Previous   Next

Do you pamper your pets?

Browse the archives

“I do. I spend money on her shampoo and her food. It’s natural and organic food only.”

“I pamper my neighbor’s pets. We give them free reign in our house.”

“No, I don’t. He’s a great dog, but I don’t pamper myself, either. ”

“I wouldn’t say I necessarily pamper him, but I do give him plenty of exercise and make sure he has a lot of fun.”

Comments

missmagoo 4 years, 7 months ago

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 7 months ago

About 2 mths ago I paid to have the carpet area removed and replaced in a certain storage area because my son's cat has chosen to use it as his number 2 area instead of the nice clean litter box. We've speculated all we can as to why he does this, he sometimes does use the litter box for number 2, but then reverts. We've done everything.

Once the carpet was removed and the new tile put down. No more poo. Hurrah. Then, after a month he starts. We line it with papers to ease cleaning. Handy man (think nearly a relative, I see him more often) is doing seasonal work in that room for me, goes to plug vacuum in behind washer which has large area behind it I never see. Dryer also has larger area than most. He looks over at me with look of "Oh No, chuckles " on his face. At first I thought he had dropped the washer cord down behind and was going to have to move it so I asked. He just shook his head NO. And then suddenly I knew exactly what he must have found.

Kitty's hidden treasures. Thus, we designed, and he has built a washer dryer kitty proof shelf and surround. The dryer already sat up on bed risers for my back and the cat could also have walked under it. So now all sides, underneath, and all about are enclosed.

All in all, both projects will probably cost me less than $125 I hope. In Lawrence it would be over twice that for the time he put into it and materials I'm sure.

But how do you tell your child you got rid of 'their perfect cat' just for that one picky habit?

Come on...the cat plays fetch!

sgtwolverine 4 years, 7 months ago

Py, I see that error all the time. It always irks me.

As to the question: I don't have pets. But if I did, they wouldn't be pampered. I grew up in a rural area, and whatever animals we had (usually cats, but a few dogs as well) stayed outside no matter the weather and ate very non-fancy food or even -- gasp! -- wild animals they caught themselves. Because of this, I can't even come close to comprehending the concept of treating pets like royalty. They're animals, and I prefer to treat them as such. This isn't cruelty or abuse; it's perspective that some seem to have lost.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 7 months ago

Deion gets everything he needs as a cat. He gets groomed everyday and gets a back massage. I use waterless shampoo with conditioner and lavender and camomile in it and use the shedender which is great. I also have the nail trimmer and of course toothpaste, brush and gum massager. He has a Pooh Bear blanky that he loves. Loves of toys all over the living room. Right now he is curled up sleeping on the sofa. The right side is his.

Mary Darst 4 years, 7 months ago

Absolutely!!! And, they are my babies. (never had any the the other kind). I feed them the expensive kind of dog food, but really only because they are just in my fenced in yard. One of them sleeps with me. The other will start once is gets out of puberty. They are the light of my life. They ask of very little and love me no matter what. Can't beat that.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

I prefer to think of the lemurs as associates, not pets. To answer the question, with the exception of not letting them watch Bruce Lee movies, I let them have their way.

blue73harley 4 years, 7 months ago

The dog is indoor mostly but has a fenced back yard to play in.

The cats are indoor-only. I've had the indoor/outdoor type. They often ended up flat, not fluffy.

I wouldn't say they are pampered.

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Labrador better be good and toe the line today. He has a workout on the schedule tomorrow. A blasting good time in the morning and he has fetch-o-rama duty. This is what he lives for...the warm up trips then duck season.

number3of5 4 years, 7 months ago

One would need to define pampered. My dogs are in the house at night, when it is hot, and when it is too cold and to me this is pampered. Dog houses are for dogs and people houses are for people. They are not my children, they are my pets. They get food, treats, exercise and discipline, not necessarily in that order, but I try to be consistent with it daily. I do have trouble keeping my husband in sync with me as he tends to spoil his mastiff and blame all the problems on my beagle.

labmonkey 4 years, 7 months ago

Cameron has to be effing kidding me.

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

Pampered? No. Spoiled? Yes. They want for nothing but are expected to toe the line.

Pywacket 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm fairly certain Suzy means "free rein." The term derives from horsemanship, not royalty.

Is the editorial staff off for the weekend? Come on, guys...

Our pets are somewhat spoiled but we don't take it to idiotic extremes.

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes, but once a cat I trained got hit by a car.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 7 months ago

No, I used Luvs® until they were potty trained.