Previous   Next

Have you ever chopped down your own Christmas tree?

Asked at Checkers Food Store, 23rd and Louisiana streets on December 10, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, about 15 years ago … we went out in the woods and found a tree.”

“Yes, we used to go all the time, but my family ganged up on me to go get a fake one … I hate it.”

“Yes, when I was a little kid.”

“Years ago, 20 years at least. We got an artificial one now, it’s easier.”

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years ago

Ah yes, many, many times... "Kill a tree for Jesus" we call it...

Bill Lee 5 years ago

The only time I ever did we were too tired to take it into the house so left it in the backyard, where it remained until after Christmas. We took it to the curb without ever having put it up in the house. Now I have an artificial tree that I'm still decorating. I hope to finish before Christmas.

jonas_opines 5 years ago

Sure did! Neighbors were pissed, too.

grammaddy 5 years ago

Nope, we use an artificial one. I think it's a shame that so many trees have to give their lives for someone to decorate them and then throw them out to the curb after a few weeks.

RonBurgandy 5 years ago

Nope. We've always had an artificial tree in our house. It does look pretty real though. Real trees seem like too much of a pain in the arse for me.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

When I was growing up no one had even heard of an artificial tree. We went out into our woods, yes we owned them, and choose a tree. The kids ran around and the adults argued over the merits of various trees. If I remember correctly, after Christmas the tree became firewood.

RoeDapple 5 years ago

"Thing (Anonymous) says…

We are going to a tree farm outside of Leavenworth and cut one."

I did that this morning and never left the house...

jonas_opines 5 years ago

"Dang Jonas, you beat me to it."

Early bird gets teh lolz. >B^)>

Randall Barnes 5 years ago

DANGIT I NEED SOME MORE EMPTY BEER CANS AND BEER BOTTLE TOPS SO I CAN FINISH MY TREE....YES A REAL TREE THINK IT MIGHT BE A CEDAR.

Mixolydian 5 years ago

Now that the statute of limitations has run......Yes.

Grew up with the silver aluminum tree and the rotating lights at the base. Gag, It's real every year now.

The worst part about real trees is doing the drive of shame in February, taking the tree (finally) to the dump. All the dead needles flying back on cars behind me. Embarassing. This year will be different. Really.

beawolf 5 years ago

notajayhawk 5 years ago

consumer1 (Anonymous) says…

"I like to cut down my artificial tree, of course I have to buy a new one each year."

Or settle for a shorter tree.

You also save by not replacing the burned out lights as the tree shrinks.

autie (Anonymous) says…

"Prospector, is it really true if one puts beer in the little base thing, it will keep the tree longer, healthier, and happier?"

Don't know about the longer or healthier, but ...

George_Braziller 5 years ago

Every year at Thanksgiving we would visit my grandparents in Wyoming. We'd get a permit, trek out into the forest, cut a tree, strap it onto the top of the car, and drive the 600 miles back home. Must have been hell on the gas mileage.

KansasPerson 5 years ago

Multi, that reminds me, there's a Christmas-tree stand for sale (I saw it a few years ago at Strawberry Hill Farm) called the "Marriage Saver" .....

For those concerned about the environment, here's a good article.... http://www.livescience.com/environment/091210-christmas-tree-green.html

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

when I was a kid, we had (still have) 5 acres, at the top you can see the monterey bay. when I was just becoming a teen, we planted dozens of various pines. come a Christmas, we'd chop one down, haul it into the house, no gas guzzling 4-wheeled conveyance involved. since we'd planted it, it was precious.

every christmas I want a real tree for the scent and the feel.
you get the smell of real Christmas tree, sweet potato pies baking, wow, now that's Christmas!

I think artificial trees were likely invented by Marx as a communist conspiracy.

aboard the WWII german U-boats, when they embarked on a mission crossing Christmas on the calendar, they'd have several small trees put aboard. at christmas eve, they'd decorate the inside of the submarine. the largest was in the controlroom and it did have lights often.

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

sometimes we were successful in replanting our Christmas trees.

KansasPerson 5 years ago

Multi,

Interesting! The one in the video is not the one I have. I have one like this: http://www.kansasagritourism.org/newsltr/newsletter_12_07.htm#stand Actually that's not a good picture of it at all. I don't usually have all those extra branches at the bottom! The picture makes it look like you have to have those in there for stabilization or something. But you don't. This stand has a metal base that stands with its center suspended over a (separate) water-bucket. The interior of the center, where the tree sits, is outfitted with some sort of arrangement of spikes (gentle ones; you won't impale yourself) that help keep the tree stable while you arrange the rest of the apparatus. It's not easy to describe, but it's not hard to do. I will say, though, that unlike the video you showed, this one is not really easy for just one person, depending on the height of your tree. However, it is very easy for two people and it's miles away ahead of the old red-and-green metal stands that we used to use!

Strawberry Hill (on west 40) has a few of the Cedar Valley tree stands left. I think I also saw one on craigslist.