Previous   Next

How can this area better promote its Freedom’s Frontier heritage?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 9, 2009

Browse the archives

“More brass plaques at historic sites that tell the story.”

“It needs to start with education at the elementary school level.”

“By having more sites of interest related to it - museums, historic battlefields.”

“By performing more events, maybe with documentaries or musicians, that would encourage people to have more knowledge of the area.”

Comments

Bob-RJ Burkhart 4 years, 3 months ago

Freedom's Frontier blends authentic multicultural community stories that transcend the "Bleeding Kansas" lingering legacy of conflict and conquest! This seems to be characterized by intolerance for those folks who have alternative perspectives about our shared sense of place.

Freedom's Frontier USNPS Master Plan for education and interpretation empowers our reframing future thought leadership sequels to Lewis and Clark's explorations as people. places and changes over time with a sustainable Affirmation of INTERdependence ...

KVHAdventuring's Wakarusa Wetland Learners (EarthSea-Keepers) programs provide an adaptive outdoor recreation model that confronts "compartmented complacency" & "childhood obesity" ... http://minnesotafuturist.pbworks.com/TaosTrail-StoryChasers-mapXchange

trollkiller 4 years, 4 months ago

What did people do before Google?

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

Very true, MrShades. That's how I say it. Or other pronunciations that would get me banned.

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

and R_I...we didn't even get a dusting of snow. Just colder than it should be...so cold I got my red leg stockings out today. In case Mr. Lane gives us the call.

MrShades 4 years, 4 months ago

-hog, Actualy, it is the missourians that say Mizzourah; Real Kansans say "Misery"

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

and them border ruffians sob's were all drunk and rowdy, rolled up on Ft. Scott and had at it. Kind a hard to say no with a .56 caliber pointed at your brainpan.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

6000 votes in a territory with only 1500 registered voters? Only one explanation.

Acorn.

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

Answer me this: Why do so many Kansans say Missoura?

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

No offense, RI. You seriously know your history. Nobody takes me seriously. I don't remember what happened 20 minutes ago. But I know one thing about Missouri: When I was in Missouri They would not let me be I had to leave there in a hurry I only saw what they let me see You broke a heart that loved you Now you can seal up the book and not write anymore I've been walking that lonesome valley Trying to get to heaven before they close the door -Bob Dylan "Trying to Get to Heaven"

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

spacehog, you may be a bit spaced today. I did like the Kansas/Nebraska response though. Do you even sound like Bob Dylan when you talk? Cause no one can understand him either.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 4 months ago

I did a report on Nicodemus in Kansas History class in high school. I'm known as somewhat of a scholar in that field. What do you want to know?

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

No, but I'm addicted as hell to nicotine. I think you mean Nostradamus. I believe every single thing that cat says. The world is going to blow up in 4 days, 7 hours, and 23 minutes. I just bought 3 cases of scotch.

Jacob123 4 years, 4 months ago

Have you ever heard of Nicodemus?

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

By the way, history gets distorted all the time. I'm sick of seeing Free State everywhere I look. Kansas was never any safe haven for slaves or a leader in the anti-slavery movement. And racism? Things haven't changed much in the majority of this state in the last 150 years. Remember, all the cool stuff they taught you in grade school about Benjamin Franklin? Christ, the guy was a total hedonist! He was a filthy pervert and drank too much, like me.

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

RI, I think you made all of that up. Kansas and Nebraska hated each other until Tom Osborn left. Remember how they used to beat us like 84-3 in football every year. That was no Act. In light of recent events though, Nebraska is now my favorite Big 12 team. Bo Pelinski is cool. I know ACORN didn't form in Kansas. And CW, precipice isn't really a word. RI just added a couple of letters to recipe. Happens to me all the time. I can't type worth a damn.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

Your welcome CW.

Happy 51st anniversary of the John Birch Society.

CWGOKU 4 years, 4 months ago

I have heard of all that, of course, just nevetr heard it called Freedom Front Heritage, heck never heard of that term before. Precipice,,, nice word.
Thanks

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

Begin by telling me what “Freedom's Frontier Heritage” is?!

Ever heard of the The Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854, Bleeding Kansas, the fact that Kansas had two separate territorial governments, Acorn Community Organizers from Missouri coming up with 6000 votes in the Kansas territory that only had 1500 registered voters, the Sacking of Lawrence, Bushwhackers, Jayhawkers, John Brown's raids, The Topeka Constitution, The Lecompton Constitution, The Wyandotte Constitution, ?

This area of Eastern Kansas/ Western Missouri is the Freedom's Frontier National Heritage Area. And though your history books may say that the Civil war started with the attack on Ft. Sumter, the events in our area was the precursor, what pushed the Nation over the precipice.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 4 months ago

Freedom Frontier sounds like a radical right wing militia group that has a compound in the mountains of Idaho.

BABBOY 4 years, 4 months ago

What? Might start by expaining what Frontier Freedom is? Not that really matters. I can only assume that is another silly little Lawerence thing like the "wet lands" or "stoners" begging for money on Mass Street......

lwctown 4 years, 4 months ago

Yea a commemorative beer would be great.

CWGOKU 4 years, 4 months ago

Begin by telling me what "Freedom's Frontier Heritage" is?!

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

Seriously, I have no idea what in the hell this question means. I guess it's better than asking people if they still get B.O. when it's this cold, but come on. I have a bad feeling that some tool with a beard and round glasses is gonna suggest some historical re-enactments. I really hate those things. I mean, they are so awful, someday someone will re-enact Charles Bukowski's dad beating him with a razor strop 3 times a week. Poor bastard.

prospector 4 years, 4 months ago

Balloons

I am not ready to open the bunker for the tourists. Most of the materiel should stay out of sight.

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

One good way would be to reopen the Masonic Lodge building downtown as a concert venue. Have Bob Dylan play 2 shows/night 7 nights/week. And serve Freedom Fries, lots of Freedom Fries.

Kookamooka 4 years, 4 months ago

Isn't there a special office led by Judy Billings that does that? Have they not been doing their job? They got a nice chunk of change from the Federal Govt to make this REGION a heritage area and they are based in Lawrence. I haven't seen much going on around these parts. They shunned all of the enthusiastic people geared up to help on the project. Alienation does not a collaboration make.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 4 months ago

More Cannons - The Mini Series

More Cannons! - The Musical

/and more cowbells.

consumer1 4 years, 4 months ago

Sit around coffee shops and impress each other with your superior intellect.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

Good one, R_I.

& Free State beer also!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

Have preachers collect money and buy us rifles.

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

Raise a militia and invade Missouri.

Donnuts 4 years, 4 months ago

Have people size fold out panels that are collapsible and portable like a dressing panel that can tour elementary schools where you can pair off kids to look at them. They could have pictures and explanations of the pictures on them. You could store them in a museum and assign kids to look at them together and have them push kids they don't like around while they take time out from reading or so to look at them.