Previous   Next

Would you buy an electric car?

Asked at Speedway Shell, 1733 Mass. on August 23, 2009

Browse the archives

“Yes, I would. I think it would be interesting to drive.”

“I would not. I just don’t think they’re that interesting.”

“They would have to do a little work on the way the cars look.”

“I don’t know. I don’t really like the way they look or sound and they’re just kind of sketchy.”

Comments

Agnostick 4 years, 7 months ago

I would rate an electric car the same way I would rate any vehicle purchase. I would look at safety ratings, crash-test results, purchase price, cost of ownership, fuel costs, insurance costs. Of course I would test drive the car with all humans in my family (the dog doesn't care, as long as his favorite pillow is on the seat), I would want plenty of leg room, head room, lots of seat adjustments and steering wheel adjustments. I'd take all these things, and more, into consideration.

Solar energy can be used to generate electricity--it cannot be converted into gasoline. As far as we know, the sun is going to be around a lot longer than our ever-shrinking supply of fossil fuels. Home solar panels are one way electricity could be generated to at least partially power an electric vehicle.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

couranna1 4 years, 7 months ago

gareth you are truly an ignorant a$$ with no clue what you are talking about & yes I want fries with that LMAO @ you

TopJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

South Korea is also working on a hygrogen powered car that makes its own hydrogen on board. I've been saying for yrs they ought to do this too. Again, not new technology, I ain't that smart. It's been around since the '50's and in use on nuclear subs.
Another shining example of backward thinking on the part of this countries engineers.
"Oh no, it will take yrs to do that." What a crock.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Been saying it for years. Hybrids are back-asswards. You should have a small electric engine charge the generator, which turns traction motors. you should also have a "dynamic brake" that reverses the polarity in the traction motors, and turns them from motors to generators to charge the battery when you want to slow down. They act as a partial brake. Not new technology, been around since the '40's and that is how train locomotives work. Just another example of the backward thinking engineers in this country.
I'm glad the "Volt" is getting it right.

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

How accessible are the parts to fix it and the tires to replace it and who would I get to work on it?

TheJokerObama 4 years, 7 months ago

I think it's too early to say how much you will save. It sounds too good to be true at the moment but we haven't seen it work long term yet. I have questions that can't be answered yet. Are the cars going to be reliable in 5 - 10 years? Are the cars going to boom to S.U.V. size again for the douchebags that think looks are everything?

fleeba 4 years, 7 months ago

Larry (Anonymous) says… "coal fired plants (which we can't build in Kansas) or Nuclear Power (which we don't want to build any new ones)"

If we built more wind powered turbines or put more PV out there, then that would solve that issue..

Anyways, yes. I am looking forward to the day that I can afford one. Anything to take a jab at the oil companies.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

LiberalDude (Anonymous) says…

Yes - It would cost less money to run and hurt the oil companies. Two wins!"

Marion writes:

But recharging helps out the coal-fired power plants.

Now what?

And what do the rest of the people so if you "liberal" loons do "hurt the oil companies" and fuel costs rise extravagantly?

Ever heard of yardarms?

Yardarms can hold up more things than sails!

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

Expensive and impractical; mostly reliant on fossil fuel anyway.

LiberalDude 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes - It would cost less money to run and hurt the oil companies. Two wins!

BuenaVista 4 years, 7 months ago

Gareth was that kid in highschool and college that had no friends.

Gareth 4 years, 7 months ago

"Irish" -- look outside of your pathetic, provincial little backwater and at some REAL universities.

KU is nothing but "13th through 16th grade"-- a joke of a school that barely exists as an excuse to run a for-profit Athletics corporation.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 7 months ago

Gareth Going to University is a privilege, like it is a privilege to work two jobs, go to school full time, get accepted into a masters program, and be dissed by some ignorant jerk who doesn't know what he is talking about. We should be proud of our university and proud of the students who come from all over the world to attend. KU is infinite diversity in infinite combination. Rock Chalk, Jayhawk. KU!!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 7 months ago

Only if the government gives me the incentive of free health care and the money to do so. I figure it should be triple (the way inflation is) over what was offered with the clunkers for cash program.

Better yet, if the government will give me the car I'll supply my own electricity.....from your source......in the middle of the night......while eating chocolate bars.......

labmonkey 4 years, 7 months ago

Tomato and Gareth-

I have said the same thing about hybrids...and I agree with those three. If I am going to spend thousands of dollars on a vehicle, I want to like how it looks. Right now the main choice for a deicent Hybrid (the Prius) looks like an ugly little econobox. That is why I am kind of excited for the Chevy Volt...which actually looks like a real car.

Why don't the two of you get your smug nose out of the air...and keep your eyes open when you say "thanks." We don't need a smug cloud over Lawrence.

Gareth 4 years, 7 months ago

Ah, yes -- the students are back in town, so the LJ On The Street questions will now be exclusively asked of ignorant, overprivileged children, too lacking in drive, ambition or intelligence to be accepted anywhere other than a third-rate state university.

tomatogrower 4 years, 7 months ago

The comments of 3 of the people are just so superficial. It's has to be cool, or they don't want anything to do with it. They are the ones who look at the interiors, instead of the engine, affordability, and reliability. They are also the ones that US manufacturers were catering to, and why, when caught by the rising gas prices, they always get bit in the behind.

farfle 4 years, 7 months ago

As long as there are people texting while driving i'll keep my Ford F-150.

beatrice 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes, but I want it to be a static electricity car. You have to rub a balloon on the side of it to get it started.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 7 months ago

Does this come free in addition to the quarter billion, or do I have to buy it?

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

Prospector, are you saying, "drill, baby! drill!"? I believe I could run my truck on NG pretty easy.

prospector 4 years, 7 months ago

No, a natural gas vehicle would be cheaper to buy and operate. Today you would be going down the road at the equivalent of $1.00/gallon. Boone knows what he is talking about.

Machiavelli_mania 4 years, 7 months ago

Yes, absolutely, been looking into it.

autie 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm pretty sure my truck won't run now without a certain amount of electricity. No, I'll stick with my fossil fuel mode.

Larry 4 years, 7 months ago

Of course! It would be better for the environment. I wouldn't have to burn gasoline anymore since it only uses electricity. If everyone would purchase an electric car and get rid of these gasoline powered cars, it would be much better. I mean, we get electricity from, let's see........coal fired plants (which we can't build in Kansas) or Nuclear Power (which we don't want to build any new ones) so if everyone goes electric, we'll have to build more of these plants.. OH never mind, I'll just stick with gasoline powered cars.

Donnuts 4 years, 7 months ago

No, I bought a bike instead. It was cheaper.