Previous   Next

Would you watch television on the Internet?

Asked at Hy-Vee Food Store, 4000 W. Sixth St. on August 30, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes. It’s easier, more convenient.”

“Probably not. I’m not on the Internet that much.”

“Yes, I have, because I missed it when it was on TV.”

“Most definitely, (for its) convenience.”

Comments

labmonkey 4 years, 11 months ago

I had to catch Sarah Connor Chronicles on the internet when FOX stupidly put it on Friday night.

Watch out for Skynet.

persevering_gal 4 years, 11 months ago

Not with Sunflower charging me for extra broadband!

zettapixel 4 years, 11 months ago

We already watch television on the Internet thanks to the new Palladium plan that Sunflower has out. Costs the same as the Gold package we had with no cap on data.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 11 months ago

I don't even watch television on the television.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

No. My television is larger than my monitor. Also, I have basic Internet which gives me everything I want to do and I don't want to pay more for something I don't need anyway.

Mary Darst 4 years, 11 months ago

Only if my television was broken. Although, when I am bored at work, I have thought about it.

tomatogrower 4 years, 11 months ago

I like to watch TV with my husband, so I prefer a big screen. I never drink alone either.

jenng 4 years, 11 months ago

I already do. I watch all TV via the internet or checking out DVDs from the library or Liberty Hall. Sunflower cable cost too much & I use Freenet so I don't have to worry about band caps.

zikzak 4 years, 11 months ago

Oh yes I certainly do!  Now with Palladium there are no overages from Sunflower! Thank you Sunflower for that!
  I hate recording shows I miss so I just grab 'em off the net when I am ready to watch.  Youtube and Hulu are great sites that now have full movies and some old TV that is real fun to catch.
  I was worried that I wouldn't want to watch shows on my PC screen, so my husband set up our 42" TV as a gigantic monitor.

Bill Lee 4 years, 11 months ago

Most TV shows on the internet (YouTube, Hulu, AOL, or the network sites) don't affect Sunflower charges because the shows aren't being downloaded. Now, if you choose to do that so you can save the shows for repeated watching on your big screen after burning them to disc, then your broadband charges might be affected depending on your plan. There are thousands of current or past shows available. I've been watching old westerns like "Have Gun, Will Travel" online this week.

Sigmund 4 years, 11 months ago

Since my favorite shows aren't available in the US in their original form I download them from the interwebs and then watch them when and where I can. That said I am fairly happy with Sunflower's Extend Basic or Bronzed (or whatever) TV service (no converter boxes and ClearQAM) with the exception that Versus HD is encrypted. Why I have no idea since everything else Digital and/or HD in that package is in the clear.

Given DSL's relatively slow speed (which doesn't impact me all that much except for uploads), I'm considering ATT Uverse for my broadband and possibly all-in-one for TV and phone as well. Sunflower's Palladium service looks to be their Bronze level service without the download upload limits ("probably") but with the possibility you may occasionally get Gold level speeds when your segment isn't that busy. Which isn't too bad except when are their segments "not to busy?"

idarastar 4 years, 11 months ago

I am just waiting for the palm pre to have adobe flash on it. I do not really care for t.v. Anyways.

Sigmund 4 years, 11 months ago

While we are on the subject, "Internet companies and civil liberties groups were alarmed this spring when a U.S. Senate bill proposed handing the White House the power to disconnect private-sector computers from the Internet."

Bill would give president emergency control of Internet, by Declan McCullagh, August 28, 2009, CNET News http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10320096-38.html

Sigmund 4 years, 11 months ago

idarastar (Anonymous) says… "I am just waiting for the palm pre to have adobe flash on it."

Palm has joined Adobe's Open Screen Project—an industry initiative designed to bring full web browsing and Flash-based apps to televisions, desktops and mobile devices. http://gizmodo.com/5154269/confirmed-palm-pre-to-support-flash

I am waiting for visual voice mail and for more apps. http://gizmodo.com/5264854/palm-pre-doesnt-have-visual-voicemail

amyc 4 years, 11 months ago

Not with my iSP charging me by the GB for downloading!

notajayhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

edjayhawk (Anonymous) says…

"My monitor would have to be at least 32” for me to do it."

Get a modern TV that you can attach to your computer. Our 42" flat screen is attached to our media center computer by HDMI, full high-def 1080p. More and more computers, and more and more TVs, have this capability. Even with older TVs and computers, it's likely you can connect them with a standard definition connection with composite A/V cables.

March Madness on demand - every single NCAA tournament basketball game available (for free). Missed your favorite show and forgot to record it? Many networks have episodes available for watching (again, 'free,' although with commercials) almost immediately after the show's original broadcast. The internet also has TV shows from around the world available to watch, a nice novelty for our family, even better if you actually speak the language, have been to that country, or are from there and like to keep in touch with local news broadcasts and so forth.

Would I watch ALL my TV on the internet? I'm not sure it would make much difference, if the quality improves just a little bit.

TheJokerObama 4 years, 11 months ago

Already do....goes for movies as well brah! Watching Inglourious Basterds for a 3rd time as we speak brah!

Sigmund 4 years, 11 months ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says… "That might be the most innocent thing you've ever written.But it sure could be looked at with a lot of raised eyebrows!:O"

Sometimes a cigar is just a good smoke.

JJE007 4 years, 11 months ago

I tried that (NETFLIX) but ended it when my SUNFLICKER BROADBAND cost increased $100 a MONTH!

notajayhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

edj;

Be happy to help walk you through it, or at least tell you whether it's possible with your equipment. That is, if you have any interest in doing so. If you're happy with watching TV the way you do, why mess with it?

The major reason ours is hooked up to the computer is because we have over 1,000 movies stored on the media center. If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't have bothered building the media center computer in the first place. My wife would probably be a lot happier in March/April if I had to watch the basketball games sitting at one of the other computers instead of taking over the living room! :)

SpeedRacer 4 years, 11 months ago

Certainly. Who wouldn't want to watch it on a 16 inch screen with crappy sound instead of a 60 inch screen with 5.1 theater surround.

zettapixel 4 years, 11 months ago

A lot of you don't seem to get that you can connect your computer to a 60" HDTV and the audio inputs on your DVD / Blu-Ray player. We do this here at home after ditching cable and the results have been excellent.