Previous   Next

What party music do you like for the holidays?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 21, 2009

Browse the archives

“I like the traditional, like Bing Crosby.”

“I like the traditional, fast-paced ‘Jingle Bells.’”

“I like to listen to Widespread Panic on the holidays.”

“Classic Christmas carols.”

Related story

Comments

coolmom 5 years ago

pretty much any christmas themed music.

flux 5 years ago

DOKKEN CHRISTMAS LIVE IN JAPAN

John Hamm 5 years ago

"Hot metal and Methedrine" The Sisters of Mercy

Flap Doodle 5 years ago

Gregorian chants re-imaged as thrash metal.

Mel Briscoe 5 years ago

i work at kmart in addition to my daytime clerical job and i am about ready to choke out that damn piped in christmas music.

my fav christmas albums are boys 2 men christmas, charlie brown christmas (love that vince guiraldi!) and wynton marsalis' crescent city christmas.

parrothead8 5 years ago

Every Christmas for the last five years, I'm SO glad I left the retail business. That piped in Xmas music for 40-50 hours a week, hearing the same songs at least 3-4 times a day...argh.

I'll listen to anything good for Christmas, and it doesn't have to be Xmas music. A few years ago, I came across a recording of Ave Maria sung by Chris Cornell, former lead singer for Soundgarden. It's not Xmas music, persay, but man is it beautiful. Cornell has the pipes to sing anything.

labmonkey 5 years ago

Snap-

You have a link? Might be interesting.

Mel Briscoe 5 years ago

spacehog, i remember that and it was actually pretty good. david bowie has a very nice voice when he wants to.

parrot, then you share my pain... i tell you what, if i ever meet paul mccartney i'm gonna tell him that i effing HATE that "simply having a wonderful christmas time" song he made... those cheesy casio-esque synths. BLAH. i'm not a mccartney fan as it is but i just want to b*tch slap him everytime i hear that!

oh, and we won't get into the anne murray christmas songs. you could eat a huge turkey sandwich w/ 3 full glasses of warm milk and the sleep inducing effect would be nothing compared to that chick's voice.

and christina aguillera has an absolutely abominable version of a classic christmas song-- i can't even remember which one it is-- but it has this really flaming techno-house beat to it. that combined w/ her shrieking make it undigestable.

Mel Briscoe 5 years ago

i would take bizarre over that wings crap anyday... i'm glad someone else knows what i'm talking about.

prince had a great christmas song he recorded in the early-mid 80s called another lonely christmas, bob. you should listen to it. you might dig it. :)

Deja Coffin 5 years ago

I'm going to go with the barking dogs version of Jingle Bells.......on repeat!!!

H_Lecter 5 years ago

With the increased suicide rates during the holiday season, do you really feel that music is appropriate at all?

Kevin Enos 5 years ago

I'm surprised that noone mentioned Vince Giraldi's soundtrack to "A Charlie Brown Christmas". That's one of my all-time favorites. Gregorian chants can also be nice in small doses. Not really party music but good for puttin' me in the Xmas mood. From the dark ages to jazz - that's a pretty wide range.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 12 months ago

kbean, i did mention a charlie brown christmas.

spacehog, dude, you have me LOL w/ almost every one of your posts.

oh and btw, i worked my nice little retail gig last night and it is christina aguilera singing the christmas songs ("chestnuts roasting..."). it is the gayest, most obnoxious version of that song E-V-E-R.