Previous   Next

Have you ever visited the Agricultural Hall of Fame?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 1, 2009

Browse the archives

“I have not; never really thought about it.”

“Yes I have … my brother-in-law is a dairy farmer and we went over there to take a look around. It was a lot of fun.”

“No. I never had a reason.”

“Yes I have, two or three times. I grew up on a farm.”

Related story

Comments

blue73harley 4 years, 4 months ago

The Angry Coach Hall of Fame.

There could be a entire building just for DCABA.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 4 months ago

clearly Lawrence is losing out in the Hall of Fame race!

it is imperitive that we develop at least two halls of fame with local ties.
ideas?

the long-haired hippy in kansas hall of fame?

the bedroom community hall of fame?

the Klondike Bar hall of fame?

ideas?

Jonas, you are an obvious leftist elitist, but your cuzin writin is funny rite thar!

nbnozzy 4 years, 4 months ago

I once visited the KFC- Kentucky Fried Chicken museum.

Here's a link to it: http://www.corbinkentucky.us/sanderscafe.htm

monkey_c 4 years, 4 months ago

2002 All farmers gamble on farming.

beawolf 4 years, 4 months ago

Didn't know there was one, or where it is.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 4 months ago

Need more road trips. (need more road trip buddies, thus more gaiety and sporadic mayhem)

50 heading west was awesome yesterday evening,purples and blues over reddened grassy plains, seeing forever in all directions. My ride home from the store is spectacular.

Beats Overland Park beige suburbia and manicured lawns hands down. ;)

(inserts shameless plug for local doin's)

Oh, the Cottonwood Falls courthouse is now lit, as is the walking bridge over the river if you need an excuse to go shop at the shops and go for a drive. Santa and the carriage rides, the big event was last weekend. 100 miles from Lawrence. Hour and a half. Friday nights in good weather, the folks bring lawn chairs out and fill the wide brick main street in town. The musicians come from all over (other states even) and set up, play for hours. Amazing. There's a regular contra dance down here I'm told.

Here's Emma Chase's Website for events like Monthly Happenings: Bicyclists' Breakfast First Sunday

Antique Auto Breakfast Second Sunday

Biker Breakfast Third Sunday

Fly-In at the Cottonwood Falls Airport Fourth Saturday

Friday Night Music

No Music 1st Friday in June Christmas Eve or Christmas Day

First Friday Tallgrass Pickin' acoustic Country music

Second Friday K-177 Bluegrass Pickin' acoustic BlueGrass music

Third Friday Gospel Pickin' acoustic Gospel music

Fourth Friday Old Timey Rock & Roll & Vintage Country

Fifth Friday Folk & Contra Music acoustic

and more! http://www.emmachasecafe.com/default.htm

2002 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes. It was great, but even at 10 I was asking myself: Why isn't Oliver Wendell Douglas in the Ag Hall of Fame. I mean, after all he left the city to farm in the countryside.

The other question I have is: If you get caught gambling on farming, can you still be in the Hall of Fame?

CWGOKU 4 years, 4 months ago

I've been to the Bowling Hall of Fame.

Celeste 4 years, 4 months ago

I went back in elementary school I believe. I enjoyed it. Especially in these times, so many kids have absolutely no idea where our food comes from. It's good to have a place where they can go and learn about the process and the people behind it.

I remember especially the special miniature wagon with breyer Belgian horses hitched to it since I'm a total horse nut. Very cool place. Sounds like it might have gone downhill, glad they're trying to bring it back.

BABBOY 4 years, 4 months ago

No, but it might be interesting.

Pywacket 4 years, 4 months ago

You people are missing out on one of the 7 wonders of KS (the other 6 being a ball of twine, a giant steam shovel, a pair of Dorothy's knickers, a tornado-driven straw-through-a-2x4, a large mylar helium balloon in the shape of a Lockheed Electra, and a shrine built around a purported image of Jesus in a faded oil stain at a defunct gas station near Ark City).

As I mentioned on the other Ag Hall of Fame thread, the Hall of Hoes is stupendous--not to be missed!

Then there's the FarmArt Building (or F.Art Bldg, for short), showcasing manure sculpture, paintings by Arnold Ziffel, and fiber art created with shredded wheat on styrofoam cones.

