Previous   Next

How often do you cook at home?

Asked at Kansas Union, 1301 Jayhawk Blvd. on December 2, 2009

Browse the archives

“About once a week, mostly spaghetti, something simple.”

“About five days a week, chicken, salads, frozen dinners.”

“I would say five days out of seven, pasta usually.”

“About two or three days a week, mostly steak or chicken and maybe some vegetables.”

Related story

Comments

cricketeer 4 years, 4 months ago

during an average month i eat at:

FreeState once usually lunch Milton's twice usually breakfast Myrth Cafe twice usually breakfast Zen Zero once usually lunch LPT coffee and bagel usually 3 a month Eldridge Ten once usually lunch Local Burger about 3 times usually lunch Thai House usually twice for dinner Wheatfields usually 3 times for breakfast Vermont BBQ - oh wait they closed!

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 4 months ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says…

Does opening a box of frozen stuff & putting it into the microwave count as cooking? ~~ No snap, I don't really think so, lol. But you get points for not having to eat out every meal.

I've been doing that too for over a year now myself or I bring home extra fast food to reheat. (Something those of us do here living 30 miles from fast food, planned leftovers are fine by us!)

I hired help recently and we've got the quasi kitchen closer to running order, (I don't live in a regular house like you all do with all those cabinets and counter top space)

I'm planning to bake two sweet potato pies for the holidays, first time ever using the real oven here. I've never even turned it on, I supposed I should check that out to see if it works before I mix the stuff, should I? That would be just my luck, get two pies ready to put in and find the oven hadn't heated, wouldn't it? LOL! I've got a convection microwave, I could do them one at a time, that would take forever. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

acg 4 years, 4 months ago

Almost every single night we cook at home. My hubby is a culinary student, too, so we share the duty 50/50 and man, if you have the chance to go to culinary school, or to send a spouse, I highly recommend it. I'm gonna get so fat, I can already tell.

coolmom 4 years, 4 months ago

every meal except bdays and sometimes those.

prospector 4 years, 4 months ago

How often do you cook at home in my pants?

mom_of_three 4 years, 4 months ago

We usually eat out or get takeout about once a week as a family. Kids sometimes grab a sandwich or something on the way to practices, performances, games. Hubby and I might go out for lunch or something over the weekend.

grammaddy 4 years, 4 months ago

3x a day. With 3 adults and 5 kids in the house, eating out is waayy tooo expensive. Some of the kids have food issues and cooking at home is just easier. And it's soooo much better for everyone.On Sundays everyone comes to Grandma's house and I'm cooking for a tribe of 15 - 20. I'm lovin' it!!

CWGOKU 4 years, 4 months ago

Every night. Does Papa Murphy's , take home and bake count?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

beawolf 4 years, 4 months ago

When I was a student, I never cooked. A $3.00 all you can eat buffet would satisfy me for 2 or 3 days. The rest came out of a can or box. I had a $15/week budget for food.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 4 months ago

Other than a little fast food and a Chinese take-out night once in awhile, we cook at home all the time. Of course, the kids will eat here, and with an hour or two, on the way to where ever they're going, it seems impossible for them to not hit McDonalds, Taco Bell, BK, Hardees, Arby's, Chipotle, Panda Express, KFC, Subway, Sonic (big favorite) etc etc. I'm quite convinced they require at least 5000 calories a day, or they'll simply perish. And then there's good old dad, who has to watch every stinking food or drink item I shove down my gullet or else.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

Not really one of those shake and bake in the park types.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 4 months ago

We very rarely eat out, only on special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries. No fast food ever. It's nutritionally horrendous, expensive and frequently tastes like cardboard.

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

How often? Every time I get hungry. I am the designated cook always Friday through Sunday and all holidays and any weekdays I take off work...plus a few other times. We rarely eat out. Mrs. Autie says my cookin is better anyway.

countrygirl 4 years, 4 months ago

Almost all of them. We grab lunch out on Saturdays sometimes if we're out running errands but that's about it except for specail occasions.

Donnuts 4 years, 4 months ago

Are you kidding me? I cook mostly every meal I eat whether it is just making a salad or spaghetti or beans and rice. I eat out about once a month at best.