Previous   Next

Do you wish Mark Mangino was still the KU football coach?

Asked at Royal Crest Lanes, 933 Iowa on December 6, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes and no. … He was a good coach for a while, but I don’t like the way he treated his players.”

“From a spectator nostalgia point of view, yes because I liked seeing this gigantic guy on the sideline as our coach.”

“Yes, the kids are playing a contact sport, they need to be motivated. … I don’t see he has done anything different than anybody else has done.”

“I think it’s too bad that we are not giving him more of a chance. … After all, he did change our whole program around.”

Comments

hitme 4 years, 4 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad, You think Perkins had ANYTHING the last six years? Tell me what he DID?

He had nothing to do but ride along. As I've already explained more than once, the success of Self & Mangino's teams brought in the increased revenue & donations. Everyone wants to be part of a winning program. Conversely, the damage Perkins has done is permanent. We'll never relocated the practice field that was his decision to put in the most ridiculous spot. He screwed up the seating in the field house and ignoring the Mangino decision, he was already the most hated man on campus by his staff, alumni, & students. Why? Because he works against their interests. The guy will eventually be fired; we might as well get rid of him now so we can at least attract a decent coach and stop the damage he is causing. Time to take out the trash.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 4 months ago

Fire "Sports Executive of the Year" Perkins?

Hate "Multiple bowl wins" Mangino?

So, you liked it when we lost in EVERY sport, every year? So, you STILL think KU Athletics takes more than it gives to the university? So, you still think the earth is flat? Some of you don't make any sense to me. Perkins is the best AD in the nation. Mangino built a great program, then had a down year. KU athletics have never been better.

Disagree? Someone tell me what years in KU history were better than the Perkins years, in terms of athletics.

riverdrifter 4 years, 4 months ago

Nope.

Mangino was not abused here. To whom much is given much is expected. Didn't deliver. He & his family will not be living under bridges.

Time to move on.

Russell Fryberger 4 years, 4 months ago

How many players actually bitched about bad treatment? Just the one that had their butts wiped by mama their whole lives. The whole thing is economics. You make more money from controversy than from a losing season.

Mister_Pink 4 years, 4 months ago

I think the question that really should be asked is, "Do you want Lew Perkins fired next?" Or how about an online poll to that affect.

slowplay 4 years, 4 months ago

Babboy,

It doesn't matter what he inherited or how many bowl games (win six and go to a bowl) he's won. In 8 years he proved he could not field a Big 12 competitor.

"why in the world would you pay a high school coach $200,000 to run the program? Delusional…..".... LOL, I was being facetious, but the analogy does apply. There's no need to overspend when the fans don't care.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 4 months ago

The anti Lew crew could always keep him gifted with plenty of fatty gifts, dinners,desserts, alcohol, high sodium...start lots of fights between players, etc. Stress is good for older men.

BABBOY 4 years, 4 months ago

Slowplay, you have a bad memory and are a little delusional. Although Mangino is not pretty, he has 4 of the 9 bowls KU has ever managed. There is plenty of reason not to fire him.

I thought he was perfect for KU in that he would not leave as evidence by the Orange Bowl he won two years ago.

Anyway, sounds like Lew may hire Turner Gill. Gill is good coach coach, but not the big name everyone thought Lew would get. Why? No big name is going to come to KU after the way the crapped on Mangino. No big name is going to come to KU when everyone knows KU fans leave at half time and really are just waiting for basketball season to start.

KU is not a football school. It is a flash in pan program that every now and then gets a Gayle Sayers or John Riggins.

As for Mangino being only .500, you should consider how bad the program was when he took it over from Allen. It had zero talent and Mangino had to rebuild it from nothing at all.

Also, why in the world would you pay a high school coach $200,000 to run the program? Delusional.....

pace 4 years, 4 months ago

Ku and Lew"s goal for the sports programs is cash, They should be recognized for privatizing the games. Fire Lew. It might take decades but we need to change having finanacial issues being the ONLY thing that matters to the sports program. We endanger the players and degrade the fans and lose the values. I know it is not considered possible but sports could be cleaned up.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

The whole shebang certainly did not end the way I had imagined it in my undried dreams.

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

Oh, I forgot. Offer the coaching job to Bob Dylan. That would Rule!!!

spacehog 4 years, 4 months ago

I just think the way the whole thing was handled stinks. First, any wuss that thinks a football coach shouldn't be tough on his players is just another PC idiot. Why don't we just start playing "touch football" and let girls on the team? And no cussing, because that might hurt someone's feelings. As for Lew, he's a cold hearted creep. Sure he's done his $ job, at the cost of the human element. If he had any guts, he would resign immediately. He can make more precious money somewhere else anyway.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

time to finish the job and fire lew Perkins..... please!

Kat Christian 4 years, 4 months ago

I don't know about his coaching because I don't really get into sports, but I couldn't stand looking at the rolly-polly man. It hurt my eyes to see him. Even in person. I really don't care one way or another where he goes. I do hope for his sake he goes on a diet.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 4 months ago

smoked gouda

/although I have to blame autie for my pepper jack/sriracha on trisket with hot chocolate breakfast this morning

toe 4 years, 4 months ago

The big givers got what they wanted in exchange for 30 million.

oneeye_wilbur 4 years, 4 months ago

Perkins won't have to be fired, Perkins will announce that he has an offer elsewhere, but really hates to leave Lawrence, after all Lawrence has been so good to him and he loves the community. Is there a Mrs. Perkins? We never hear about her, or did she get employed in the educational system some place along the way.

If anyone does their homework on past city staff, past University officials, that is the norm for not being fired and/or resigning. And, um, the norm for departure is , "we want to be closer to family".

Give it time, Lew Perkins will be leaving and one eye wilbur's hot dog stand will fold up as there will be no need anymore for the Big Mandingo dog, or the Lil Perky Dog.

Another potential business venture goes by the wayside again.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 4 months ago

Bring home games back home instead of using lost local tax dollars to help fund expensive coaches.

Not to mention increasing the KCMO tax cookie jar....

prospector 4 years, 4 months ago

Your wishes don't come true unless they are kept secret, or is that just when you blow out the candles?

slowplay 4 years, 4 months ago

I can think of about 5 million reasons I don't feel sorry for him. I'm still amazed KU fans are so entrenched in mediocrity that a .500 coach, whose program is getting worse, not better, is considered good enough. 2 to 3 years is what most "million" dollar coaches get to turn a program around. Mangino has had 8 and KU is still a bottom feeder in the Big 12. If I was Lew I'd hire some HS coach, pay him around $200,000/year, and if he stays around .500 he can be a coach for life because that's all the fans expect or want.

Donnuts 4 years, 4 months ago

People that push people to do well in contact sports like that often do exactly that push people. I can't say I ever liked football; in fact I don't. I do know that he was a winning coach. I do not know exactly what happened between him and the player. I don't care either way actually. I don't watch KU football.

Houdini 4 years, 4 months ago

We should use Lew's salary to relocate the practice field. He should have been fired after coming up with that disaster.

jimjones 4 years, 4 months ago

I'd gladly chip in to help Lew move out of town.

nbnozzy 4 years, 4 months ago

I agree with dr_k

Dear Santa, disregard my last letter to you wanting peace on Earth, goodwill to man, etc......

Just have the KU chancellor fire Lew Perkins and I will have a Merry Christmas.

Thanks again,

"Timmy"

dr_k 4 years, 4 months ago

Chancellor Grey-Little, It's time to finish the job and Fire Lew Perkins.