Previous   Next

Do you think the Gridiron Club will be completed by the start of next football season?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 W. Clinton Parkway on December 19, 2009

Browse the archives

“No, I believe time would be a major issue and getting the seats sold is going to be tough too.”

“I think it’s questionable, but I hope to see it come through.”

“I believe so, I hope so.”

“No, I don’t, because it hasn’t started and it’s almost the end of this football season.”

Comments

parrothead8 4 years, 3 months ago

spacehog (Anonymous) says… That's absurd! If KU has all this money for crap like this, how about lowering tuition.

KU does not have the money for this. KUAC, a separate entity, might raise the money in time, but at this point I think that's doubtful.

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

toddtrip 4 years, 3 months ago

LJW story November 28th:

Then there’s the controversy swirling around Coach Mark Mangino based on reports of verbal abuse of his players. If Mangino survives at KU, there are real questions about the impact the current flap will have on his ability to recruit top athletes. If Mangino leaves KU, it’s highly unlikely that a top-notch coach could be recruited quickly enough to have any impact on the tight deadline athletic department officials face for making a decision on whether to go ahead with plans to have the new 3,000-seat Gridiron Club completed by the start of next season.

Kansas Athletics needs donations totaling at least $34 million to move forward on the project. If the Gridiron Club is to be ready by next fall, athletics officials will have to decide by the end of this year whether to move ahead with construction. They say they remain confident they can meet that goal, but time obviously is growing short.

The Gridiron Club clearly isn’t for everyone. Membership in the club costs from $25,000 per seat for five years up to $105,000 per seat for 30 years. One local alumnus did the math and figured out that even buying in at the lowest level, he would be paying about $1,000 per game for the membership, which includes a seat, parking and food.

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

The Oread Hotel will fail, regardless. Rush Limbaugh hopes it fails.

toddtrip 4 years, 3 months ago

YES it will open -- It has to open for the start of football otherwise the new Oread Hotel will fail financially.

hitme 4 years, 3 months ago

Gridiron Haiku:

Open the window Lew Perkins perfect swan dive The fans are happy

unelectable 4 years, 3 months ago

let's see.... will a major addition to the stadium be designed, approved, contracted, the site prepared, the thing built, inspected, furnished and ready for fans before the football season starts in 8 months?!?
um... NO.

bigmike 4 years, 3 months ago

Go ahead and build it! Then when it sets empty for a couple years we will have a reason to put a "For Sale" sign in Lew's yard!!!

cheeseburger 4 years, 3 months ago

I hope not, if this is to be another jewel in King Lou's crown!

tanaumaga 4 years, 3 months ago

after a winning season, maybe....this year..NO.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

What's the rush?

Are Gridiron clubs inspirational?

Pywacket 4 years, 4 months ago

Asked on December 19? Really? I see daylight behind the subjects. It just became December 19 (in this time zone) less than an hour ago. Unless my eyesight is fading out, it is quite dark out. Let's do the time warp?

PS~ I could not care less about the Gridiron Club. Wonder how small a minority I'm a part of.