Previous   Next

What is your favorite KU tradition?

Asked at the Kansas Union, 1301 Jayhawk Blvd. on August 16, 2009

Browse the archives

“Definitely Kansas basketball. It’s really energetic and fun to watch. Hopefully we’ll get another championship this year.”

“Waving the wheat, but I haven’t done it myself.”

“Kansas basketball, camping out for the game.”

“Football and the Rock Chalk chant.”

Comments

Roland Gunslinger 4 years, 8 months ago

jaywalker

Shh Truth be told I went to school at K-State. ;)

Roland Gunslinger 4 years, 8 months ago

Stat_guy,

No I don't mind when my name gets used, most of the time. I'm not a student but I sometimes wish I was that age again. LOL. I guess my numbers have shot up this past month with all the debate on health care reform, plus the other places I usually express my opinions have become rather boring.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 8 months ago

3.2 beer at the old TeePee when it was open as a bar.

Dark beer at the Bierstube when there was no 3.2 dark beer.

Schlitz six-packs smuggled into JRP.

Road racing around Potter's Puddle in cars that are now worth a Gazillion Dollars.

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 8 months ago

A Joe's Run for hot donuts after a midnight scream during fall finals.

autie 4 years, 8 months ago

WELL, it ain't carrying stuff up 16 flights of stairs a half a dozen times....My hammies are locking up after that little excursion.

jaywalker 4 years, 8 months ago

vertigo,

Man, did I have to carry your drunk arse outta Perkins? ! Working there was my official burnout from waiting tables back in the day. Frat boys were horrible customers and worse tippers!

In my day, my favorite traditon was progressive pitchers at the Hawk and Hawk glasses. Joe's Bakery midnight study runs were right there, too.

dajudge 4 years, 8 months ago

Streaking down Jayhawlk Blvd. at midnight in the full moon.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 8 months ago

Stat_Guys The only trouble with that is that the pc had not been invented when I was at KU. We used typewriters. What about us old geezers and geezerettes?

edjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

The homecoming parade. It use to be Band Day, but all of that has changed with only 25 bands and not a downtown parade.

Stat_Guys 4 years, 8 months ago

Just for fun we might note some might consider coming to school and then getting hooked on the LJW comment section a KU tradition.

We've recently noticed a few naysayers who have had some changes in their numbers and we don't want to inhibit their participation by mentioning names but we think Jesse is good sport enough and well ensconced around here to not mind our using him as an example.

Not long ago he pointed out his lack of commenting. His posting level a month ago based over his long membership was .053. In about one month he has raised that to .107 and it appears he's been having a great time doing it. We've enjoyed his posts and hope to see more of them.

Mr. Anderson, perhaps a poll is in order so show if a reader became a LJW user as a student or not?

volunteer 4 years, 8 months ago

Females* doing the traditional pom-pon routines to the traditional KU songs. A tall black gal in the early 70's was the best. They have seemed a bit nonchalant recently.

prospector 4 years, 8 months ago

First windy day of Spring Dress season in the spring.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 8 months ago

First day of Spring Dress season in the spring.

toe 4 years, 8 months ago

Watching people spend money.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 8 months ago

Traying down Daisy HIll, hating to walk back up Daisy HIll, the night we tore the goalposts down, everything that goes with a basketball game at Allen Field House. Rock Chalk Jayhawk, KU Now my granddaughter has done those things and is working on her masters. How in the hell did so much time go by?

Roland Gunslinger 4 years, 8 months ago

Drinking until you throw up, getting into a fistfight, passing out at Perkins, waking up the next day vowing to never drink again, repeat same process very next weekend.

oldvet 4 years, 8 months ago

Football and the kickoff yell... rip 'em off !

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

If you're gonna wave wheat, make it the Free State variety and be sure not to spill it.

classclown 4 years, 8 months ago

Students leaving in the summer.