Previous   Next

Do you think state-owned casinos are a good idea?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 18, 2009

Browse the archives

“Absolutely not. I don’t think the state needs to get into that. We don’t need the gambling.”

“I think it’s a very bad idea. I’ve seen some communities in Colorado that have started casinos and gambling, and the whole character has changed.”

“Sure, why not? People are going to gamble anyway.”

“Yes, why not? I’m newly 21 and I experienced my first (casino) last month.”

Comments

Bob Kraxner 4 years, 3 months ago

Casinos should be banned alltogether, they are the worst thing to happen to this country since you all elected Ronald Reagan president.

Succotash 4 years, 4 months ago

First let me say that casinos are taxes for people bad at math. I find it ironic that casinos will add to the education budget of kansas then.

@pace - I am all about letting the state compete against Indian Casinos. It is only a strange fluke of the law that lets the Indian casinos exist anyway, plus little to none of the money ends up in the states coffers and we still have to pay for the problems they generate. On a different note I do agree that state ran is not the best way to go about it. It should probably be a private company and just have the profits taxed. Still they worked it the way they wanted to do it. More hassle then I would have wanted though.

Catzilla 4 years, 4 months ago

For such a REPUBLICAN state it seems like a very SOCIALIST idea.

hitme 4 years, 4 months ago

I'd like to see a combination coal plant/casino/super Walmart close to town.

JackRipper 4 years, 4 months ago

When the state is reduced to taking advantage of those who gamble, they won't be the type who play the Rivera, it is indeed quite pathetic and not a good sign for things to come in Kansas.

LoveThsLife 4 years, 4 months ago

whoops I meant casinos..not casino's

LoveThsLife 4 years, 4 months ago

No, I think state run casino's are a horrible idea.

BigDog 4 years, 4 months ago

The delay is because of proposals for the casinos needing to be approved and the size of the investment required for the Kansas City and Wichita area casinos.

The organizations have to be developing a destination casino for those areas (was not required in Dodge City), which among other things requires a hotel to also be built as part of it. The project in Dodge City only required a $50 million investment, the others require at least $200 million.

pace 4 years, 4 months ago

I do not think the government should go into competition with existing casinos. Some of the same guys pushing this were the ones fighting the tribes on their rights. They lost. There are casinos in Kansas and the government should not consider that a service they need to provide. The government is not there to compete with business, they are to provide services. No way a casino is a service. But they are already providing the service of lottery tickets. What might really make money is a bisexual prostitution house. As long as they want to go into business, they should go into the oldest one.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 4 months ago

Succotash, do you mean the one that's going to be near the Legends and Kansas Speedway? I'm hoping they'll stop delaying that one also so my husband can hopefully get some overtime!!!

macon47 4 years, 4 months ago

i dont mind as long as it has a decent return but like so many govt run busiensses it will probably cost the taxpayer

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

"Someone is definately making money, of the poor ignorance of others" - charliejohnson

Wow! Thats the same exact thing I thought on Nov. 5th, 2008.

Succotash 4 years, 4 months ago

Yeah I heard about that. I believe though that the Dodge City is only a fraction expected to bring in a fraction of what the K.C. area one and the Wichita one are expected to bring in. So I wonder why they are waiting on the other two.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 4 months ago

Succotash, they just built the casino in Dodge City and I think this weekend was the grand opening.... my husband's boss was there for the ribbon cutting.

Mary Darst 4 years, 4 months ago

Maybe the state can make some extra money, but have you ever looked around at those casinos to see who is losing their money. We have one 5 min from us in Oklahoma. Match play night is just sad. A lot of people have lost everything from gambling. The banks are dealing with many overdrafts and people drawing of their savings. I don't mind helping the needy, but when I see them all down there at the first of the month, hoping to make a fortune out of all the money they just got....that, is really a shame. Someone is definately making money, of the poor ignorance of others.

BigDog 4 years, 4 months ago

The problem with the casinos is Nevada is they are reliant upon tourists/conventions from out of state. With the economy in the toilet along with the bashing the large companies took for holding conventions there .... their casinos are struggling. When the tourist industry struggles places like Las Vegas and Orlando take a huge hits financially.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

When paririe squid are outlawed, only outlaws will have prairie squid.

