Previous   Next

Who’s your favorite band from the ‘90s?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 7, 2009

Browse the archives

“Bush. It was alternative rock. It was the first CD I ever bought.”

“Bruce Springsteen, though I hated the ‘Tunnel of Love’ album. ”

“Jane’s Addiction … they pretty much shaped the music I listened to in the ’90s. I still have a crush on Perry Farrell.”

“Waterdeep, a local band. I was hardcore in college … I spent a summer (in Wichita) helping them plan a festival.”

Related story

Comments

Nikki May 4 years, 10 months ago

Wow, Bush was that guy's first album? I was buying albums way before the 90s and he's probably my age. And Waterdeep? Hardcore what? You can like who you want, I don't care, but in that context, hardcore should be an adjective with a noun to describe. Usually if you are talking about music, hardcore does not make me think of anything like that.

I would have to pick Beastie Boys. IF I was forced to pick, that's what I'm saying now. It could be someone else in an hour. My favorite local band would probably be Stick followed by Paw. And, yes, I'm aware that none of these bands go with my screen name.

John Spencer 4 years, 10 months ago

Donnuts, I am pretty sure I have more recordings of Random Aztech than anyone else on the planet! I really need to convert them to digital form before the tapes turn to dust.

zettapixel 4 years, 10 months ago

Belly! The Sundays were good too... and then it'd have to be Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

kansasfire911 4 years, 10 months ago

Yeah I would have to go with Nirvana. Anyone remember when 311 used to play the Bottleneck in the 90's before they got big. That was awesome.

Nikki May 4 years, 10 months ago

Tenderloin was a little too naked too often for my tastes. Speaking of that though, Billygoat was also a favorite.

wacipimo 4 years, 10 months ago

Where did Nirvana play in Lawrence? Was it the Bottleneck? Did Kurt Cobain really visit William S. Burroughs at his house one Learnard ave?

Sagecasey 4 years, 10 months ago

TOB, is there a link to that story?

mom_of_three 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't remember bands in the 90's. Too old to care and too busy raising kids.

rosben 4 years, 10 months ago

Blind Melon. So underrated.

grammaddy 4 years, 10 months ago

BBD(Bell,Bivens, Devoe after New Edition broke up) No Doubt w/Gwen Stefani.

cleavageview 4 years, 10 months ago

I love Fishbone and was lucky enough to see them with Primus at an SUA sponsered event in the old ballroom. Best Halloween EVER! Nirvana played there just as Nevermind was hitting it big but they had also played the Outhouse on their earlier Bleach tour. Fugazi, Pixies, Camper Van Beethoven...they all rocked. Lawrence had the best shows in the 90's. Glad I got to be a part of it...

gphawk89 4 years, 10 months ago

Dream Theater

And like autie, I've never heard of (or at least never payed any attention to) most of the bands listed in the thread so far.

My favorite Lawrence shows (from the 80's) were LA Guns at the union and Metal Church at (I think) the Bottleneck.

wierpann 4 years, 10 months ago

Smashing Pumpkins...Siamese Dream was the first CD I ever bought. Excellent album.

readit 4 years, 10 months ago

Third Eye Blind and Pearl Jam

acg 4 years, 10 months ago

Chili Peppers, hands down. I also used to love a little local band called Speed Dog Champion. I also loved the Beasties and oh yes, my Metallica phase, can't forget that. And the Bosstones! Ah, the list goes on...

meggers 4 years, 10 months ago

I'd have to pick the Dave Mathews Band, although I can think of several bands that were around prior to the ninety's, but gained more notoriety and a larger following during that time. Widespread Panic, The Flaming Lips, and Phish to name a few.

Celeste Plitz 4 years, 10 months ago

Radiohead, the Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins and the Stone Roses. I don't think I could choose "just one" ;P

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

mint condition. i'm probably one of the only posters up in here who didn't think of a rock band.

Chrissy Neibarger 4 years, 10 months ago

It's a tie between Nirvana and Alice N Chains, for national bands.

I was lucky and got to see Nirvana at the Union, that was so cool, they were just barely popular at the time and a few weeks after they played here in Lawrence they exploded on the radio.

For local Lawrence Bands: Stick, Mu330 and Slackjaw where always my favorites..

