Previous   Next

Would you buy an electric car?

Asked at Speedway Shell, 1733 Mass. on August 23, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I would. I think it would be interesting to drive.”

“I would not. I just don’t think they’re that interesting.”

“They would have to do a little work on the way the cars look.”

“I don’t know. I don’t really like the way they look or sound and they’re just kind of sketchy.”

Comments

Larry 5 years, 3 months ago

Of course! It would be better for the environment. I wouldn't have to burn gasoline anymore since it only uses electricity. If everyone would purchase an electric car and get rid of these gasoline powered cars, it would be much better. I mean, we get electricity from, let's see........coal fired plants (which we can't build in Kansas) or Nuclear Power (which we don't want to build any new ones) so if everyone goes electric, we'll have to build more of these plants.. OH never mind, I'll just stick with gasoline powered cars.

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

Yes, but I want it to be a static electricity car. You have to rub a balloon on the side of it to get it started.

tomatogrower 5 years, 3 months ago

The comments of 3 of the people are just so superficial. It's has to be cool, or they don't want anything to do with it. They are the ones who look at the interiors, instead of the engine, affordability, and reliability. They are also the ones that US manufacturers were catering to, and why, when caught by the rising gas prices, they always get bit in the behind.

Gareth Skarka 5 years, 3 months ago

Ah, yes -- the students are back in town, so the LJ On The Street questions will now be exclusively asked of ignorant, overprivileged children, too lacking in drive, ambition or intelligence to be accepted anywhere other than a third-rate state university.

labmonkey 5 years, 3 months ago

Tomato and Gareth-

I have said the same thing about hybrids...and I agree with those three. If I am going to spend thousands of dollars on a vehicle, I want to like how it looks. Right now the main choice for a deicent Hybrid (the Prius) looks like an ugly little econobox. That is why I am kind of excited for the Chevy Volt...which actually looks like a real car.

Why don't the two of you get your smug nose out of the air...and keep your eyes open when you say "thanks." We don't need a smug cloud over Lawrence.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Only if the government gives me the incentive of free health care and the money to do so. I figure it should be triple (the way inflation is) over what was offered with the clunkers for cash program.

Better yet, if the government will give me the car I'll supply my own electricity.....from your source......in the middle of the night......while eating chocolate bars.......

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

Gareth Going to University is a privilege, like it is a privilege to work two jobs, go to school full time, get accepted into a masters program, and be dissed by some ignorant jerk who doesn't know what he is talking about. We should be proud of our university and proud of the students who come from all over the world to attend. KU is infinite diversity in infinite combination. Rock Chalk, Jayhawk. KU!!

Gareth Skarka 5 years, 3 months ago

"Irish" -- look outside of your pathetic, provincial little backwater and at some REAL universities.

KU is nothing but "13th through 16th grade"-- a joke of a school that barely exists as an excuse to run a for-profit Athletics corporation.

LiberalDude 5 years, 3 months ago

Yes - It would cost less money to run and hurt the oil companies. Two wins!

Chrissy Neibarger 5 years, 3 months ago

Larry (Anonymous) says… "coal fired plants (which we can't build in Kansas) or Nuclear Power (which we don't want to build any new ones)"

If we built more wind powered turbines or put more PV out there, then that would solve that issue..

Anyways, yes. I am looking forward to the day that I can afford one. Anything to take a jab at the oil companies.

TheJokerObama 5 years, 3 months ago

I think it's too early to say how much you will save. It sounds too good to be true at the moment but we haven't seen it work long term yet. I have questions that can't be answered yet. Are the cars going to be reliable in 5 - 10 years? Are the cars going to boom to S.U.V. size again for the douchebags that think looks are everything?

TopJayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

Been saying it for years. Hybrids are back-asswards. You should have a small electric engine charge the generator, which turns traction motors. you should also have a "dynamic brake" that reverses the polarity in the traction motors, and turns them from motors to generators to charge the battery when you want to slow down. They act as a partial brake. Not new technology, been around since the '40's and that is how train locomotives work. Just another example of the backward thinking engineers in this country.
I'm glad the "Volt" is getting it right.

TopJayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

South Korea is also working on a hygrogen powered car that makes its own hydrogen on board. I've been saying for yrs they ought to do this too. Again, not new technology, I ain't that smart. It's been around since the '50's and in use on nuclear subs.
Another shining example of backward thinking on the part of this countries engineers.
"Oh no, it will take yrs to do that." What a crock.