good laugh over Misery getting scuttled by Navy big time. Too Funny! Off to bed & tomorrow will throw the beagles into the briar patch & hope to bag a rabbit or 2. Fry'em up with sage, throw in mashed taters & gravy and a good bottle of marsala. Watch football. All good. Happy New Years to all.

mom_of_three 4 years, 3 months ago

I am staying home and drinking, and eating, and drinking, and having fun with the family.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 3 months ago

"autie (Anonymous) says…

Girlfriend, the 19th century is soooo yesterday."

Marion writes:

autie, you dimwit; I am biosolids tired of you referring to me as "girlfriend" and you are so bleeding "STUPID" that you refer to 1957 as having been part of the 19th Century!

Where did you go to school and how many of your classes did you sleep through?

never mind

already asked and answered

Typical "Lawrencian" !

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

Girlfriend, the 19th century is soooo yesterday.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 3 months ago

Missing Guy Lombardo and the way it was when I was six years old...................................

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 3 months ago

Multi -

You could probably start a pool on whether or not I'll make it to midnight w/out passing out. I'm guessing not, because this stuff is too good and I have a low tolerance.

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 3 months ago

meggers - just had my first taste of the Rumpleminz. A +++

I have problems taking shots because of the taste, but this goes down smooth (a little too smooth). I think you're my new best friend! ;-) Thanks again.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

I'll be watching the trade routes.

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

beouf au pouvire with chevrettes le grand and pomme de terre.

lmn 4 years, 3 months ago

Sven: please just go away.

A brief review of your comment history reveals you as Sven.

LJWorld editors: I thought he was banned.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

9 year old, no sitter, that all good, plus recovering from trip to garden city, baby is great, means night at home. Life is good.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

Move YOUR Money for a better New Year

"Our money has been used to make the system worse -- what if we used it to make the system better?"

Meanwhile, America's Main Street community banks -- the vast majority of which avoided the banquet of greed and corruption that created the toxic economic swamp we are still fighting to get ourselves out of -- are struggling.

We talked about the outrage of big, bailed-out banks turning around and spending millions of dollars on lobbying to gut or kill financial reform -- including "too big to fail" legislation and regulation of the derivatives that played such a huge part in the meltdown. And as we contrasted that with the efforts of local banks to show that you can both be profitable and have a positive impact on the community, an idea took hold: why don't we take our money out of these big banks and put them into community banks? And what, we asked ourselves, would happen if lots of people around America decided to do the same thing?

The idea is simple: If enough people who have money in one of the big four banks move it into smaller, more local, more traditional community banks, then collectively we, the people, will have taken a big step toward re-rigging the financial system so it becomes again the productive, stable engine for growth it's meant to be. It's neither Left nor Right -- it's populism at its best. Consider it a withdrawal tax on the big banks for the negative service they provide by consistently ignoring the public interest. It's time for Americans to move their money out of these reckless behemoths. And you don't have to worry, there is zero risk: deposit insurance is just as good at small banks -- and unlike the big banks they don't provide the toxic dividend of derivatives trading in a heads-they-win, tails-we-lose fashion.

Think of the message it will send to Wall Street -- and to the White House. That we have had enough of the high-flying, no-limits-casino banking culture that continues to dominate Wall Street and Capitol Hill. That we won't wait on Washington to act, because we know that Washington has, in fact, been a part of the problem from the start. We simply can't count on Congress to fix things. We have to do it ourselves -- and the big banks are the core of the problem. We need to return to the stable, reliable, people-oriented approach of America's community banks. ...

Find a Bank

BMI 4 years, 3 months ago

The usual suspects, the little woman and the cat and this has given me a idea. http://video.yahoo.com/network/100000086?v=6681019&l=100000085

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

For you, Dylan, the musician: "You know news of you has come down the line Even before you came through the door. They say in your father's house there's many mansions Each one of them's got a fireproof floor. Snap out of it baby, people are jealous of you, They smile to your face, but behind your back they hiss What's a sweetheart like you doin' in a dump like this?" -Bob Dylan, "Sweetheart Like you"

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

I've decided I'll wait to reread the unadulterated car chase thread until late tonight. It will be even more funny with the late night sillies on board.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

beatle -

I used to see them a lot at Davey's Uptown in midtown KC. Oh, yeah, it gets rowdy.

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 3 months ago

meggers - the Rumpleminze in cocoa sounds delightful. Thank you for your suggestion, I will definitely give it a go!

T_O_B - I doubt you're all that old, but I understand the sentiment. The young crowd at SLR shows, especially NYE, gets to be a bit rowdy/obnoxious at times.

hellsbasement 4 years, 3 months ago

I am going to dress like Darwin and run around mass street blessing everyone.

budwhysir 4 years, 3 months ago

I will ring it in with a bell

dajudge 4 years, 3 months ago

Fixing a fried catfish dinner with sweet potato fries and breaded fried okra, then later some blackeyed peas and greens for luck in the New Year. Also, staying home and away from the "amateurs".

labmonkey 4 years, 3 months ago

Hopefully watching old-timey Twilight Zone episodes with my wife.

meggers 4 years, 3 months ago

Marcy,

If you want an alcoholic cold remedy that tastes better than Jaeger, try Rumpleminze. It's a peppermint schnapps (but much better than most) and especially good in cocoa. At 100 proof, it'll clear your lungs and keep you nice and toasty.