Unix_Admin 4 years, 10 months ago

Kill Whitey was one of the best local acts.

Ken Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

The Psychotic Pineapples.

Google it.

somedude20 4 years, 10 months ago

Just a few of the worst of the 90's: Limp Bizkit NSYNC Backstreet Boys NSync Blink 182 Metallica (they jumped the shark big time in the 90s) Korn!!!!!!!!!!!! All emo needs to go, really!!!

Some of the highlights of the 90's: Cranberries Sublime STP Beck Spoon Lemonheads Liz Phair

Rae Hudspeth 4 years, 10 months ago

I really like Blues Traveler. I could listen to them for days, although in the 90s, I was usually listening to World Music such as Agricantus, Tarkan, Alabina and Loreena McKennitt. I didn't care much for anything I heard on the radio.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

Mutant Fish (best band in the Fayetteville punk scene in the early 80s)

tubs_of_love 4 years, 10 months ago

Nirvana Mudhoney Pearl Jam Soundgarden Beck Chili Peppers

parrothead8 4 years, 10 months ago

Agnostick and tubs_of_love already mentioned them, but I loved Soundgarden. Still do, actually. Me and my buddy Rube called them "angry rock".

We once spent a week together on the trail in Italy, and were about two hours outside of civilization (on foot) when we realized we'd packed the Walkman but no tapes. Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" album was in the Walkman, so that was the only album we listened to for a week. Never got tired of it.

Kirk Larson 4 years, 10 months ago

XTC, Trip Shakespere, Soundgarden, Camper Van Beethoven.

Random Aztech, Kill Whitey, Dashboard Buddha, Tenderloin, Red Hammer, Ricky Dean Sinatra, Sin City Disciples. (Might be some '80's in there)

looza 4 years, 10 months ago

Collective Soul & Dave Matthews Band are my favorite bands of the 90's. Todays music blows! Rap is crap!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 10 months ago

Already noted... Camper and Cracker, Pixies, Radiohead.

Afghan Whigs, The Chameleons, The Fall, Wire(?).

Twilight Singers (conceived just before the turn of the century, favorite band of the new century).

( Neil Young, always. )

guppypunkhead 4 years, 10 months ago

Frogpond! Sublime, Blur, Weezer, Eels, Veruca Salt, Liz Phair, Cake, Ben Folds Five....

labmonkey 4 years, 10 months ago

NIN, Rammstein, NIrvana, Alice N Chains, Gun N Roses (their best song was made in the 90's...You Could be Mine), Tool, Cake, and Fiona Apple. My favorite band of all time is Metallica, but I am not a big fan of most of their 90's efforts.

As for regional bands, The Sound and the Fury, and Dudn't Matter.

Bradford Hoopes 4 years, 10 months ago

Hmmm... maybe this counts because it has Dave Grohl on drums!

Them Crooked Vultures http://www.themcrookedvultures.com

Well, actually, they just released their first record. John Paul Jones on bass, Dave Grohl on drums and Josh Homme on guitar and vocals.

Rock Lives Again! Don't Delay!
Tell Your Friends!

corduroypants 4 years, 10 months ago

Saw Pearl Jam with Urge Overkill in Wichita in '93. Probably the best show I've ever seen.

jonas_opines 4 years, 10 months ago

Metallica until their second album in the '90s. The Offspring, Reverend H. Heat, Soundgarden. I liked the Urge a lot too, thanks for bringing that up.

The top spot, though, as always, goes to Tool. Best band of this generation, hands down.

LoveThsLife 4 years, 10 months ago

Rage Against The Machine put on a good show....I really liked silverchair in the 90's....Tool was good...I used to listen to Deftones "Around the Fur" a lot... It's fun to see what everyone remembers...there are bands/artists listed here that I honestly have forgotten about.

I would like to include WTH? moments from the 90's too though... Does anyone remember when Puff Daddy and Jimmy Page teamed up? I randomly found the soundtrack with Puff Daddy's rendition of a Led Zeppelin song one day...eek.

maxcrabb 4 years, 10 months ago

From the first riff of 'Airbag' to the ending bell of 'The Tourist', OK Computer will always be my favorite.

Yes, Radiohead.

(but Ben Folds Five 'Underground' taught me to embrace the 'me' everyone else stared at strangely)