Previous   Next

What’s the most effective workout you’ve done?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 28, 2009

Browse the archives

“‘Body Jam’ and ‘Body Pump’ … it’s fun, and it’s a great workout.”

“Weightlifting, back in the day. I worked out a couple of times a day.”

“Weight training … good cardio, and it worked my core muscles.”

“Riding my bike over by the levee … it’s fun, and I like being outside.”

Related story

Comments

shadowbox66044 4 years, 8 months ago

Pooping out India Palace. It lit a fire under my a$$!

Bill Lee 4 years, 8 months ago

US Army Basic Training at Ft. Campbell, KY, in 1966.

Bob Harvey 4 years, 8 months ago

Mister Lee, you have that right. A-5-3 Ft. Dix, NJ, September 1967. I was in the best shape of my life.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

That would be the "working at a sawmill cardio blast". Spend all day rolling logs into a Cambio machine & see how much sweat you'll work up.

RonBurgandy 4 years, 8 months ago

Competitive swimming. Since I've stopped that, it's been all downhill.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

zumba screwed my knee up for over 2 months. its just now getting back to where i don't walk w/ a slight limp.

i prefer the recumbant (stationary) bike, the arctrainer, walking, and a variety of weight machines. i also like swimming but don't do it very often.

67camille 4 years, 8 months ago

Working out with Wayne Jackson - see the article! It's tough but so worth it!

Raymond Munoz 4 years, 8 months ago

This was my Christmas Day workout...

Dumbbell Chest Press 5 sets of 12x10x8x6x12 Pushups 1 set of 12 Dumbbell Rows 5 sets of 12x10x8x6x12 One Arm Dumbbell Row 1 set of 12 Dumbbell Shoulder Press 5 sets of 12x10x8x6x12 Dumbbell Lateral Flyes 1 set of 12 Preacher Curls 5 sets of 12x10x8x6x12 Alternating Dumbbell Curls 1 set of 12 Triceps Dips 5 sets of 12x10x8x6x12 Triceps Kickbacks 1 set of 12

Good stuff! Lifting weights 3 times a week and cardio 3 times a week has helped me lose 65 pounds since May!

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

^^^ wow, smitty! that would've been one helluva workout!

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

Laughing after hearing all the Republicans crying about the vote in the Senate this weekend. My ribs are still sore...

leedavid 4 years, 8 months ago

Ricky, sound like you might be overweight and out of shape if laughing is the most effective workout you have had. Hopefully the healthcare bill can help you if passed.

Two a day workouts with LSU football in the summer heat was my most effective workout.

Shockem211 4 years, 8 months ago

Wow! Seeing as this was asked downtown today, it would appear some really warm weather blew in downtown and melted all that snow we had!

Raymond Munoz 4 years, 8 months ago

haha thanks Prospector... and no, I did not weigh 165 when I started! More like 285! I gotta thank Kendall Bradley at LAC for being a great trainer... he got me started and on the right track!

Raymond Munoz 4 years, 8 months ago

And one of my big nutrition secrets has been... get this... Jimmy Johns! Their Pepe with no mayo and 2x turkey added has just the right balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrates!

a_flock_of_jayhawks 4 years, 8 months ago

USMC boot camp. Ooooh Rah! Added almost 40 lbs. of muscle in 13 weeks. Then, 4 years of physical training (PT), 3 mile runs, sit ups and pull ups 3 days a week + racketball and trips to the gym on off days. Next best workout...shoveling the driveway!

xensen 4 years, 8 months ago

loving myself and others; yoga.

trinity 4 years, 8 months ago

that old early 80's tv show-"20 Minute Workout"...seriously! did that every single day of the week, back in my stay at home mom/eventually work evening shift days and lost a monumental amount of weight, got totally toned. lol-that was also when i was in my early 20's! i don't think i could take the grind of that workout, now! but it was a good one.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

trinity, i so remember 20 minute workout and weird thing is, i was just thinking about that like a couple of days ago. i also had thought of joanie greggains for the first time in decades as well.

BMI 4 years, 8 months ago

Sweeping peanuts shells at Ichabod's after the fire captain had a conniption.

bevy 4 years, 8 months ago

I would have to say Coach Bogart's stair laps during volleyball practice my senior year of high school. We had a small gym - barely room to walk around the basketball court. So we ran across the short side, up the bleachers, across, down across the short side at the other end, up the bleachers on the other side, back to where we started. About 25 times if I recall.

Can't say I've done anything since then that even came close! But boy was I in some kick butt shape back then!

parrothead8 4 years, 8 months ago

Competitive swimming. I only did it for a year, but man, I was in the best shape of my life.

denak 4 years, 8 months ago

"....US Army Basic Training at Ft. Campbell, KY, in 1966.." ".....A-5-3 Ft. Dix, NJ, September 1967....."

Army Basic Training a workout????? Yeah right, should have tried the Marines if you wanted a real challenge!!!!

Dena:)

denak 4 years, 8 months ago

On a more serious note, swimming for a hour 3 times a week. Best workout....and therapy...out there.

Dena:)

oncoRN_638 4 years, 8 months ago

!hatever my best friend is doing, she makes me feel guilty in a pretty effective way for not working out. We joined Body Boutique together which has helped my motivation immensely!

9070811 4 years, 8 months ago

Well I've heard sex can burn quite a large amount of calories.

commuter 4 years, 8 months ago

Scrolling past Merrill's countless cut and paste threads- Man what a work out they seem to go on forever.

Seriously- high school wrestling practices are the best workout I have ever had. Those three hours practices seemed as long as Merrill's posts.

denak 4 years, 8 months ago

"....Well I've heard sex can burn quite a large amount of calories...."

In case anyone is curious:

300 calories per hour. And it is one of the only excercises that activate all of the body's muscle groups.

So enjoy!!!!!