As for my NYE, I think the plan is a bottle of wine, pizza, and Dexter. I like to stay off the roads on 'amateur night'.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't ring in anything.

If I were younger, I'd be at the SLR/Mountain Sprout show at the Bottleneck. As it is, maybe I'll just listen to Kirk's last show at Liberty Hall or watch the Leftover Salmon live streaming NYE show from Boulder.

ms_canada 4 years, 3 months ago

Nothing special - gonna cook up some shrimp and rice with peppers. Gonna drink some Riesling and watch The Return of the King for the umpteenth time. All the best to you all in Kansas, Texas and Michigan from this old gal in the REALLY frozen north. Hope 2010 is a good year for you all. Blessings.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

I won't be. And since it looks like the ejection feature on the '2005' samsung dvd player looks to be breaking, and the situation with the new '2008' dvd player I bought last xmas and have never been able to figure out how to get to do more than turn on (not even a menu screen/work with my tv).....since I have no regular tv...I may just go back to bed and pull the covers over my head. Bah humbug indeed.

Informed (Anonymous) says…

Blowing up an old man!

And, fireworks! Lots and lots of fireworks!

Sorry you had to get that implant fella, but we're happy you still get to enjoy the fireworks! :Op

jonas_opines 4 years, 3 months ago

Vodka martinis. Bought myself a bottle of Grey Goose with my xmas cash.

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh, I'm jealous of those going to see Split Lip - this will be the first time I've missed one of their NYE shows, since I discovered them in '05. :-( Ya'll have fun watching those men throw it down!

Damn cold. I guess I have to be the good person and spare others from my nasty germiness. It'll be me, the cats, dogs and old man lazing on the couch like any other night. I think a midnight cocktail of Nyquil seems like an appropriate way to ring in the New Year. Heck, maybe I should spring for some Jaeger...it makes a decent cough syrup.

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

The understanding of course is that late night carrying on does not mesh well with next day early duck hunting. Traditionally, new years day can very good as there tends to be very few other hunters.

Mary Darst 4 years, 3 months ago

Wishing I was going to be at the Bottleneck. And, Doesn't Autie sound like fun? He has New Years Eve bah humbug.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

Mostly sober,sipping ever so lightly and no hangover.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

Alcohol, tobacco and firearms will all have roles to play (not all at once, tho) .

BABBOY 4 years, 3 months ago

Eating pizza. Watching blue ray movies. Listen to whatever fireworks go off. Start my smoker in the AM and watch football all day tomorrow.

Actually, looking forward to it.

smitty 4 years, 3 months ago

At home. Rule number one(1) never go out on the holidays when the drunks are given free reign.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 3 months ago

Roe, make an appointment with Krider Rehab, they can make it go away, they do wonders with bladder control problems for men and women. We will be watching a horror movie marathon.

CWGOKU 4 years, 3 months ago

Not much, I ahve never been into New Years Eve. Just another year gone by in my life. However, I would not mind going to Spacehog's house. Last year sounds like it was fun.

preebo 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm w/Dylan, the wife and I are going to the Split-Lip show and then to the Jazzhaus to catch Mystic Rhythm Review after midnight.

Bill Lee 4 years, 3 months ago

Kelley Hunt's benefit show for ECKAN at Liberty Hall if I can get my car started. It's been buried under snow for so long that the battery's dead.

grammaddy 4 years, 3 months ago

Like I have every year since becoming Grandma, at home with my favorite party animals. We pop corn and watch movies and finish the last of the Christmas candy and goodies.There are no obnoxious drunks and I have 5 people to kiss at midnight. To all my LJWorld friends out there, Have a happy and SAFE New Year's Eve and a blessed and prosperous New Year!!

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 3 months ago

Blowing up an old man!

And, fireworks! Lots and lots of fireworks!

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

Well, I don't have an old lady to hang out with, so I'll probably just drink myself into a stupor. Last year rocked. Condi Rice and Ann Coulter came over and pulled some hot moves on the stripper pole in my living room while I sat on the couch in my Speedo with my nitrous oxide mask on full blast. I looked like Dennis Hopper in "Blue Velvet", except for the Speedo. Then we headed to the backyard for some 3 way mud wrestling. Talk about fireworks! Happy New Year Everyone!!

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

I'll probably be up for the second or third time relieving myself and wondering 'if the doctor says my prostate is fine why do I have to do this so often?'

Nikki May 4 years, 3 months ago

That was asked today? I really don't like how they label these. If it was asked today, presumably before press, it would be pitch black out.