Previous   Next

What party music do you like for the holidays?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 21, 2009

Browse the archives

“I like the traditional, like Bing Crosby.”

“I like the traditional, fast-paced ‘Jingle Bells.’”

“I like to listen to Widespread Panic on the holidays.”

“Classic Christmas carols.”

Related story

Comments

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 4 months ago

kbean, i did mention a charlie brown christmas.

spacehog, dude, you have me LOL w/ almost every one of your posts.

oh and btw, i worked my nice little retail gig last night and it is christina aguilera singing the christmas songs ("chestnuts roasting..."). it is the gayest, most obnoxious version of that song E-V-E-R.

Kevin Enos 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm surprised that noone mentioned Vince Giraldi's soundtrack to "A Charlie Brown Christmas". That's one of my all-time favorites. Gregorian chants can also be nice in small doses. Not really party music but good for puttin' me in the Xmas mood. From the dark ages to jazz - that's a pretty wide range.

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

On the nosey! That McCartney song has to be the worst Christmas song, possibly one of the worst anytime songs ever recorded. Was he playing a keytar on that? And the quick echo effect. So wrong. And by the way, Cute Beatle, that shoe polish you put in your hair now isn't working. It'll never erase the memory of my babysitter playing "Hey Jude" over and over and over on the piano in 1970.

H_Lecter 4 years, 4 months ago

With the increased suicide rates during the holiday season, do you really feel that music is appropriate at all?

Deja Coffin 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm going to go with the barking dogs version of Jingle Bells.......on repeat!!!

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 4 months ago

i would take bizarre over that wings crap anyday... i'm glad someone else knows what i'm talking about.

prince had a great christmas song he recorded in the early-mid 80s called another lonely christmas, bob. you should listen to it. you might dig it. :)

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 4 months ago

"parrot, then you share my pain… i tell you what, if i ever meet paul mccartney i'm gonna tell him that i effing HATE that “simply having a wonderful christmas time” song he made… those cheesy casio-esque synths. BLAH. i'm not a mccartney fan as it is but i just want to b*tch slap him everytime i hear that!" Mel

That song makes me want to stick rusty nails in my ear.

The Dylan christmas song video is quite bizarre. I enjoyed it.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 4 months ago

spacehog, i remember that and it was actually pretty good. david bowie has a very nice voice when he wants to.

parrot, then you share my pain... i tell you what, if i ever meet paul mccartney i'm gonna tell him that i effing HATE that "simply having a wonderful christmas time" song he made... those cheesy casio-esque synths. BLAH. i'm not a mccartney fan as it is but i just want to b*tch slap him everytime i hear that!

oh, and we won't get into the anne murray christmas songs. you could eat a huge turkey sandwich w/ 3 full glasses of warm milk and the sleep inducing effect would be nothing compared to that chick's voice.

and christina aguillera has an absolutely abominable version of a classic christmas song-- i can't even remember which one it is-- but it has this really flaming techno-house beat to it. that combined w/ her shrieking make it undigestable.

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

David Bowie and Bing Crosby doing "Little Drummer Buy". That was cool.

labmonkey 4 years, 4 months ago

Snap-

You have a link? Might be interesting.

parrothead8 4 years, 4 months ago

Every Christmas for the last five years, I'm SO glad I left the retail business. That piped in Xmas music for 40-50 hours a week, hearing the same songs at least 3-4 times a day...argh.

I'll listen to anything good for Christmas, and it doesn't have to be Xmas music. A few years ago, I came across a recording of Ave Maria sung by Chris Cornell, former lead singer for Soundgarden. It's not Xmas music, persay, but man is it beautiful. Cornell has the pipes to sing anything.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 4 months ago

i work at kmart in addition to my daytime clerical job and i am about ready to choke out that damn piped in christmas music.

my fav christmas albums are boys 2 men christmas, charlie brown christmas (love that vince guiraldi!) and wynton marsalis' crescent city christmas.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

Gregorian chants re-imaged as thrash metal.

OonlyBonly 4 years, 4 months ago

"Hot metal and Methedrine" The Sisters of Mercy

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

Just as long as it is not any of that hippity-hoppity shoot a gun in church music, oh, and none of that make me dry hump music either, or that acid tripping fusion jazz crap, or the whining country stuff. But otherwise than that, I'm down with it.

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

Prospector, I'm fixin to gear up as soon as the ice melts off the edge. The boys have been pounding them in the marsh...and it should be quite on a Monday.

prospector 4 years, 4 months ago

The Barking Jingle Bells always warms me up.

When did the Merc move to Mass. St.?

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

Beethoven...either that or Black Oak Arkansas.

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

Bob Dylan is the lead singer, and while he's no Josh Grobin, his voice is very unique. He sounds like he's vomiting and/or dying. Beautiful, just beautiful.

flux 4 years, 4 months ago

DOKKEN CHRISTMAS LIVE IN JAPAN

Donnuts 4 years, 4 months ago

Any Christmas Carols.

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas...."

hitme 4 years, 4 months ago

If Bob Dylan could just get a new lead singer, then perhaps I might take a listen. But I can't get past that awful, straight through the nose, tone deaf, voice. Other than that, he's fine.

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

Bob Dylan just recorded a wonderful Christmas album. All the great traditional stuff. It's called Christmas In The Heart. And he's a Jew, so come on people, let's get in the spirit!

coolmom 4 years, 4 months ago

pretty much any christmas themed music.