CWGOKU 4 years, 4 months ago

Start a sentence "State run, Federal run, Government run" and I will cringe and say no everytime because they will just screw it up. Gambling in Kansas? Sure , why not. I am with T_O_B, why lose the money to Missouri. Contract it out to the private sector and rake in the profits contractualy.

Succotash 4 years, 4 months ago

At the moment Kansas gets none of the benefits of gambling and all of the same problems from it. With the Indian casino's north of Topeka, the riverboats on the Missouri side of Kansas City and the Oklahoma casinos; Kansas losses the revenue and the larger tax basis. Yet Kansas gets all of the problems of gambling addiction and increased crime. So having the Kansas casinos makes sense.

My surprise is that the casinos are taking this long to start building. With the shortfalls of the Kansas budget one would think that they would be in a hurry to get the casinos built. All of those millions being spent in construction would create a nice chunk of tax revenue. Then once the casinos are built the revenue from them would help relieve the budget crunch. So my question isn't "do you think Kansas should have casinos? But why aren't the casinos being built already?"

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

Definitely legalize drugs first. At least pot. It is scientifically impossible to O.D. on pot. The down side would be it would be regulated, meaning more money for a weaker product. I think the whole war on drugs is based on the government's anger at people making tons of money without paying taxes. And charging people for not having a tax stamp? Come on! Okay, I'll stop by the Dept. of Revenue on Monday and tell them I need a tax stamp so I can sell weed out of my basement. Yep!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

Snap,

Can you the fathom the ramifications if even one un-debeaked prairie squid gets into a den of iniquity such as those proposed?

Holy Sodom... The very thought sends me into a paroxysm of tears.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 4 months ago

Oh, hell yes. I don't even gamble. Were losing too much money to Mizzery, Red Dirt Hell, and Colorado. If Kansans want to piss away their money, at least let them do it in their own state.

BABBOY 4 years, 4 months ago

No issue with it.

Legalize drugs nationwide and then there is no budget issues at all. U could then fund education and health care for the liberals and still give the moderates and conservatives the tax breaks they want................

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

If they only allow celphapods in, go for it.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm not too concerned about the casino because I know that the profits the Kansas lottery receives can only benefit my husband..... but I am so glad he didn't take that offer to work in Dodge City!

thewayitis 4 years, 4 months ago

The government should not operate any sort of enterprise it is a bad idea. The government cannot operate anything fiscally, especially themselves. They would make more by taxing them at 50% and be done with it.

Aileen Dingus 4 years, 4 months ago

Absolutely not.

People who think that casinos will bring revenue to the state need to take a look at the budgets of Clark County (Las Vegas), Washoe County (Reno) and Douglas County (Carson City) Nevada. Gambling has done nothing but bring in transient jobs. Schools in many parts of the state are cut back to 4 days a week to save money, special events (including graduation ceremonies) are ditched to save money, tax-funded organizations such as police, fire, paramedics, road maintenance and prisons are having their budgets slashed to the point of having to close.

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas should be reworded- what money that's lost in casinos in Vegas stays in casinos in Vegas. Don't expect it to get out to the state via taxes or anything else.

Casinos are not the answer for Kansas' budget woes.

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

Sure, why not? As my old buddy P. T. said, "Theres a sucker born every minute".

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

I have a gambling problem, along with all my various addictions. I once stole my uncles' truck and lost it at that Casino up by Holton. Ever notice there are no clocks or windows in Casinos? Man, they're 24-7. They don't want you to know what time it is. Once I went in one and came out 4 days later. Must've been the free drinks. On the upside, they let you smoke in there.

shadowbox66044 4 years, 4 months ago

Not only do I agree, once again, but I would say put them by the borders of MO. NE. OK. and CO. Let's get some outside cash to circulate within our state. And, make a rule saying that you have to be a Kansas resident to work in a Kansas state run casino. Easy money!

grammaddy 4 years, 4 months ago

If it will bring the state revenues and keep them out of my pocket by not raising taxes, I say go for it. Dedicate those revenues to education since it's having such a hard time. Or maintaining our infrastructure.

shadowbox66044 4 years, 4 months ago

Great idea! Just don't do it in Lawrence :)