Previous   Next

Have you ever visited the Agricultural Hall of Fame?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 1, 2009

Browse the archives

“I have not; never really thought about it.”

“Yes I have … my brother-in-law is a dairy farmer and we went over there to take a look around. It was a lot of fun.”

“No. I never had a reason.”

“Yes I have, two or three times. I grew up on a farm.”

Related story

Comments

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

i appreciate everything farmers and ranchers do for us, but no, i haven't visisted the ag h.o.f. and don't plan on it.

jonas_opines 4 years, 10 months ago

Hall B, Exhibit 3

Benjamin Billy Bob Jackson: 1956-present, inducted March 17th, 2004

Ben Billy Bob Jackson, or Big Triple B as his friends sometimes call him, or Bi-triBble when they've been drinking, was the first too experiment with a higher caliber wheat for the making of grain alcohol, and his results have yielded us the higher caliber liquor sold in liquor stores, versus the lower-caliber from the old process, which is sold in gas stations and grocery stores.

"Wellum, shucks. It just turned out this one day that we was drinkin', and old Lester McGough from down the road a bit he was sitting on a barrel of sumtin we had just distilled, think it were a brown ale or sumtin like that, and anyway he weren't too shore of his feet, havin' had to much, and he spilled that barrel all over the wheat! We had a pickle off that for shore! Ol' Les ain't allowed to sit on the rails no more."

But from this tragic accident was born a miracle. When they next took wheat to make their product, they were shocked to discover that the wheat, being drenched in ale beforehand, yielded a much higher alcohol content later in the process.

"Well, it sounds like a waste, don't it? But we found out, by 'trial and error' to use city-folk words, that you ne'er had to use jest that whole barrel on the crops. Just a couple drops done do the job jest fine. So now we gets the good 'ol boys from around the place to go out 'fore harvest and sprinkle the old beer that close to sour on the wheat, and we get the higher yield for it later. I 'spect it's some kind o' miracle."

Big Triple B credits this innovation for his longevity, and maintaining his youthful appearance.

"I done reckon by now I sorta pickled. If'n you catch my meaning."

nbnozzy 4 years, 10 months ago

Roe... interesting that you posted that video. I viewed it last week and added it to my "oldies" playlist. Great song.

sherbert 4 years, 10 months ago

Went in elementary school, way back when, and was surprised to find it quite interesting. Glad they took us because I never would have thought of going.

BorderRat 4 years, 10 months ago

No, but I did go see the Worlds Largest Prairie Dog.

Celeste Plitz 4 years, 10 months ago

I went back in elementary school I believe. I enjoyed it. Especially in these times, so many kids have absolutely no idea where our food comes from. It's good to have a place where they can go and learn about the process and the people behind it.

I remember especially the special miniature wagon with breyer Belgian horses hitched to it since I'm a total horse nut. Very cool place. Sounds like it might have gone downhill, glad they're trying to bring it back.

2002 4 years, 10 months ago

Yes. It was great, but even at 10 I was asking myself: Why isn't Oliver Wendell Douglas in the Ag Hall of Fame. I mean, after all he left the city to farm in the countryside.

The other question I have is: If you get caught gambling on farming, can you still be in the Hall of Fame?

beawolf 4 years, 10 months ago

Didn't know there was one, or where it is.

monkey_c 4 years, 10 months ago

2002 All farmers gamble on farming.

nbnozzy 4 years, 10 months ago

I once visited the KFC- Kentucky Fried Chicken museum.

Here's a link to it: http://www.corbinkentucky.us/sanderscafe.htm

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

clearly Lawrence is losing out in the Hall of Fame race!

it is imperitive that we develop at least two halls of fame with local ties.
ideas?

the long-haired hippy in kansas hall of fame?

the bedroom community hall of fame?

the Klondike Bar hall of fame?

ideas?

Jonas, you are an obvious leftist elitist, but your cuzin writin is funny rite thar!