In the Practical Applications Hall, don't miss the modern farm office tableau, with a rustic barnwood desk, a swivel chair made from an old Allis-Chalmers tractor seat mounted on mower wheels, the cloven-goat's-hoof pencil holder, and other handy accessories inspired by chic barnyard objects.

On the way out, stop by the gift shop, where you'll find a wide array of holiday gift ideas. The kids will love the cute dried turkey foot backscratcher or a collection of kiln-baked and colorfully lacquered llama marbles! Get a great deal on 4 bar stools made from old milk cans for the cuzzins! a cow-tail fly swatter for Grandpa...

For coworkers, Johnny's teacher, or the next-door neighbor, give the gift of aroma-therapy room fresheners in 6 popular scents: "Ewe" de Sheep, Roostaroma, Dairy Aire, Fresh-baked Cow Pie, Downwind Whiff, and Swiney Woods-- and, for a great "couples gift," a frisky barbed-wire and leather chaps S&M set! Pa will be crying, "Moo-la-la!" when he unwraps this one under the tree.

You have not experienced Kansas until you've experienced the Ag Hall of Fame!

BorderRat 4 years, 4 months ago

No, but I did go see the Worlds Largest Prairie Dog.

sherbert 4 years, 4 months ago

Went in elementary school, way back when, and was surprised to find it quite interesting. Glad they took us because I never would have thought of going.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 4 months ago

I once visited the Pepper Jack Cheese Hall of Fame.

prospector 4 years, 4 months ago

In the wayback days of my youth, I asked the G-parents about going. Gramma said there was nothing to it. It was just the stuff she had to look at that was lying about the farm when she was a kid.

autie 4 years, 4 months ago

Can I get bacon on that? And coffee. Black. thanks

nbnozzy 4 years, 4 months ago

Roe... interesting that you posted that video. I viewed it last week and added it to my "oldies" playlist. Great song.

jonas_opines 4 years, 4 months ago

Hall B, Exhibit 3

Benjamin Billy Bob Jackson: 1956-present, inducted March 17th, 2004

Ben Billy Bob Jackson, or Big Triple B as his friends sometimes call him, or Bi-triBble when they've been drinking, was the first too experiment with a higher caliber wheat for the making of grain alcohol, and his results have yielded us the higher caliber liquor sold in liquor stores, versus the lower-caliber from the old process, which is sold in gas stations and grocery stores.

"Wellum, shucks. It just turned out this one day that we was drinkin', and old Lester McGough from down the road a bit he was sitting on a barrel of sumtin we had just distilled, think it were a brown ale or sumtin like that, and anyway he weren't too shore of his feet, havin' had to much, and he spilled that barrel all over the wheat! We had a pickle off that for shore! Ol' Les ain't allowed to sit on the rails no more."

But from this tragic accident was born a miracle. When they next took wheat to make their product, they were shocked to discover that the wheat, being drenched in ale beforehand, yielded a much higher alcohol content later in the process.

"Well, it sounds like a waste, don't it? But we found out, by 'trial and error' to use city-folk words, that you ne'er had to use jest that whole barrel on the crops. Just a couple drops done do the job jest fine. So now we gets the good 'ol boys from around the place to go out 'fore harvest and sprinkle the old beer that close to sour on the wheat, and we get the higher yield for it later. I 'spect it's some kind o' miracle."

Big Triple B credits this innovation for his longevity, and maintaining his youthful appearance.

"I done reckon by now I sorta pickled. If'n you catch my meaning."

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 4 months ago

i appreciate everything farmers and ranchers do for us, but no, i haven't visisted the ag h.o.f. and don't plan on it.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 4 months ago

No, but if I were 25 years younger, Luke Skywalker's mom would be a MILF.

CWGOKU 4 years, 4 months ago

No... Too many K-Staters hang out there.

solsken66 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes, numerous times. My family really enjoyed the Agriculture Hall of Fame. My boys especially liked all the old agriculture equipment and vehicles. They also liked the blacksmith shop with live demonstrations. Alot of room for kids to run and enjoy themselves.

Donnuts 4 years, 4 months ago

Is this a "yes or no" question? Where is the trick? How are we supposed to discuss this? Did anyone see the horrendous garden out front of the place? It looked like they had rootworms. The chrysanthemmums were dying out. Boy, how the sign was cut out of stone horribly...and can you believe the size of the potholes in the driveway and down the street getting there....? Geez, it was horrendous.