Previous   Next

Do you wish Mark Mangino was still the KU football coach?

Asked at Royal Crest Lanes, 933 Iowa on December 6, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes and no. … He was a good coach for a while, but I don’t like the way he treated his players.”

“From a spectator nostalgia point of view, yes because I liked seeing this gigantic guy on the sideline as our coach.”

“Yes, the kids are playing a contact sport, they need to be motivated. … I don’t see he has done anything different than anybody else has done.”

“I think it’s too bad that we are not giving him more of a chance. … After all, he did change our whole program around.”

Comments

dr_k 5 years ago

Chancellor Grey-Little, It's time to finish the job and Fire Lew Perkins.

nbnozzy 5 years ago

I agree with dr_k

Dear Santa, disregard my last letter to you wanting peace on Earth, goodwill to man, etc......

Just have the KU chancellor fire Lew Perkins and I will have a Merry Christmas.

Thanks again,

"Timmy"

Houdini 5 years ago

We should use Lew's salary to relocate the practice field. He should have been fired after coming up with that disaster.

slowplay 5 years ago

I can think of about 5 million reasons I don't feel sorry for him. I'm still amazed KU fans are so entrenched in mediocrity that a .500 coach, whose program is getting worse, not better, is considered good enough. 2 to 3 years is what most "million" dollar coaches get to turn a program around. Mangino has had 8 and KU is still a bottom feeder in the Big 12. If I was Lew I'd hire some HS coach, pay him around $200,000/year, and if he stays around .500 he can be a coach for life because that's all the fans expect or want.

Richard Heckler 5 years ago

Bring home games back home instead of using lost local tax dollars to help fund expensive coaches.

Not to mention increasing the KCMO tax cookie jar....

Kat Christian 5 years ago

I don't know about his coaching because I don't really get into sports, but I couldn't stand looking at the rolly-polly man. It hurt my eyes to see him. Even in person. I really don't care one way or another where he goes. I do hope for his sake he goes on a diet.

puddleglum 5 years ago

time to finish the job and fire lew Perkins..... please!

pace 5 years ago

Ku and Lew"s goal for the sports programs is cash, They should be recognized for privatizing the games. Fire Lew. It might take decades but we need to change having finanacial issues being the ONLY thing that matters to the sports program. We endanger the players and degrade the fans and lose the values. I know it is not considered possible but sports could be cleaned up.

slowplay 5 years ago

Babboy,

It doesn't matter what he inherited or how many bowl games (win six and go to a bowl) he's won. In 8 years he proved he could not field a Big 12 competitor.

"why in the world would you pay a high school coach $200,000 to run the program? Delusional…..".... LOL, I was being facetious, but the analogy does apply. There's no need to overspend when the fans don't care.

Russell Fryberger 5 years ago

How many players actually bitched about bad treatment? Just the one that had their butts wiped by mama their whole lives. The whole thing is economics. You make more money from controversy than from a losing season.

riverdrifter 5 years ago

Nope.

Mangino was not abused here. To whom much is given much is expected. Didn't deliver. He & his family will not be living under bridges.

Time to move on.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years ago

Fire "Sports Executive of the Year" Perkins?

Hate "Multiple bowl wins" Mangino?

So, you liked it when we lost in EVERY sport, every year? So, you STILL think KU Athletics takes more than it gives to the university? So, you still think the earth is flat? Some of you don't make any sense to me. Perkins is the best AD in the nation. Mangino built a great program, then had a down year. KU athletics have never been better.

Disagree? Someone tell me what years in KU history were better than the Perkins years, in terms of athletics.