Previous   Next

Have you ever been a collector of anything?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. 6th St. on December 20, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, Edgar R. Burroughs, all of his ‘Tarzan’ stuff … and more recently, or since the ’60s, Star Trek stuff.”

“Yes, I collect Christmas ornaments. I am very addicted to them.”

“Video games, action or strategy-type games.”

“I’m a collector of teapots. I got it from my grandma.”

Comments

Bob Kraxner 4 years, 3 months ago

toddtrip 4 years, 3 months ago

i stopped collecting electric toasters at 24.

coolmom 4 years, 4 months ago

apparently i collect kids...Jayhawk stuff, plants, ammo and the guns to go with them and Bob seger things.

Erin Graham 4 years, 4 months ago

Live long and prosper, Eric Dawson! I collected Star Trek stuff from about 4th grade (TNG was wrapping up) through high school (the voyager era). .....could also explain the unmerciful tauntings by peers :o)

Randall Barnes 4 years, 4 months ago

OVER 500 SHOT GLASSES MOST OF THEM OLD. PRICED SOME ON EBAY WOW DIDNT KNOW THEY WERE WORTH SOOOOOOO MUCH.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

A shroud maybe... But I am listing it on ebay as Bjorn Borg, not Jesus.

compmd 4 years, 4 months ago

Antique clocks, old computers, antique radios, aviation/space stuff.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 4 months ago

I have all of the Aubrey/Maturin books, and some books about the rigging and such of sailing ships. I will be buying all of the Twilight books and movies. I have all the Chuckie movies.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

Some people say my potato chip looks like Jesus. But I am sure that Jesus would never be caught dead in a headband.

porch_person 4 years, 4 months ago

Baseball, football, hockey, basketball cards. Now the property of my son.

gilly 4 years, 4 months ago

I have a desultory collection of books by Paul Gallico: The Poseidon Adventure, Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris, The Abandoned (also called Jenny). I'd love to get a copy of The Hand of Mary Constable, but I haven't looked for it yet. I also have all of the Horatio Hornblower books (C.S. Forster).

These are all paperbacks and not worth any money, I'm sure.

I also collect blue glass--cobalt or aquamarine, as long as it's affordable (i.e., cheap) and I think it looks pretty. I'd love to collect Mason's blue and white ironstone, but it's too pricy, so I have to content myself with broken teacup of the real thing. I broke it.

nbnozzy 4 years, 4 months ago

Starlight (Anonymous) says…

I've got every Heavy Metal magazine, thirty three years worth now. Many were hot off the press at Color Press.

My first job out of high school was at Kansas Color Press working in the press room. I don't remember any heavy metal magazines. Can you remind me of the titles?

I do remember printing fraternal, cooking, and humor mags along with TV Guide. But it's been 25 years since they closed and I have forgotten a lot of the title names. National Lampoon was my favorite.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

Early editions of Thorne Smith novels, hats, Randall knives.

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

Bob Dylan albums, photos, CD's, anything Bob. And concert ticket stubs. I still have the ticket from my first concert: Cheap Trick at Allen Fieldhouse 1980.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 4 months ago

Unintentionally pilots.

Novels from 1880-1910- For Ladies and Young women.

and some awesome memories...

infidel 4 years, 4 months ago

Green pictures of dead presidents. I hear they are popular these days.

Tom Hilger 4 years, 4 months ago

I have over 350 items shaped like Light Bulbs.

Thing 4 years, 4 months ago

Somehow, I suspect that Geek has quite a collection, based on his moronic postings here!

Mary_Ann_Linn 4 years, 4 months ago

I have a huge collection of space stuff. Maybe I can negotiate a trade.

Starlight 4 years, 4 months ago

Mary Darst 4 years, 4 months ago

I use to collect antique stuff. You know when that was the trend. I also collected cats. Not the real kind. I try to collect some Jayhawk Memoribilia. Now, when I move to my new house, I just looked at each object and said to myself "do I want to have to dust this?" This is how I decided what to keep and what to donte to the church Treasure Store. Got rid of quite a lot. I kept those things that were really dear to my heart. Glad I don't have all that dusting to do.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

I have a potato chip that looks just like Bjorn Borg.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 4 months ago

I used to collect business cards from police officers whenever they would arrest, cite or just make negative contact.

Kept 'em in a little photo album. They loved it! "Lemme see. Oh, you have Smith! And McIlvain!!Haha"

Chris Ogle 4 years, 4 months ago

I am an avid collector of stuff that I can't find.

classclown 4 years, 4 months ago

Does being a pack rat count as being a collector?

purplesage 4 years, 4 months ago

Besides dust?

I've tried to collect money, but it is hard to do. Somebody always wants what I have. I do save ticket stubs from things I do with kids and grandkids.

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

I still have most all of my hunting/fishing licenses and duck stamps since 1971,

AnnaUndercover 4 years, 4 months ago

NASA mission memorabilia. I don't have much, but when I come across old mission patches and things like that, I snap them up.

Patrick Freeland 4 years, 4 months ago

I've got a nice collection of vinyl records, cassette tapes, and CDs from Nine Inch Nails.

Donnuts 4 years, 4 months ago

Dr. Seuss books, Baseball cards

notajayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Stray women. If they follow me home I tend to keep them.

Pywacket 4 years, 4 months ago

Books, vases, seashells.

Love the Shel Silverstein poem, Hector the Collector.