Previous   Next

Does it matter to you if the food you buy is grown locally?

Asked at HyVee Food Store, 3504 W. Clinton Parkway on August 29, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I prefer locally grown food because it helps the community.”

“Yes, it does because it’s fresher and we support our farmers.”

“It does not matter to me. … If food can get to my store in three hours, it’s local.”

“I like to buy (local) stuff in the summer.”

Comments

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

yeah, cornfed. I sure liked Rose Buttercup Brown it was a tasty dish. They served them in the grade schools. Butterscotch Pudding in a graham cracker crust wafer shaped in a cup.

Mixolydian 4 years, 7 months ago

When I'm not out chasing the great white whale, I do love locally grown tomatos (or tomatoes for the gentleman from Indiana.)

Darin Wade 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes...I dont support local food its not commercially grown and not inspected for deadly bacteria such as salmonella they use water from rivers and streams and the soil they use does not have the right PH to naturally sanitize the water.

beatrice 4 years, 7 months ago

R-I writes more and more like a politician every day.

Isn't shopping locally enough?

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 7 months ago

Irish (Irish Swearingen) says… "I just go to Walmart for everything."

Hotkey, right? :)

PapaB 4 years, 7 months ago

I'd rather not buy it if I can grow it in my back yard.

Once someone starts growing Doritos locally, I'm all over it.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 7 months ago

I'd like to think my food got to see a little more of the world, before it ends up on my plate.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 7 months ago

No, have no interest in local or not. I just go to Walmart for everything. Simple.

TheJokerObama 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes, but WTF is up with Local Burger? Are they still overpriced, claiming locally grown, and under portioned? I tell stories about that place in CA and people just chuckle and say "those silly kansans."

Seamus 4 years, 7 months ago

Buying from local sources means being able to meet and know the farmer/rancher rather than having to rely upon some faceless government agency to ensure food safety. Studies have also shown that the faster the food gets from the ground to your table, the healthier it is. That being said, the real challenge in America is getting people away from processed foods first, then encouraging buying locally-grown produce/meats.

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

As long as it winds up in my kitchen and could care less where it came from.

Edward Coan 4 years, 7 months ago

I would if I had the money and wasn't so inconvenient.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 7 months ago

Growing and comsuming locally is the Great White Hope in over coming the effects of a hot, flat, and crowded world. We should all stick to our guns on this issue like white on rice, transportation is a black hole in the equation.

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

Wilhelmina Brostermann was the best Bavarian Kreme I had ever had and she was grown along the Rhine. The local girls aren't very tasty. Snob soup has nothing on a sweet tasty pastry.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 7 months ago

Sometimes all I need is the air that I breathe and to love you

and of course all my Klondike Bars are grown locally, what a dumb question!